Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

I don't get it with Index Linkers

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Re: I don't get it with Index Linkers

Postby ChrisNix » July 28th, 2022, 4:47 pm

JohnW wrote:The duration of your bond fund is 18 years; that’s an important characteristic for bond investing because it’s the weighted (by £) average of all the future periods that a bond pays out until redemption at maturity. So if most of the money comes to you at maturity as principal, because interest rates are very low and thus coupon payments are very small, then the duration will be similar (but shorter) than the ‘time to maturity’. Keep 18 years in mind for your circumstances (which you haven’t told us).
A rough and ready use of duration is to inform you how much your bond(s)/fund will drop in price with an interest rate rise. x% rise in interest rates will drop the bond’s value by x% times the duration in years. Your fund should fall 18% for each 1% rise in interest rates - very, very roughly, and not for long.
We’ll come back to that, but before you slit your throat at the prospects of further rate rises, just reflect on how good your portfolio is at present. A 60/40 equity/bond mix, yours, is widely considered very suitable for many investors; we don’t know enough about you to pontificate, but it’s not a bad setup for anyone with a good few years to go. Secondly, what sort of bonds should be in the 40%? There are good reasons to think yours are perfect (however unfortunate the timing of purchase was). High quality bonds have poor returns compared to riskier assets; you just have to accept it if you’re going to hold bonds (and most investors probably should). The risks of bonds are: #1 credit risk (you’ve got that covered with UK treasury as the issuer); #2 interest rate risk (the longer the duration, the more the risk as per the formula above, but also the better the yield usually). The only protection against this is short duration, lower paying bonds); and #3 unexpected inflation (you’ve got that covered as well as anyone can with linkers in the currency you spend, although you’ve added the risk that would come with unexpected deflation).
As long as your investing horizon is long enough to suit 18 year duration bonds, you’ve got a bond holding as good as anyone’s. Some would argue that having only linkers does not give you the protection against deflation that nominal bonds do, but inflation is much more common than deflation, and usually more damaging to your spending capacity. You won’t find many people holding only linkers as their bonds, but the logic of their argument is often not there and the size of the effect they’re worried about likely small. Hopefully we’ll hear some discussion on this.
So, I contend, the only ‘worry’ you have is does the 18 years match your investing horizon? At age 60 it probably still does if you’re planning to live off an ‘at risk’ portfolio of stocks and bonds; beyond 60 years, maybe an 18 year duration bond fund is too long, so what’s a solution?
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a bond holding should duration match the spending horizon of the bond holder. If your spending needs are a long way off, you should have long bonds since they pay better; but since it exposes you to interest rate risk, no longer than your spending needs. You can roughly calculate your spending ‘duration’ as the average of those future spending years eg if you only need to spend for the next 5 years, the duration is (1+2+3..5)/5=3years. If your spending starts in 6 years and runs for 10 years, the duration is (1+2+3…10)/10 add 6=11.5 years.
Since a bond fund’s duration usually stays unchanged, but your spending duration naturally keeps getting shorter, in order to ‘duration match’ your bonds with your spending you might need/want another (bond) fund (could be cash) which when ‘mixed’ with your long (18 year) bond fund in their relative proportions gives a combined duration that matches your spending horizon. Here you can read about it: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318412
Finally, we come back to your 18% drop for every 1% rise in interest rates. How dramatic that fall is, whether it’s actually 12% not 18%, how quickly or slowly the fund recovers its value as the new higher paying bonds come on line varies with the prevailing economic circumstances. Have a look at this bond fund rising inexorably through rising and falling interest rate periods, where the ’18%’ formula just doesn’t seem apparent. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 2#p5846789
And look at this theoretical analysis showing how your bond fund can recover, hopefully giving you some comfort. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360575
You might have stumbled on a genius portfolio, but make the next move well informed.
is there a calculation that can be made to roughly determine the value of an ETF IL bond within that year or two?

I don’t think you can do that, as it relies on predictions, and here’s what we know about those: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/yes-1 ... 2014-10-21

An alternative viewpoint is that bonds should be held to duration match spending over a shorter time frame after which there is very high likelihood that equities will outperform significantly. The stats suggest that is 10 - 15 years.

That delivers certainty of cash irrespective of the shorter term volatility of equities. Whilst optimising outperformance probability.

The equity:bond split becomes an output, but will be more like 80:20 for a younger person, but tending towards 10:90 once one hits 70.

Chris

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » August 2nd, 2022, 12:38 pm

I noticed this morning that some US index linked bonds are now back to (slightly) negative yields, probably coinciding with the Fed recently appearing to take a less aggressive stance towards interest rates and inflation.

