Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

CGT on sale of has owned houses

Practical Issues
Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

CGT on sale of has owned houses

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 31st, 2024, 5:11 pm

Asking this on behalf of a friend who is not on TLF.

Friends father bought 2 houses for his 2 sons to live in and arranged that each son owned half of each house. Looks a terrible decision CGT-wise now but the houses were bought back in the 80's before CGT relief on PPR had been introduced.

If the sons sell then assumption is they will each face CGT on the half of the house they own but that is occupied by the other son. Is this correct or is there any way to get around it. Obviously if the father had bought the sons a house each such that they were sole owners of each house then no CGT would be payable. But sadly that wasn't the case.

BoE

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: CGT on sale of has owned houses

Postby monabri » January 31st, 2024, 5:18 pm

Did each son live in their respective houses ( ie they didn't reside in house 1 and let house 2?). That would have further CGT implications!

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 31st, 2024, 5:40 pm

PPR started with CGT in 1965, so it was an odd decision when made.

They'll each have CGT liability on their half of the other brother's residence.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2024, 6:40 pm

genou wrote:They'll each have CGT liability on their half of the other brother's residence.

Could the sons not sell the halves of the houses that they own but do not live in to the other, say for an amount equal to half the original cost basis so that there is no profit?

I am guessing not. :D

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 31st, 2024, 6:44 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:If the sons sell then assumption is they will each face CGT on the half of the house they own but that is occupied by the other son. Is this correct or is there any way to get around it.

Dying? :)

Short of that, I don't know of a way of getting round it but assuming they live in the two houses, one in each, and they aren't in a hurry, they could incrementally reduce their CGT liability by each brother selling their half of the house they live in to the other (no GCT on that as it was their PPR), and then swapping, each moving into the house that they now fully own.

When each finally sells there will be no CGT on the half they bought from the other brother and the CGT liability on the other half they always owned will be reduced pro rata by the period they lived in it over the period of ownership, so the longer they stay put the lower their proportion liable to CGT.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 31st, 2024, 6:51 pm

Presumably their half share in the other house is not worth much as it has a sitting tenant :D

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2024, 7:01 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Presumably their half share in the other house is not worth much as it has a sitting tenant :D

I believe that issue comes up when valuing the marital home for divorce purposes. And that the rule of thumb is to reduce the valuation by 10%.

Of course in practice nobody would buy half a house with a stranger already in there.

And I once bought a building with a sitting tenant in there, with a pre-Thatcher lease so I could not kick him out. Nobody would give me a mortgage on it so I had to pay cash.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 31st, 2024, 7:17 pm

AIUI the deeds don’t actually list the percentage owned by each individual. Only that they are TiC.

So…
Could they sell a few thousand pounds worth of house to each other each year, in order to use up their (ever diminishing) CGT allowance each year. Since no changes to deeds, no legal fees involved. As long as the transfer is well documented each year, they would eventually be 100% owners.

Obviously this isn’t a quick fix, but at the very least would reduce CGT going forward from now.

Gryff

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 31st, 2024, 7:24 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Presumably their half share in the other house is not worth much as it has a sitting tenant :D

That is at least a small mitigation. They could swap the half-in-the-other-house with each other, and it would be reasonable to lower the value because of the split ownership. But I suspect the fly in the ointment is that ( assuming there is no great disparity in the underlying value of the two houses* ) it would place very little cash in the brothers' hands to pay even the reduced resultant CGT. If there is a large disparity, one brother is going to have additionally to find the cash to buy the other out.

* I imagine this was the original reason for the dual ownership.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2024, 7:26 pm

gryffron wrote:AIUI the deeds don’t actually list the percentage owned by each individual. Only that they are TiC.

So…
Could they sell a few thousand pounds worth of house to each other each year, in order to use up their (ever diminishing) CGT allowance each year. Since no changes to deeds, no legal fees involved. As long as the transfer is well documented each year, they would eventually be 100% owners.

Obviously this isn’t a quick fix, but at the very least would reduce CGT going forward from now.

