Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

iShares on tax retirn

Practical Issues
wickham
Lemon Slice

iShares on tax retirn

Postby wickham » June 22nd, 2021, 10:46 am

I have always filled in my tax return myself and ishares have always confused me.

Last year the HMRC tax return calculation allocated ishares in ISF and similar equities from IRL to the 32.5% higher rate category but this year they have ended up in the 40% calculation.

This year I first put the ishares in the less than £2000 income box but unsurprisingly that was rejected as the amount exceeded £2000. I then put the amount in the foreign income section box with 0% tax credit as the dividend statement shows no tax. Last year the tax return boxes were slightly different and I may have entered the amount in a different box.

What is the correct higher rate tax? I think it should be 32.5% so why has the automatic calculation used 40%? Has it assumed that the income is interest not dividends or is the tax credit responsible?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: iShares on tax retirn

Postby mc2fool » June 22nd, 2021, 1:43 pm

wickham wrote:I have always filled in my tax return myself and ishares have always confused me.

Last year the HMRC tax return calculation allocated ishares in ISF and similar equities from IRL to the 32.5% higher rate category but this year they have ended up in the 40% calculation.

This year I first put the ishares in the less than £2000 income box but unsurprisingly that was rejected as the amount exceeded £2000. I then put the amount in the foreign income section box with 0% tax credit as the dividend statement shows no tax. Last year the tax return boxes were slightly different and I may have entered the amount in a different box.

What is the correct higher rate tax? I think it should be 32.5% so why has the automatic calculation used 40%? Has it assumed that the income is interest not dividends or is the tax credit responsible?

The dividend tax rates are BRT 7.5%, HRT 32.5%, ART 38.1%. https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends

Your problem sounds like you put the dividends from your iShares holding(s) in the "Interest and other income from overseas savings" section.

You should put it in Dividends from foreign companies section.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Re: iShares on tax retirn

Postby wickham » June 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm

Thanks, luckily I can edit the submission.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”