I also noticed the US yield curve is inverted from six months out to 30 years, suggesting the US is within a few months of their interest rate peak.
The market seems to be pricing in only one more 50 - 75bp rate rise from the Fed, taking US rates up to about 3% at their probable peak in September, despite inflation being triple that figure.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » September 28th, 2022, 12:21 am

I noticed INXG fell by 10% today, which reminded me of this excellent, educational thread.

I'm still trying to get my head around the use case for Index Linkers:
-good if inflation expected to rise
-bad if interest rates expected to rise

But isn't the latter used as a tool to combat the former? And with INXG specifically, if the coupon payments are so small that there's nothing left to pay out after the manager's fees have been deducted, is there any scenario in which INXG would be a good instrument to own?

Looking at the chart, INXG has fallen so much during 2022 I am wondering if there is any value on offer? At current prices, is it like buying a basket of £100 notes for less than face value? Or is the price falling towards face value?

And one final question, is the drop today simply just a reflection that interest rates might still rise further, or is the market calling into question the credit worthiness of the issuer, i.e., the UK government?

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » September 28th, 2022, 1:47 am

‘But isn't the latter used as a tool to combat the former?

Yes, I think so.
‘if the coupon payments are so small that there's nothing left to pay out after the manager's fees have been deducted’

Gilts are yielding more than the management fee just now.
‘is there any scenario in which INXG would be a good instrument to own?’

Bonds are always a good long term choice for personal investing if stocks alone are not suitable for you, which is most people, so there’s that common scenario especially if you consider inflation linked bonds to be a good choice since they are the only certain protection against unexpected inflation if you consider stocks, bonds, cash, property, gold, you name it. The INXG duration is a bit long for some investors, but otherwise it seems ok and thus there’d be a scenario for it.
‘INXG has fallen so much during 2022 I am wondering if there is any value on offer?

The current yield to maturity suggests it has some value, and since it’s backed by a government guarantee to repay principal that would be a kind of ‘value’ that stocks certainly don’t have.
At current prices, is it like buying a basket of £100 notes for less than face value? Or is the price falling towards face value?’

No, to the first, because bonds mature and repay you £100 at maturity (or an inflation adjusted £100, even better), but INXG is a bond fund and funds never mature the way individual bonds do. Always keep in mind that difference between bonds and bond funds.
is the drop today simply just a reflection that interest rates might still rise further, or is the market calling into question the credit worthiness of the issuer, i.e., the UK government?

Both probably, and for many other reasons all of which we don’t know the size of the contribution they make to current prices. I’d say the ‘don’t know’ applies to the commentators, journalists, bank economists et el who pontificate. So it seems to me to be a pointless distraction; just focus on an appropriate asset allocation. No, worse than pointless because tactical asset allocation (a sort of timing the market) is very hard to benefit from compared with setting up and sitting tight. Good luck.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 28th, 2022, 6:37 am

Hypster wrote:I noticed INXG fell by 10% today, which reminded me of this excellent, educational thread.

This is too simplistic. As with all investments it depends upon the price (for both your elements above) and the surrounding economic conditions.

But isn't the latter used as a tool to combat the former? And with INXG specifically, if the coupon payments are so small that there's nothing left to pay out after the manager's fees have been deducted, is there any scenario in which INXG would be a good instrument to own?

Take a look at his chart and think if there was ever a scenrio in which INXG was a good instrument to own:

Looking at the chart, INXG has fallen so much during 2022 I am wondering if there is any value on offer? At current prices, is it like buying a basket of £100 notes for less than face value? Or is the price falling towards face value?

And one final question, is the drop today simply just a reflection that interest rates might still rise further, or is the market calling into question the credit worthiness of the issuer, i.e., the UK government?

JohnW's comments refer, but I'd add that you need to take on board that maybe gilt yields were just a little bit too low recently. Whether gilts now represent good value is difficult to guess, but I can say with certainty that they are better value than they were 12 months ago!

More evidence if any is needed that the EMH is nonsense.

GS

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 28th, 2022, 8:27 am

Hypster wrote:I noticed INXG fell by 10% today, which reminded me of this excellent, educational thread.

The underlying stock is discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=36074

Buying index linked gilts makes sense now if you want the value of your investment upgraded to match the cost of living on a given date. INXG is an odd investment. The duration is long in comparison with most people's time spans. Why would you want to buy it?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 28th, 2022, 8:52 am

Perhaps I should clarify that. If interest rates increase and stay up, a bond fund will be fully invested at the new interest rate after about one duration. You need your investment time span to be many durations for interest rate fluctuations to average out. Many times 18 years in this case. There is likely to be significant averaging for a youngster, but certainly not for a retiree.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 28th, 2022, 9:06 am

JohnW wrote: Bonds are always a good long term choice for personal investing if stocks alone are not suitable for you, which is most people, so there’s that common scenario especially if you consider inflation linked bonds to be a good choice since they are the only certain protection against unexpected inflation if you consider stocks, bonds, cash, property, gold, you name it.

