Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New Super Deduction capital allowances

Startups, marketing and more
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

New Super Deduction capital allowances

Postby Wizard » March 4th, 2021, 1:49 pm

I am interested in the Super Deduction capital allowances announced in the Budget yesterday, but have yet to find anything giving details of what investments will qualify. Is anyone in the know or can anyone point me at a reasonable source. Or do we have to wait for the Finance Bill to be published?

Thanks in advance.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Super Deduction capital allowances

Postby Charlottesquare » March 4th, 2021, 4:39 pm

The 130% applies to plant and machinery that would normally have received the 18% WDA re capital allowances or at 50% re that which would normally have received 6%, this is the draft legislation but you need to read it with Part 2 Capital Allowances Act 2001 (CAA 2001) open at the same time- I am waiting for PWC/similar to write a handy commentary.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uction.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... april-2021

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 6th, 2021, 1:32 pm

We are planning to open up a new premises in the next few month but I am unsure of the tax treatment of the various expenditure. We will be spending about £50k refitting a shop premises. How is this treated for tax and accounting purposes by HMRC? Will we get any of the super deductions?

John

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 10th, 2021, 5:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:We are planning to open up a new premises in the next few month but I am unsure of the tax treatment of the various expenditure. We will be spending about £50k refitting a shop premises. How is this treated for tax and accounting purposes by HMRC? Will we get any of the super deductions?

John

You first need to split the works into that which is an integral feature and that which is distinct piece of plant and machinery and that which is neither, there is a decent chance a lot will be neither. So a freedstanding heater or cash register is likely plant, the heating system installed within the building is likely an integral feature, the studboard partition is probably neither.

The enhanced 130%/50% does depend which of the two categories items fall within.

This is helpful re integral features:

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/capital-al ... al-feature

I will caveat that I did little re such allowances when in practice so you likely want an up to speed accountant to walk you through.

Return to “Running a Business”