Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

'Tis the Season

Startups, marketing and more
AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

'Tis the Season

Postby AndyPandy » November 18th, 2018, 9:43 pm

There seems to be a veritable tsunami of Political Correctness going on at the moment,some justified and some carrying things a bit too far.

We'd like to send out some Christmas cards this year that say (sharp intake of breath) "Merry Christmas" inside, with a decidedly Christmassy theme outside (but non-religious).

Some of our biggest clients are Councils and large Charities. Do you think there is a risk we could be seen as not ticking the equality boxes and being penalised accordingly should we send one to them? We could just not include those on our list and stick to smaller firms that are not so in the public view.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: 'Tis the Season

Postby Slarti » November 19th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Not something that I ever worried about and I not only had government and charity clients but at least one company run by a Muslim family.

Only comments I ever got were favourable ones.

Slarti

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 19th, 2018, 11:09 pm

out of curtiosity...

where would one send a christmas card to " a council client" ? a specified person? A department?

And which desk would it actually end up on? The named inidivdual maybe... or a general secretary/receptionist for a depeartment.

If the latter what woild thisn receptionist do with a veryu gfeneral mcard sent to the department? Stick it a table in recption along with all the others?

Back to the individual - what are they l;ikely to do with it? Stick it on theior desk/wall? Ot just put it with all the others in reception?

And who is actually going to scan all these carsd and decide whether they are non-PC and THEN decide whether the sender will be on a blacklist or whatever? Having obviously kept the envelope and return address with the card at all times until such decsions are made?

Nahh...

nobody isgoing to be THAT sad surely?

didds

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 20th, 2018, 5:06 pm

didds wrote:out of curtiosity...

where would one send a christmas card to " a council client" ? a specified person? A department?

And which desk would it actually end up on? The named inidivdual maybe... or a general secretary/receptionist for a depeartment.

Always to specific named people. In my case usually most of finance and those people in IT I had regular dealings with.

When they were physical they would seem to end up on that individual's desk. When I moved to email cards (self made) they often ended as desktop wallpaper for a week or 3.

Slarti

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » November 21st, 2018, 11:19 am

didds wrote:out of curtiosity...

didds

Always a named person i.e. the person that I deal with. That's the point - it's a personal 'thank you'. People deal with people, however big the Company is.

What they do with it (desk, top of Department Filing Cabinet, circular floor-based filing cabinet, Equality and diversity Department) is up to them.

Update. Fellow Director has been onto one Client's website and they are promoting all sorts of Christmas events and items to purchase, so I'm probably overthinking it all.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » November 21st, 2018, 11:25 am

In some American companies "Merry Christmas" is frowned upon and "Happy Holidays" is considered the appropriate language but if the Christmas card is to be decidedly "Christmassy" on the outside I don't see much point avoiding saying "Merry Christmas" on the inside!

Pendrainllwyn

Return to “Running a Business”