Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Self assessment software recommendation sought

Practical Issues
modellingman
Lemon Slice

Self assessment software recommendation sought

Postby modellingman » April 23rd, 2023, 11:09 am

I have filed self-assessment returns on behalf of myself and my wife for many years and up until 2019/20 was doing this using HMRC's online system.

Prior to Brexit, I became a Spanish resident and fiscal resident. Because of the complexities of dual taxation and my lack of understanding, I paid a firm of UK accountants to file our returns for 2020/21 and 2021/22. Although the costs were relatively modest (totalling around £2,000 for both of us for the two years), I actually do pretty much all the work in that I compile all the numbers and submit these to the accountant who puts them into their submission software.I know I am really paying the accountants for their knowledge but I think that knowledge transfer is now sufficiently complete.

This year,therefore, I am of a mind to revert to my DIY approach. Unfortunately, though, I believe I am one of the cases (like Ministers of Religion) who cannot file through HMRC's online system because, in my case, I live abroad.

I don't really want to revert to paper returns, so I am looking for recommendations about suitable software that will enable electronic submission. My requirements are not extensive, the pages filed for 2021/22 by the accountant were
  • SA100 - main return
  • SA105 - UK property
  • SA109 - Residence, remittance basis,etc
  • SA110 - Tax calculation summary
  • HS304 Claim form - Claim by a non-UK resident for relief from UK tax under the terms of a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA)
This year I will need to add whichever SA form deals with capital gains.

Any recommendations?

modellingman

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Self assessment software recommendation sought

Postby BullDog » April 23rd, 2023, 11:14 am

Take a look at TaxCalc. The software features a bunch of "wizards" that might be helpful to you. It's not a particularly expensive piece of software in the overall scheme of things, it might just be what you need though.

I used it for a number of years when I was tax resident in the UK and other countries too until my tax affairs became so simple, using the HMRC on line submission is good enough for me.

GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Postby GPhelan » April 23rd, 2023, 12:36 pm

You could look at SA2000 https://www.sa2000.co.uk I have used this for years to model and understand my tax affairs.
It requires Microsoft Excel to run.
SA2000 is free to download and use to understand and calculate your tax, but to submit the tax return you have to buy a code to unlock that part of the software.
It supports Capital Gain tax, but I am not familiar with HS304 claims, so you may need to contact the developers on how to handle that.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 23rd, 2023, 3:09 pm

BullDog wrote:Take a look at TaxCalc. The software features a bunch of "wizards" that might be helpful to you. It's not a particularly expensive piece of software in the overall scheme of things, it might just be what you need though.

I used it for a number of years when I was tax resident in the UK and other countries too until my tax affairs became so simple, using the HMRC on line submission is good enough for me.

Agreed. I used Taxcalc for many years professionally and was very happy with it.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 23rd, 2023, 4:32 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
BullDog wrote:Take a look at TaxCalc. The software features a bunch of "wizards" that might be helpful to you. It's not a particularly expensive piece of software in the overall scheme of things, it might just be what you need though.

Agreed. I used Taxcalc for many years professionally and was very happy with it.

Yes I have used Taxcalc for many years and it is excellent. It has both a Forms mode and a simple question and answer mode. Easier to use than SA2000 because it is more interactive. £35 for the version that will do up to 6 returns.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 23rd, 2023, 5:31 pm

Another rec for TaxCalc, and the basic version includes non-residency and SATRs for 6 people.
This year I have paid an additional £46 for the Estates and Trusts add-on in order to work out and file my late wife's estate return online.

Everything would be hunky-dory except that HRMC will not allow my wife's 2022-3 SATR to be filed online - "security" apparently - unless I were an HRMC professionally accredited agent for my wife; a deceased's own Gateway account is locked.
This seems slightly barmy since I am her accredited Personal Representative for filing the Estate return, so why HMRC will not create an additional ("Deceased's SATR Representative" ?) category of Gateway registration is beyond me.
Since HMRC have issued me with an 'estate' UTR for my wife, I intend to try submitting her TaxCalc'd SATR as well using this and see what happens...

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 23rd, 2023, 6:16 pm

stewamax wrote:Another rec for TaxCalc, and the basic version includes non-residency and SATRs for 6 people.
This year I have paid an additional £46 for the Estates and Trusts add-on in order to work out and file my late wife's estate return online.

Everything would be hunky-dory except that HRMC will not allow my wife's 2022-3 SATR to be filed online - "security" apparently - unless I were an HRMC professionally accredited agent for my wife; a deceased's own Gateway account is locked.
This seems slightly barmy since I am her accredited Personal Representative for filing the Estate return, so why HMRC will not create an additional ("Deceased's SATR Representative" ?) category of Gateway registration is beyond me.
Since HMRC have issued me with an 'estate' UTR for my wife, I intend to try submitting her TaxCalc'd SATR as well using this and see what happens...

It is easy enough to just print the return from Taxcalc and post it, but I agree it is irritating.

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » April 23rd, 2023, 7:45 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll have a look at TaxCalc, initially.

modellingman

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”