Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Unexpected SA payment due

Practical Issues
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Unexpected SA payment due

Postby Fluke » November 30th, 2023, 10:38 am

I received an email a day or two ago from HMRC saying that I had a message, I've just logged in and it's a statement showing that there is a "balancing payment due for for year 22/23" - payable by 31st January 2024.

The amount is very close to, though not exactly, the amount that was deducted from my SIPP withdrawal in April-22 and refunded a few weeks later via the P55 form, this refund is clearly shown on the statement and below it the balance is zero. My tax return for 22-23 shows that there is no tax to pay.

I clicked on my account and it shows that that amount is outstanding. I dread the thought of having to contact HMRC to try to find out what's going on, any advice?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unexpected SA payment due

Postby genou » November 30th, 2023, 10:56 am

Fluke wrote:I received an email a day or two ago from HMRC saying that I had a message, I've just logged in and it's a statement showing that there is a "balancing payment due for for year 22/23" - payable by 31st January 2024.

The amount is very close to, though not exactly, the amount that was deducted from my SIPP withdrawal in April-22 and refunded a few weeks later via the P55 form, this refund is clearly shown on the statement and below it the balance is zero. My tax return for 22-23 shows that there is no tax to pay.

I clicked on my account and it shows that that amount is outstanding. I dread the thought of having to contact HMRC to try to find out what's going on, any advice?

How did you submit your return? If through the HMRC system, then there will be an SA302 available within your SA account. ( Self Assessment / More details about.... / Get SA302 )

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » November 30th, 2023, 11:39 am

genou wrote:
How did you submit your return? If through the HMRC system, then there will be an SA302 available within your SA account. ( Self Assessment / More details about.... / Get SA302 )

Ah! Thanks genou, I've just done that and can see what the problem might be. On my tax return for that year, page TR 6 headed 'Tax refunded or set off' I entered the amount of tax that I had been refunded via the P55. The SA302 shows the correct calculations all the way down resulting in a small overpayment, and then right at the very bottom it says

minus tax already refunded in the year.... £xxxx

The slight overpayment is deducted from this figure resulting in the amount now due.

Do I need to go in and remove that figure from my return then? It was a tax refund so I thought I should mention it, but perhaps not?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 30th, 2023, 1:17 pm

Fluke wrote:
genou wrote:

Ah! Thanks genou, I've just done that and can see what the problem might be. On my tax return for that year, page TR 6 headed 'Tax refunded or set off' I entered the amount of tax that I had been refunded via the P55. The SA302 shows the correct calculations all the way down resulting in a small overpayment, and then right at the very bottom it says

minus tax already refunded in the year.... £xxxx

The slight overpayment is deducted from this figure resulting in the amount now due.

Do I need to go in and remove that figure from my return then? It was a tax refund so I thought I should mention it, but perhaps not?

It doesn't feel right to do that. Where in your SA302 does the original tax paid pre-P55 appear? The payment and refund should both be there in order for them to net off to nothing.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » November 30th, 2023, 2:02 pm

genou wrote:
It doesn't feel right to do that. Where in your SA302 does the original tax paid pre-P55 appear? The payment and refund should both be there in order for them to net off to nothing.

You've helped me work out what I've done genou. I entered the gross amount earned in box 11 under the section headed 'UK Pensions, annuities and other state benefits received' - but neglected to fill in box 12 "Tax taken off box 11".

Okay, so can I go in and amend my return by filling in that box? I've probably done the same thing on my 23/24 return.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 30th, 2023, 2:47 pm

Fluke wrote:Okay, so can I go in and amend my return by filling in that box? I've probably done the same thing on my 23/24 return.

That's what I'd do.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » November 30th, 2023, 4:02 pm

genou wrote:
Fluke wrote:Okay, so can I go in and amend my return by filling in that box? I've probably done the same thing on my 23/24 return.

That's what I'd do.

Not sure I'd have worked that out without your prompts, thanks :)

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”