Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Bond (and equity) bonfire

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bond (and equity) bonfire

Postby hiriskpaul » October 26th, 2022, 11:34 am

88V8 wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:
88V8 wrote:Regards equities, I need to have a heave-ho for CGT purposes

To use up your CGT allowance could you not swap with something In an ISA? eg if you have £40k of Shell/whatever you want to sell to bank the tax free gain and £40k of BP in an ISA, just sell the BP and buy Shell, sell the Shell and buy BP.

Good idea and I have done that in the past, but my ISA now holds mainly things that pay interest, which I try to minimise in my trading a/c, or things with a hefty spread.

I've also tried swapping with OH, but she has an unfortunate habit of trying to improve the shining hour by waiting until the price falls, which on the whole it doesn't.

Perhaps if I had another a/c under an alias...

V8

Wait for cash to accumulate in the ISA, then sell something and buy it back in the ISA? You could park ISA cash in some really short dated thing such as ERNS while you wait.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 26th, 2022, 6:52 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:Wait for cash to accumulate in the ISA, then sell something and buy it back in the ISA? You could park ISA cash in some really short dated thing such as ERNS while you wait.

Well that's a new one.
https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/258120/ishares-ultrashort-bond-ucits-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true
Given its modest TR, what is its application? Is it a case of slightly better than cash?
Very tight spread.....

V8

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » October 26th, 2022, 7:42 pm

88V8 wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:Wait for cash to accumulate in the ISA, then sell something and buy it back in the ISA? You could park ISA cash in some really short dated thing such as ERNS while you wait.

Well that's a new one.
https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/258120/ishares-ultrashort-bond-ucits-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true
Given its modest TR, what is its application? Is it a case of slightly better than cash?
Very tight spread.....

V8

Similar to cash, but it is difficult to get reasonable returns on cash inside ISAs, even if you transfer out.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”