Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Payments on Account amount paid - not deducted from latest self-assessment amount requested by HMRC?

Practical Issues
Investor

Payments on Account amount paid - not deducted from latest self-assessment amount requested by HMRC?

Postby Investor » January 9th, 2022, 11:32 pm

I have done my online self-assessment for thetax year 2020-2021. The sum HMRC are asking me to pay on the final screen, which shows the amount I have to pay, does not deduct the two Payments on Account sums for 2020-21 I paid in advance, in January and July 2021.

I would have thought that in this day and age HMRC's calculation of the sum due would have deducted Payments on Account amounts paid?

Therefore, do I need to manually calculate the amount I have to pay HMRC for 2020-21 (and the next Payment on Account) after deducting the 2020-21 Payments on Account amounts already paid?

Do I need to notify HMRC somehow (how?) or will their calculators automatically calculate the Payments on Account amounts paid? I don't wish to suffer any issues because they think I have underpaid!

I've searched extensively online, but, strangely, there is only one reference anywhere to the above.

Thank you for your advice.

mike
Lemon Slice

Re: Payments on Account amount paid - not deducted from latest self-assessment amount requested by HMRC?

Postby mike » January 10th, 2022, 12:29 am

Investor wrote:I have done my online self-assessment for thetax year 2020-2021. The sum HMRC are asking me to pay on the final screen, which shows the amount I have to pay, does not deduct the two Payments on Account sums for 2020-21 I paid in advance, in January and July 2021.

I would have thought that in this day and age HMRC's calculation of the sum due would have deducted Payments on Account amounts paid?

Therefore, do I need to manually calculate the amount I have to pay HMRC for 2020-21 (and the next Payment on Account) after deducting the 2020-21 Payments on Account amounts already paid?

It is a quirk of the system that it does not show the Payments on Account when you submit your self-assessment form; at that time it just gives you what you owe for that submission.

However, if you check back in 72 hours or so after you have submitted your SA, any Payments on Account will have been taken into account and the amounts you actually need to pay at the end of January & July will be shown.

Investor

Re: Payments on Account amount paid - not deducted from latest self-assessment amount requested by HMRC?

Postby Investor » January 10th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Thank you Mike! Your guidance is hugely appreciated.

I rang HMRC and they said exactly what you did. They stated I should wait 72 hours and then the figures should show correctly.

It's a pity that one has to wait three days, but it is what it is.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”