Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HMRC Self Assessment Payment Problem

Practical Issues
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: HMRC Self Assessment Payment Problem

Postby Alaric » July 4th, 2021, 10:39 am

bluedonkey wrote: I shudder at the thought of HMRC having a direct debit mandate over my bank account!

Isn't that going to work only if HMRC know exactly what the taxpayer owes?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 4th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Alaric wrote:
bluedonkey wrote: I shudder at the thought of HMRC having a direct debit mandate over my bank account!

I suspect it's more likely to work only if HMRC think they know exactly what the taxpayer owes...

Gengulphus

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » July 4th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Alaric wrote:

Having set the mandate up, I was able to set the date and the amount of the payment. We shall see what happens.

HMRC already have my bank details (it's an interest bearing account so the interest/account has to be reported), and as I understand it, soon HMRC will be prepoplating bits of my tax return with e.g. bank interest. Also, banks have to report your interest direct to HMRC (I've had to deal with the result of this on two occasions, one they were correct when my mother hadn't reported all her bank interest; another when HMRC tried to tax me again for interest that had already been declared and paid because their computer systems had got in a muddle and hadn't tied up together). I also understand that HMRC have some pretty wideranging powers if they want to take money due from my account anyway. On the plus side, the payment should have the protection of the direct debit system, so that's better than nowt!

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » July 6th, 2021, 1:11 pm

Further to my various attempts to pay HMRC, the first debit card was blocked because it was a third payment in a row to HMRC.

I eventually paid that by bank transfer.

I called today Nationwide to clear the blocked card. What a faff. They had tried to call me and text but I wasn,t able to respond until today.

The second debit card was maybe blocked because I hadn,t used it for ages so I requested a new pin.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”