Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is interest paid by HMRC taxable?

Practical Issues
hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Is interest paid by HMRC taxable?

Postby hiriskpaul » August 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm

I overpaid inheritance tax a couple of years ago to avoid interest on underpayment. I received a refund last tax year with interest. Is this interest taxable? ie do I need to include it in the estate tax return?

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is interest paid by HMRC taxable?

Postby Charlottesquare » August 3rd, 2021, 4:42 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:I overpaid inheritance tax a couple of years ago to avoid interest on underpayment. I received a refund last tax year with interest. Is this interest taxable? ie do I need to include it in the estate tax return?

I suspect not- interest paid by HMRC to individuals is not taxable income and I would expect this to apply to interest paid to the executors of an estate. (To be clear interest paid by HMRC to a Ltd Company is taxable)

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » August 4th, 2021, 11:45 am

Charlottesquare wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:I overpaid inheritance tax a couple of years ago to avoid interest on underpayment. I received a refund last tax year with interest. Is this interest taxable? ie do I need to include it in the estate tax return?

I suspect not- interest paid by HMRC to individuals is not taxable income and I would expect this to apply to interest paid to the executors of an estate. (To be clear interest paid by HMRC to a Ltd Company is taxable)

Thanks, that is where I got to. Fairly clear for individuals and companies, but I have found nothing for estates or trusts. I guess I am going to have to ask HMRC!

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 4th, 2021, 12:01 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:

Thanks, that is where I got to. Fairly clear for individuals and companies, but I have found nothing for estates or trusts. I guess I am going to have to ask HMRC!

I don't believe it is taxable for Executors and have treated it as non taxable in returns. There is nothing on HMRC's website to indicate it is taxable, except where corporation tax applies. The income of an estate becomes the income of the residuary beneficiaries and, assuming they are individuals, repayment supplements would not be taxable. Anyway that is the thinking on which I have based my view that it is not taxable. The amounts in my case have not been material anyway.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”