Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

IHT Planning Questions

Practical Issues
jdoe

IHT Planning Questions

Postby jdoe » June 21st, 2021, 12:18 am

I posted a question in the legal forum, but it was suggested I should also post a link to it here for more expert opinions.

But it seems I can't post the link.

Can anyone figure it out from this bit of the link address? /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29940&p=421035#p421035

A bit of a newbie when it comes to forums!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: IHT Planning Questions

Postby Gengulphus » June 21st, 2021, 9:00 pm

jdoe wrote:I posted a question in the legal forum, but it was suggested I should also post a link to it here for more expert opinions.

But it seems I can't post the link.

Can anyone figure it out from this bit of the link address? /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29940&p=421035#p421035

The full form of a suitable link is https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=421035#p421035, though if you straightforwardly put that into a post, the posting software will leave out the initial "https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/" when displaying the post - i.e. readers will see just viewtopic.php?p=421035#p421035. Copy-and-pasting that as text won't produce a valid link because of the part the posting software has left out, which I think is the essence of the problem you've encountered.

But I think it would be more helpful to tell you how to get the proper link yourself, so that you know what to do if you encounter a similar problem in the future. It's quite easy if you know how: bring up the post you want the link to and you'll see a small print number preceded by a '#' just before the "by AuthorName > DateAndTime" subheading (for example, in the post of yours I'm replying to, it's "#421037"). Click on that number and a box should pop up briefly saying "Copied!", which indicates that you've just done the first part of copying-and-pasting the link, and so just need to finish the job by pasting it where you want it.

Gengulphus

jdoe

Postby jdoe » June 22nd, 2021, 10:43 pm

Hmm. Seems a bit complicated.

What I actually did was to select the page I wanted to post a link to and then simply copy the page address as shown in my (Firefox) browser address bar.

I then pasted that address into my post and clicked on 'submit'.

But the post was not submitted to the forum and instead I got the message "You are not approved to post links" . . . which implied to me that I was not allowed to post links, rather than the link syntax being incorrect in some way.

I put this down to be being newly registered, but perhaps it's something else?

Edit - I just tried copying the link by clicking on the #number as suggested but when I pasted the resulting link into a new post and tried to submit it I got the same "You are not approved to post links" message, so I think this is more to do with permissions than link syntax.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 23rd, 2021, 12:33 am

jdoe wrote:What I actually did was to select the page I wanted to post a link to and then simply copy the page address as shown in my (Firefox) browser address bar.

I then pasted that address into my post and clicked on 'submit'.

But the post was not submitted to the forum and instead I got the message "You are not approved to post links" . . . which implied to me that I was not allowed to post links, rather than the link syntax being incorrect in some way.

I put this down to be being newly registered, but perhaps it's something else?

Yep, what you did was perfectly correct but, as you've guessed, newly registered users can't immediately post links -- I think you have to have posted 5 posts before you can, so, if I'm right, then you'll be able to in your next post. :D

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 23rd, 2021, 3:33 pm

jdoe wrote:Hmm. Seems a bit complicated.

It's more complicated to describe than it is to do! All that needs doing is a click on the "#NNNNNN" at the start of the post followed by pasting, compared with a click in the browser address bar and copy-and-pasting.

jdoe wrote:What I actually did was to select the page I wanted to post a link to and then simply copy the page address as shown in my (Firefox) browser address bar.

That will work, but usually a bit less well. For example, if I click in the browser address bar for this thread and copy-and-paste, I get viewtopic.php?f=49&t=29965 or something similar - exactly what I get does depend a bit on how I get to the thread. Most ways of getting to the thread will produce a link that goes to the top of the page containing the post I'm referring to, not to that specific post.

But if I click on the "#421575" near the start of the post of yours I'm replying to, then paste, I get viewtopic.php?p=421475#p421475, and that link goes to the specific post I'm referring to.

Gengulphus

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”