Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Employment/first pay packet straddles 6th April

Practical Issues
TurboukToo2

Employment/first pay packet straddles 6th April

Postby TurboukToo2 » April 30th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Hi

Completing the 20/21 Self Assessment and not sure how to deal with the following scenario. Job started on 23rd February 21 - so employed in the 20/21 tax year. Payroll have only now got my details sorted out so my first payslip issued 30th April and includes back pay to 23rd February. Admittedly I dont have the actual payslip yet but can see on the HMRC website HMRC see it as one payment for April and have accordingly overestimated my expected pay for the year.

Do I include this employment on the 20/21 self assessment and put zero income as it was an "employment" in that tax year? or leave off this self assessment and capture it all in the 21/22 self assessment as first "income" was in this new tax year?

Thanks!

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Employment/first pay packet straddles 6th April

Postby moorfield » April 30th, 2021, 3:29 pm

TurboukToo2 wrote:Hi

Completing the 20/21 Self Assessment and not sure how to deal with the following scenario. Job started on 23rd February 21 - so employed in the 20/21 tax year. Payroll have only now got my details sorted out so my first payslip issued 30th April and includes back pay to 23rd February. Admittedly I dont have the actual payslip yet but can see on the HMRC website HMRC see it as one payment for April and have accordingly overestimated my expected pay for the year.

Do I include this employment on the 20/21 self assessment and put zero income as it was an "employment" in that tax year? or leave off this self assessment and capture it all in the 21/22 self assessment as first "income" was in this new tax year?

Thanks!

I would start by asking your payroll dept to give you a P60 statement for 2020/21 and that Payslip, which should settle the question. It sounds like the "tax point" of your first payment is 30 April which falls in this tax year 2021/22, in which case a P60 for 2020/21 should show no taxable earnings. You have plenty of time this year to get any Self Assessment sorted by the way.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Employment/first pay packet straddles 6th April

Postby pochisoldi » April 30th, 2021, 3:31 pm

TurboukToo2 wrote:Hi

Thanks!

Assumption: You are not claiming any tax deductions (e.g. working from home expenses)

You don't report anything for the employer for 20/21. (not even employers details+"zero income").

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”