Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tax rebate due - not received yet

Practical Issues
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Tax rebate due - not received yet

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 7th, 2022, 11:17 pm

HMRC owe me about £450 overpaid tax for 2020-2021
It hasnt dropped into my account yet, and I can't find the statement on the Gov Gateway site
Any ideas?
TIA
A :twisted: C

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tax rebate due - not received yet

Postby mutantpoodle » July 8th, 2022, 6:36 am

no personal experience...

but try submitting your return again
am assuming it was done online in view reference to the Gateway

so it will think you making a change

click through and then submit again

it will presume that an amended returns is there.......and with luck act in accordance with end calculation

money due might then be paid.....my online returns get refunds within 3-5 days...though they are done in April or May which might beless busy for the system

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 8th, 2022, 11:20 am

sounds a bit 'brute force' !
I was expecting to be able to find a statement of account etc - I'm sure I've seen one in the past

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 8th, 2022, 1:03 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:HMRC owe me about £450 overpaid tax for 2020-2021
It hasnt dropped into my account yet, and I can't find the statement on the Gov Gateway site
Any ideas?
TIA
A :twisted: C

Perhaps you should check that the details of your bank are still there. I vaguely remember having to re-enter my bank numbers, even though in theory they'd been there for years. It may be a simple thing like 'Confirm your bank details'?

Steve

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 8th, 2022, 2:51 pm

Well, they've certainly got my email and if they had tried to pay and lost my bank details surely an email asking me to confirm would have been sent..
OK, perhaps that's too much to hope for ! :D

Mainwaring
Lemon Pip

Postby Mainwaring » July 8th, 2022, 9:02 pm

My understanding is that unbeknown to us all HMRC now assume that overpayments will be held by them to offset your tax liability in future years, specifically the year after next. If you can log back into your HMRC account there is an opportunity to specifically claim the refund. Unbelievably you have to provide your Bank Account details which they have had for years and you have to prove your ID by providing your Passport number and answering questions about the amounts stated on a previous years tax return, not the latest one.
It’s possible to do it online but get fully organised before you log back in. You have to wait 3 days after submitting your Tax Return before registering that you want cash back. This change from prior years when I got a refund automatically is due to HMRC wanting to verify your identity. Odd when we are using their portal and have proved we are who we say we are. Good luck.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 9th, 2022, 10:38 am

Anyone would think they're trying to hang on to the cash for as long as possible...

thebarns
2 Lemon pips

Postby thebarns » July 9th, 2022, 5:15 pm

HMRC are an absolute disgrace…….

They hide behind excuses of Covid, working from home, fraud checks, their own incompetencies.

I do my wife’s tax return.

For a number of years in a row she has had the same private address, same employer, same pension contributions, same bank account - absolutely no red flags whatsoever.

Always received tax repayments within a couple of weeks of online tax return submission in previous years - I am well aware this could have been sorted via an adjusted notice of coding but the pension payments are only made in February/March if family finances permit, and always resulted in higher rate tax repayment being in her bank account by May/June following submission of her tax return.

So same tax return submission process followed this year - however notable that in this year’s tax return, there was no option of putting in your bank account details for a tax repayment - this is the first time that this has happened. Instead, the process forces you to follow questions re proving your ID a few days after tax return submission and at that point, you have to put in your bank account details for the tax repayment. I did the same for my own tax return and received the repayment within a week of the new ID process.

My wife’s return and iD process were both undertaken in late April as was my own tax return.

I received my own small tax repayment in early May.

By middle of June, my wife had not received her repayment so phoned HMRC.

To her surprise, they said that following new fraud procedures as a result of Covid fraud, her repayment had been flagged as an issue.

She was told that the earliest she could receive the sizeable 4 figure repayment was 10 weeks from the date of her telephone call, not 10 weeks from the date of her tax return !!! So no idea what would have happened if she had never made the call.

My wife politely pointed out that she had the same employer, same home address, same bank account and same pension contribution that had generated very similar levels of tax repayments in the past 4-5 years, on a yearly basis, so there was absolutely not one thing unusual about her tax return or repayment request.

At that point, the call handler said she could only follow instructions but would get a manager to call back within 2-3 working days to see what could be done.

No such call came.

So my wife phoned up 3 weeks later.

My wife made the point that no one had called her back as was promised, and said the delay was unacceptable given the circumstances involved.

The call handler just cut her off and hung up !!!!

This is the level of HMRC service and incompetence we have foisted upon us with ridiculous excuses of Covid and Covid loans/furlough fraud used as a completely disingenuous reason for their useless incompetence.

Mirrors the abject quality of MPs and MSPs throughout every part of the U.K.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”