Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Self-assessment reminder

Practical Issues
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Self-assessment reminder

Postby DrFfybes » October 25th, 2023, 11:11 am

MrsF and I both submitted our returns a couple of months ago. MrsF has just annouced she keeps getting reminders, but I don't.

The only difference I can see is that she owes them about £60, whilst they owe me about £20.

Paul

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Re: Self-assessment reminder

Postby AWOL » October 29th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Lootman wrote:
AWOL wrote:I got one of these even though I had previously been told that I don't need to file one. I checked with them and was told that anyone who got this email is considered to have been asked to file a tax return and if I disagree I should make a request to stop self assessment again otherwise I will be fined. As my taxable income is well below the personal allowance this is just annoying but I have requested to be exempted again. I am a bit worried that they may take more than 100 days to look at it.

I was not aware that having a net income below the personal allowance necessarily implies that you do not have to submit a tax return. Does it not instead depend on how that income is derived, its source and type, and what exemptions, allowances and deductions you are claiming?

There was at least one tax year where I owed no tax, but it was never suggested that I therefore did not need to submit a return.

As an aside I am impressed that anyone can live off less than the annual personal allowance.

I have been living off my ISA and premium bonds. I don't claim have any taxes or reliefs to claim. I called them before and they noted my income and exempted me but it seems to have lapsed and they also seem to have phased out answering the phone in favour of endless hold messages. I guess I'll just have to fill in a tax return which should be simple.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”