No, Bonds aren't always a good long term choice. They might be, but not always.

Inflation linked bonds don't offer certain protection against unexpected, or indeed expected, inflation. look at their history and if that doesn't convince you find a dictionary and consider what linked means. Even when held to maturity, and assuming repayment from a long term certain issuer, and your return is dependent on the price you paid. Only in some circumstances will your cost of living, and the real value of your investment be protected.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 28th, 2022, 9:31 am

GeoffF100 wrote:Perhaps I should clarify that. If interest rates increase and stay up, a bond fund will be fully invested at the new interest rate after about one duration. You need your investment time span to be many durations for interest rate fluctuations to average out. Many times 18 years in this case. There is likely to be significant averaging for a youngster, but certainly not for a retiree.

I'm afraid the above is unmitigated nonsense.

The effective duration of INXG is sixteen years. What this means in theory is that 16 years is the optimal holding period to earn the current yield. The value of the fund may go up and it may go down but after 16 years the ups and downs and changes in yields will have balanced out to give you very close to what was promised. If you have a particular liability to meet this information is very important. If you have £1000 to invest but need £1050 in 12 months time, then it's sensible to invest in something with a one-year duration at 5% yield (like 1-year gilts at the moment) and makes little sense to invest in shares which might grow 10%pa but with a duration of 20 years. In the latter case the yield might easily rise by 1.5% (i.e. price may fall 30%) in the first year, leaving you with £700-odd and no time to make up the shortfall.

If you don't have a specific liability then duration is still a nice rule of thumb for how to invest: when you're young take on a lot of duration and more risk; when you're old reduce the duration of your assets. There is no sense in which you need to hold for "many times 18 years".

Ultimately the error in the quoted text is thinking bond returns have something to do with interest rates and replacing your bonds with a new interest rate. This is a severe misunderstanding. The yield of a bond depends on BOTH the interest rate (coupon) AND the market price of the bond. The price adjusts instantaneously so that when yields have risen the bond fund immediately, by definition almost, offers the new yield to investors.

Happy to clarify if any of the above is not clear.

GS

eventide
2 Lemon pips

Postby eventide » September 28th, 2022, 10:13 am

GoSeigen wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:Perhaps I should clarify that. If interest rates increase and stay up, a bond fund will be fully invested at the new interest rate after about one duration. You need your investment time span to be many durations for interest rate fluctuations to average out. Many times 18 years in this case. There is likely to be significant averaging for a youngster, but certainly not for a retiree.

The effective duration of INXG is sixteen years. What this means in theory is that 16 years is the optimal holding period to earn the current yield. The value of the fund may go up and it may go down but after 16 years the ups and downs and changes in yields will have balanced out to give you very close to what was promised. If you have a particular liability to meet this information is very important. If you have £1000 to invest but need £1050 in 12 months time, then it's sensible to invest in something with a one-year duration at 5% yield (like 1-year gilts at the moment) and makes little sense to invest in shares which might grow 10%pa but with a duration of 20 years. In the latter case the yield might easily rise by 1.5% (i.e. price may fall 30%) in the first year, leaving you with £700-odd and no time to make up the shortfall.

If you don't have a specific liability then duration is still a nice rule of thumb for how to invest: when you're young take on a lot of duration and more risk; when you're old reduce the duration of your assets. There is no sense in which you need to hold for "many times 18 years".

Ultimately the error in the quoted text is thinking bond returns have something to do with interest rates and replacing your bonds with a new interest rate. This is a severe misunderstanding. The yield of a bond depends on BOTH the interest rate (coupon) AND the market price of the bond. The price adjusts instantaneously so that when yields have risen the bond fund immediately, by definition almost, offers the new yield to investors.

Happy to clarify if any of the above is not clear.

GS

I'm afraid the above is also unmitigated nonsense. They will maintain their duration, not let it run off. You are just punting 16-18 year real rate duration. Now about RPI+185 real yield, vs -200 or so at peak.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 28th, 2022, 10:24 am

GoSeigen wrote:

If you want to cover a specific liability in the future, buy a single gilt.

I wrote: "The duration is long in comparison with most people's time spans," which seems to concur with what you wrote. I added: "You need your investment time span to be many durations for interest rate fluctuations to average out."

Consider the simple case of a step change in bond interest rates and a perpetually flat yield curve. Maturing bonds get invested at the new interest rate. Eventually, all the bonds are invested at the new interest rate. If the interest rate has a step rise immediately after you buy, you lose out on the new higher return. If it has a step fall you gain.

If you hold for a very long time, your fortunes are likely to average out. Index linkers have gone from big positive after inflation returns fifty years ago, to big negative after inflation returns, and have now gone roughly back to zero. That is big fluctuation. You would have got a good return if you had invested at the right time, and a poor return if you had invested at the wrong time. Would you want your after inflation return to average out? Maybe not.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » September 28th, 2022, 10:46 am

Inflation linked bonds don't offer certain protection against unexpected, or indeed expected, inflation.

