Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tea42,yyuryyub,Howyoudoin,Anonymous,EverybodyKnows, for Donating to support the site

General ledger template or software

Startups, marketing and more
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3563
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 1124 times
Been thanked: 1069 times

General ledger template or software

#506105

Postby GoSeigen » June 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm

Can anyone recommend either a decent Excel template or very cheap software to knock up some initial accounts for a very simple business with a low transaction level?

The business does property leasing, so there are rents collected monthly, interest paid on funding, expenses such as monthly insurance and tenant security deposits taken. There are no purchases and sales, no inventory and no employees, just a director. At any one time there are on average two or three tenants.

I want to quickly get perhaps a General Ledger up to see how things look while we are evaluating what accounting software to purchase for the longer term.

Can accountants/bookkeepers also advise whether, given the type of business, I should just do the accounts on cash basis or is accrual basis better? I'm a newbie to both...

TIA.

GS

BullDog
Lemon Slice
Posts: 764
Joined: November 18th, 2021, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506109

Postby BullDog » June 9th, 2022, 4:42 pm

I suggest taking a look at Quick File. I ran my own small consultancy business on it. For basic book keeping etc it is completely free of charge. It's quite intuitive to set up and best of all, the community support is very good if you have a question. HTH.

Link - https://www.quickfile.co.uk/

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3563
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 1124 times
Been thanked: 1069 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506209

Postby GoSeigen » June 10th, 2022, 7:30 am

BullDog wrote:I suggest taking a look at Quick File. I ran my own small consultancy business on it. For basic book keeping etc it is completely free of charge. It's quite intuitive to set up and best of all, the community support is very good if you have a question. HTH.

Link - https://www.quickfile.co.uk/


Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1098
Joined: November 13th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506211

Postby bluedonkey » June 10th, 2022, 7:40 am

Have a look at VT.

BullDog
Lemon Slice
Posts: 764
Joined: November 18th, 2021, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506212

Postby BullDog » June 10th, 2022, 7:44 am

GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:I suggest taking a look at Quick File. I ran my own small consultancy business on it. For basic book keeping etc it is completely free of charge. It's quite intuitive to set up and best of all, the community support is very good if you have a question. HTH.

Link - https://www.quickfile.co.uk/


Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

When I was using it, I found the user dashboard to be pretty good, but I suppose everyone has a different definition of clunky!
Actually, I think it might be worth you asking those questions at the support forum and/or taking a look at the knowledge base. I didn't have to do either of those things when running my small consultancy business. Sorry I can't be of more help.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3563
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 1124 times
Been thanked: 1069 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506318

Postby GoSeigen » June 10th, 2022, 4:50 pm

BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:I suggest taking a look at Quick File. I ran my own small consultancy business on it. For basic book keeping etc it is completely free of charge. It's quite intuitive to set up and best of all, the community support is very good if you have a question. HTH.

Link - https://www.quickfile.co.uk/


Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

When I was using it, I found the user dashboard to be pretty good, but I suppose everyone has a different definition of clunky!
Actually, I think it might be worth you asking those questions at the support forum and/or taking a look at the knowledge base. I didn't have to do either of those things when running my small consultancy business. Sorry I can't be of more help.


Just to give a simple example, perhaps you can help: today I tried to set up a monthly recurring transaction for the rent from a property. Seems it had to be done with a recurring invoice, but I am also doing transactions going back a few months and I could not find any way to start the recurring invoice from a past date.

But have to say I think being stuck with GBP only is going to be an insurmountable problem.

GS

BullDog
Lemon Slice
Posts: 764
Joined: November 18th, 2021, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506321

Postby BullDog » June 10th, 2022, 5:01 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:I suggest taking a look at Quick File. I ran my own small consultancy business on it. For basic book keeping etc it is completely free of charge. It's quite intuitive to set up and best of all, the community support is very good if you have a question. HTH.

Link - https://www.quickfile.co.uk/


Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

When I was using it, I found the user dashboard to be pretty good, but I suppose everyone has a different definition of clunky!
Actually, I think it might be worth you asking those questions at the support forum and/or taking a look at the knowledge base. I didn't have to do either of those things when running my small consultancy business. Sorry I can't be of more help.


Just to give a simple example, perhaps you can help: today I tried to set up a monthly recurring transaction for the rent from a property. Seems it had to be done with a recurring invoice, but I am also doing transactions going back a few months and I could not find any way to start the recurring invoice from a past date.

But have to say I think being stuck with GBP only is going to be an insurmountable problem.

GS

I see. To keep things simple what I did was - My business would invoice in Euros (for example) and be paid in Euros. The invoice sent to the client(s) was from outside of Quickfile, using an XL template and the print to pdf function. I used Wise (formerly Transferwise) as my business bank account. I transferred everything on receipt within Wise into GBP. Within Quickfile I raised a dummy GBP invoice that I did not send to the client. All my transactions within Quickfile were in GBP. All the FX stuff was done outside the book keeping package. I realise this was for a small consultancy with few transactions and so was easy to manage. Everything wwas accounted for in GBP, start to finish. Perhaps you have far more FX issues than I had. Still might be worth seeing what other Quickfile users are doing before you write the system off? Hope that helps you.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3563
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 1124 times
Been thanked: 1069 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506324

Postby GoSeigen » June 10th, 2022, 5:11 pm

BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

When I was using it, I found the user dashboard to be pretty good, but I suppose everyone has a different definition of clunky!
Actually, I think it might be worth you asking those questions at the support forum and/or taking a look at the knowledge base. I didn't have to do either of those things when running my small consultancy business. Sorry I can't be of more help.