Gryff

The OP did not say if the ownership is TIC or joint tenancy.

If the latter then ownership has to be 50/50. If TIC then I thought that the deeds or LR entry did specify the ownership percentages, although that can also be recorded in a side agreement like a declaration of trust.

A few of us have now come up with the idea of cross-selling these shares, in part or in whole, which makes me think it could help.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 31st, 2024, 7:59 pm

Lootman wrote:
gryffron wrote:AIUI the deeds don’t actually list the percentage owned by each individual. Only that they are TiC.

So…

Gryff

The OP did not say if the ownership is TIC or joint tenancy.

If the latter then ownership has to be 50/50. If TIC then I thought that the deeds or LR entry did specify the ownership percentages, although that can also be recorded in a side agreement like a declaration of trust.

A few of us have now come up with the idea of cross-selling these shares, in part or in whole, which makes me think it could help.

Yes he did. TIC.

Dod

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 31st, 2024, 8:12 pm

genou wrote:They could swap the half-in-the-other-house with each other, and it would be reasonable to lower the value because of the split ownership.

I'm pretty sure that would be counted as a disposal and as the half in the other house wouldn't be their PPR it would attract immediate CGT. If they're going to swap halves it has to be their PPR halves to not have immediate CGT, and then swap where they live so that their fully owned houses become their PPRs.

... assuming there is no great disparity in the underlying value of the two houses* ... * I imagine this was the original reason for the dual ownership.

Yes, that would make sense.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 31st, 2024, 8:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:
genou wrote:They could swap the half-in-the-other-house with each other, and it would be reasonable to lower the value because of the split ownership.

I'm pretty sure that would be counted as a disposal and as the half in the other house wouldn't be their PPR it would attract immediate CGT. If they're going to swap halves it has to be their PPR halves to not have immediate CGT, and then swap where they live so that their fully owned houses become their PPRs.

I like your reasoning. They could probably go the whole hog and swap the houses ( as 100% PPR at that stage ) after the exchange of PPR-elements to stay exactly where they are. They'd get charged on each of the swaps for SDLT, so there is still a need to find cash, but that should turn out less than CGT at 18/28% .

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 31st, 2024, 9:05 pm

genou wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be counted as a disposal and as the half in the other house wouldn't be their PPR it would attract immediate CGT. If they're going to swap halves it has to be their PPR halves to not have immediate CGT, and then swap where they live so that their fully owned houses become their PPRs.

I like your reasoning. They could probably go the whole hog and swap the houses ( as 100% PPR at that stage ) after the exchange of PPR-elements to stay exactly where they are. They'd get charged on each of the swaps for SDLT, so there is still a need to find cash, but that should turn out less than CGT at 18/28% .

Dunno if you missed my initial post in this thread or I just wasn't clear it in (probably the latter), but no, they're not 100% PPR for CGT at that stage. The swapped half will be fully PPR but the other half, the half that the now occupier owned before they moved into it, will only be PPR going forward but not retrospectively.

So if they sell up (inc. swap again) immediately then the full CGT will be liable on that half. However, for each year they live in it the proportion of that half liable to CGT reduces pro rata by the time it was PPR vs total ownership period. So if, e.g., they inherited the houses 12 years ago and do the swap as described and live in them for another 7 years and then sell, then the CGT on that half will be on only 12/19ths of the gain; 19 years ownership, 12 years not PPR.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2024, 9:09 pm

genou wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be counted as a disposal and as the half in the other house wouldn't be their PPR it would attract immediate CGT. If they're going to swap halves it has to be their PPR halves to not have immediate CGT, and then swap where they live so that their fully owned houses become their PPRs.

But again doesn't that CGT liability assume that the half-shares are sold at market value? And so there is a gain to tax?

If instead the sales are priced at the original cost basis then there is no gain to tax.

Dod101 wrote:
Lootman wrote:The OP did not say if the ownership is TIC or joint tenancy.

Yes he did. TIC.

OK, sorry I completely missed that.

