Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Stamp duty when owned BTL but not resided

Practical Issues
ouroboros

Stamp duty when owned BTL but not resided

Postby ouroboros » November 15th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Hello,

I own a few UK rental properties, but I've never resided in a property I've owned in the UK. Looking to now buy to reside. Given I've separately paid my BTL stamp duty, am I entitled to be treated as a first time buyer/first property owner within the stamp duty rules? Many thanks for any feedback.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Stamp duty when owned BTL but not resided

Postby mutantpoodle » November 17th, 2020, 8:23 am

my daughter in similar position
she has been told NO, she will not be considered a first time buyer, and WILL be hit with extra stamp duty......even if a deal completes before end March

We would be delighted if you can find some solid positive confirmation to the contrary

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » November 17th, 2020, 11:08 am

There was a thread on TLF some time ago where this was discussed. As I recall.....and I could be wrong....if you are buying a main home i.e. what will be your principle private residence you will have to pay stamp duty at current rates but not the 3% surcharge.

There are 3 main types of buyer.
1. First time buyers.....exempt up to £500K until 31/3/2021 then exempt up to £300K
2. Buyers subject to normal SDLT rates.
3. Investors subject to normal SDLT rates + 3% surcharge.

EmptyGlass

Postby EmptyGlass » November 17th, 2020, 2:59 pm

ouroboros wrote:Hello,

I own a few UK rental properties, but I've never resided in a property I've owned in the UK. Looking to now buy to reside. Given I've separately paid my BTL stamp duty, am I entitled to be treated as a first time buyer/first property owner within the stamp duty rules? Many thanks for any feedback.

See https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=251830#p251830 & https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

You will NOT be liable to the extra stamp duty because it will be your main home.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”