Just to give a simple example, perhaps you can help: today I tried to set up a monthly recurring transaction for the rent from a property. Seems it had to be done with a recurring invoice, but I am also doing transactions going back a few months and I could not find any way to start the recurring invoice from a past date.

But have to say I think being stuck with GBP only is going to be an insurmountable problem.

GS

I see. To keep things simple what I did was - My business would invoice in Euros (for example) and be paid in Euros. The invoice sent to the client(s) was from outside of Quickfile, using an XL template and the print to pdf function. I used Wise (formerly Transferwise) as my business bank account. I transferred everything on receipt within Wise into GBP. Within Quickfile I raised a dummy GBP invoice that I did not send to the client. All my transactions within Quickfile were in GBP. All the FX stuff was done outside the book keeping package. I realise this was for a small consultancy with few transactions and so was easy to manage. Everything wwas accounted for in GBP, start to finish. Perhaps you have far more FX issues than I had. Still might be worth seeing what other Quickfile users are doing before you write the system off? Hope that helps you.


To be honest I could just use the package and pretend the pound signs are my local currency signs, and it would work fine. By doing that I think I'd be foregoing other useful functionality both in QuickFile and in other software I could be using instead. That is a decision for the future though and I thank you for the heads up. I don't think I'd have come across it otherwise.

Many people around here use Sage and I'd like to try it but I am hugely put off by the fact that even their home page won't display properly in my browser (Firefox) -- showing only the menu items at the top -- whereas 98% of other sites I access seem to have learned how to use markup in the short 30 years of its existence! Can anyone suggest what the problem might be. I haven't tried other browsers yet, but a private window didn't help, nor did deleting cookies etc.

GS

BullDog
Lemon Slice
Posts: 764
Joined: November 18th, 2021, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506330

Postby BullDog » June 10th, 2022, 5:53 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Thanks BullDog, I had a look at QuickFile last night. One or two reservations:

1. It's highly UK-centric while my business is based overseas. I maybe should have made that clear.
2. The interface on the face of it looks a bit clunky. Am I missing something? I entered the property purchase and initial capital from our conveyancer's invoice and it took quite some time to figure out the nuances. I suppose adding transactions directly in the bank accounts is more straightforward?
3. I'm a bit skittish about cloud-only services. Do you know if it's easy to import backup data to other packages like Sage/Quickbooks etc when the time comes?

In other respects it seems to meet my initial bookkeeping needs -- comprehensive and nicely implemented.

GS

When I was using it, I found the user dashboard to be pretty good, but I suppose everyone has a different definition of clunky!
Actually, I think it might be worth you asking those questions at the support forum and/or taking a look at the knowledge base. I didn't have to do either of those things when running my small consultancy business. Sorry I can't be of more help.


Just to give a simple example, perhaps you can help: today I tried to set up a monthly recurring transaction for the rent from a property. Seems it had to be done with a recurring invoice, but I am also doing transactions going back a few months and I could not find any way to start the recurring invoice from a past date.

But have to say I think being stuck with GBP only is going to be an insurmountable problem.

GS

I see. To keep things simple what I did was - My business would invoice in Euros (for example) and be paid in Euros. The invoice sent to the client(s) was from outside of Quickfile, using an XL template and the print to pdf function. I used Wise (formerly Transferwise) as my business bank account. I transferred everything on receipt within Wise into GBP. Within Quickfile I raised a dummy GBP invoice that I did not send to the client. All my transactions within Quickfile were in GBP. All the FX stuff was done outside the book keeping package. I realise this was for a small consultancy with few transactions and so was easy to manage. Everything wwas accounted for in GBP, start to finish. Perhaps you have far more FX issues than I had. Still might be worth seeing what other Quickfile users are doing before you write the system off? Hope that helps you.


To be honest I could just use the package and pretend the pound signs are my local currency signs, and it would work fine. By doing that I think I'd be foregoing other useful functionality both in QuickFile and in other software I could be using instead. That is a decision for the future though and I thank you for the heads up. I don't think I'd have come across it otherwise.

Many people around here use Sage and I'd like to try it but I am hugely put off by the fact that even their home page won't display properly in my browser (Firefox) -- showing only the menu items at the top -- whereas 98% of other sites I access seem to have learned how to use markup in the short 30 years of its existence! Can anyone suggest what the problem might be. I haven't tried other browsers yet, but a private window didn't help, nor did deleting cookies etc.

GS

Very glad to be at least partially of assistance. A bit left field maybe, if you have a business bank account with NatWest, you are entitled to a free subscription to a package called FreeAgent. Now, that absolutely does fully support FX in multiple currencies etc..... I was a bit hesitant and recommended Quickfile over FreeAgent, but it's probably more suited to your needs. FreeAgent was targeted originally at the freelance community (where I first came across it) but I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be suitable for your needs. Normally there's a monthly subscription. But it comes for free with NatWest business accounts. Hope that helps, even if only a bit.

servodude
Lemon Half
Posts: 5356
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 2498 times
Been thanked: 1833 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506418

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2022, 2:22 am

I had a look at Wave https://www.waveapps.com/ a while back but decided it was overkill for what I needed (went with Harvest as it was just invoicing for a couple of contracts at a time)

Might be worth a look

gpadsa
Posts: 7
Joined: April 12th, 2021, 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: General ledger template or software

#506603

Postby gpadsa » June 12th, 2022, 10:05 am

Maybe gnucash can do it? https://www.gnucash.org/

From website: "GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows."

"Feature Highlights

Double-Entry Accounting
Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
Small-Business Accounting
Reports, Graphs
QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
Scheduled Transactions
Financial Calculations"


Return to “Running a Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests