Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Global Trackers and Div Tax

Practical Issues
Snowbadger
Lemon Pip

Global Trackers and Div Tax

Postby Snowbadger » July 14th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Should global trackers such as VWRL and HWMO have the dividends recorded as foreign income on tax returns?

Thanks in advance,

SB

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Global Trackers and Div Tax

Postby Alaric » July 14th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Snowbadger wrote:Should global trackers such as VWRL and HWMO have the dividends recorded as foreign income on tax returns?

I think the answer is yes, but not because of what they invest in, but because they are domiciled in Dublin, assuming they are. You should receive a statement of dividend income for the tax year from your platform or Broker which itemises where income comes from.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 14th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Alaric wrote:
Snowbadger wrote:Should global trackers such as VWRL and HWMO have the dividends recorded as foreign income on tax returns?

I think the answer is yes, but not because of what they invest in, but because they are domiciled in Dublin, assuming they are. You should receive a statement of dividend income for the tax year from your platform or Broker which itemises where income comes from.

Many ETFs are domiciled in either Dublin or Luxembourg, for tax reasons. Either way it counts as foreign income. There are also ETFs domiciled in the US, Canada and elsewhere. As far as I know there are no UK-domiciled ETFs but I might be wrong about that.

The country of domicile matters because it is the tax treaty that country has with other countries that matters, and not the tax treaty that the UK has with those other countries.

Snowbadger
Lemon Pip

Postby Snowbadger » July 14th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Thanks for the prompt response as I am about to start filling in the Self Assessment forms. Am I correct in thinking the tax treatment is no different to a uk dividend.

Cheers,

SB

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 14th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Snowbadger wrote:Thanks for the prompt response as I am about to start filling in the Self Assessment forms. Am I correct in thinking the tax treatment is no different to a uk dividend.

Cheers,

SB
It depends if there is any withholding tax. Usually nil for RoI ETFs.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”