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Postby RockRabbit » January 31st, 2024, 9:37 pm

Lootman wrote:
genou wrote:I like your reasoning. They could probably go the whole hog and swap the houses ( as 100% PPR at that stage ) after the exchange of PPR-elements to stay exactly where they are. They'd get charged on each of the swaps for SDLT, so there is still a need to find cash, but that should turn out less than CGT at 18/28% .

But again doesn't that CGT liability assume that the half-shares are sold at market value? And so there is a gain to tax?

If instead the sales are priced at the original cost basis then there is no gain to tax.

They have to be valued at market value for CGT purposes as the sale will be to a 'connected person'.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 31st, 2024, 10:49 pm

mc2fool wrote:Dunno if you missed my initial post in this thread or I just wasn't clear it in (probably the latter), but no, they're not 100% PPR for CGT at that stage. The swapped half will be fully PPR but the other half, the half that the now occupier owned before they moved into it, will only be PPR going forward but not retrospectively.

So if they sell up (inc. swap again) immediately then the full CGT will be liable on that half. However, for each year they live in it the proportion of that half liable to CGT reduces pro rata by the time it was PPR vs total ownership period. So if, e.g., they inherited the houses 12 years ago and do the swap as described and live in them for another 7 years and then sell, then the CGT on that half will be on only 12/19ths of the gain; 19 years ownership, 12 years not PPR.

I get you, I hadn't seen the effluxion of time bit of the proposal. But your proposal does require them to actually swap living spaces. They would still have to pay SDLT on the first swap. Prima facie on the swapped value, but there's obviously a marriage value ( think merging the freehold / leasehold ) and I don't know how that would work. I suspect the upheaval of moving may require the tax saved to be enough to make the game worth the candle.

It's an interesting parlour game. It must be an absolute bugger for the real people involved.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 31st, 2024, 11:04 pm

Have read this thread quickly so may be making a mistake somewhere but isn’t the answer obvious? CGT-wise at least, if not for SDLT. I assume each house is worth the same.

Each brother sells the half of the house he lives in to the other. That sale benefits from PPR and attracts no tax. Then each brother ends up owning the other brother’s house. Then they immediately sell to each other. That will incur SDLT but no CGT.

That may be what has already been suggested, but I think I have stated it more simply.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 31st, 2024, 11:17 pm

genou wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Dunno if you missed my initial post in this thread or I just wasn't clear it in (probably the latter), but no, they're not 100% PPR for CGT at that stage. The swapped half will be fully PPR but the other half, the half that the now occupier owned before they moved into it, will only be PPR going forward but not retrospectively.

I get you, I hadn't seen the effluxion of time bit of the proposal. But your proposal does require them to actually swap living spaces. They would still have to pay SDLT on the first swap. Prima facie on the swapped value, but there's obviously a marriage value ( think merging the freehold / leasehold ) and I don't know how that would work. I suspect the upheaval of moving may require the tax saved to be enough to make the game worth the candle.

It's an interesting parlour game. It must be an absolute bugger for the real people involved.

Yes, they'd have to swap living spaces, but it's the only mechanism I can see offhand to reduce their potential CGT liability, and then of course only notably so if they continue to live in the properties for a decent amount of time thereafter. And, yes, they'd have to pay stamp duty, which could be anything from nothing to lots, and other costs, so it is a numbers game.

Marriage value only applies to leaseholds with less than 80 years to run, and I believe is being abolished by the Leasehold Reform Act, although I expect there'll be some ifs, buts and conditions around that.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 31st, 2024, 11:23 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Have read this thread quickly so may be making a mistake somewhere but isn’t the answer obvious? CGT-wise at least, if not for SDLT. I assume each house is worth the same.

Each brother sells the half of the house he lives in to the other. That sale benefits from PPR and attracts no tax. Then each brother ends up owning the other brother’s house. Then they immediately sell to each other. That will incur SDLT but no CGT.

That may be what has already been suggested, but I think I have stated it more simply.

Yes you're making a mistake. ;) See viewtopic.php?p=644037#p644037.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”