I think we need to distinguish between a 'good choice' when you make it, and a 'good choice' when it turns out what that choice's results were.
With that in mind, and considering the former as I was (perhaps unclearly for some readers!), I still think that bonds are a good choice if it's not to be 'only equities'. Happy to hear arguments for gold, real estate, pork belly futures and cash; and even if they are good choices they don't detract from bonds which have unique characteristics, and you either own the business or you lend to it if you want a slice of the action.
True, bonds haven't always had desirable returns: for 7 years index linked bond funds had zero real returns after 2013, and short term US bonds have had negative real returns for the last 13 years (see portfoliovisualizer). But that's knowledge in hindsight; choices are made before the future arrives.
We're now treading over some well trodden ground, but in that spirit I'll just quote https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statist ... nked-gilts
'Index-linked gilts differ from conventional gilts in that coupon and principal payments are adjusted in line with movements in inflation.' That's protection as good as it gets.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » September 28th, 2022, 10:54 am

The effective duration of INXG is sixteen years. What this means in theory is that 16 years is the optimal holding period to earn the current yield. The value of the fund may go up and it may go down but after 16 years the ups and downs and changes in yields will have balanced out to give you very close to what was promised. If you have a particular liability to meet this information is very important.

This is why I don't think that conclusion is worth banking on:
I need £x is 16 years for a particular liability, and a linkers fund is yielding 1%, as it has been with interest rates barely changing, for the last 10 years. I buy it and interest rates continue to barely change for the next 15 years and I'm perfectly on track to get my £x since I factored in the coupon payments of 1%/year. Now, 10 months from withdrawal and interest rates rise 2% during the year. My fund value falls 32% and in the remaining months has time to recover only 1-2%. I'm 30% short of my liability.
Don't confuse bonds with a maturity date and ever shortening duration to match your investing horizon, with bond funds with unchanging duration.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 28th, 2022, 12:24 pm

JohnW wrote:

Inflation linked bonds don't offer certain protection against unexpected, or indeed expected, inflation.

I think we need to distinguish between a 'good choice' when you make it, and a 'good choice' when it turns out what that choice's results were.
With that in mind, and considering the former as I was (perhaps unclearly for some readers!), I still think that bonds are a good choice if it's not to be 'only equities'. Happy to hear arguments for gold, real estate, pork belly futures and cash; and even if they are good choices they don't detract from bonds which have unique characteristics, and you either own the business or you lend to it if you want a slice of the action.
True, bonds haven't always had desirable returns: for 7 years index linked bond funds had zero real returns after 2013, and short term US bonds have had negative real returns for the last 13 years (see portfoliovisualizer). But that's knowledge in hindsight; choices are made before the future arrives.
We're now treading over some well trodden ground, but in that spirit I'll just quote https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statist ... nked-gilts
'Index-linked gilts differ from conventional gilts in that coupon and principal payments are adjusted in line with movements in inflation.' That's protection as good as it gets.

The 60/40 portfolio is very popular. There many (including Vanguard) who believe in it. There are also some (including Vanguard in some publications) who believe in a fixed proportion of index linked bonds. The Accumulator on the Monevator site believes in a fixed proportion of a short dated index linked gilt fund. This is off topic for discussion in this thread, but it is certainly reasonable. Many investors believe in having an appropriate risk profile, spreading their risk and hope for rebalancing profits.

Whether index linked bonds protect against inflation is a matter of perspective. When they had real yields of -3%, they still protected against inflation, but a real pound in the future cost more than a real pound in the present. You could say that they protected against inflation after you had taken an initial hit.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 28th, 2022, 12:38 pm

JohnW wrote:
The effective duration of INXG is sixteen years. What this means in theory is that 16 years is the optimal holding period to earn the current yield. The value of the fund may go up and it may go down but after 16 years the ups and downs and changes in yields will have balanced out to give you very close to what was promised. If you have a particular liability to meet this information is very important.

This is why I don't think that conclusion is worth banking on:
I need £x is 16 years for a particular liability, and a linkers fund is yielding 1%, as it has been with interest rates barely changing, for the last 10 years. I buy it and interest rates continue to barely change for the next 15 years and I'm perfectly on track to get my £x since I factored in the coupon payments of 1%/year. Now, 10 months from withdrawal and interest rates rise 2% during the year. My fund value falls 32% and in the remaining months has time to recover only 1-2%. I'm 30% short of my liability.
Don't confuse bonds with a maturity date and ever shortening duration to match your investing horizon, with bond funds with unchanging duration.

What you are saying is true. Nonetheless, the coupon payment is not what you want to predict your returns. What you want is the effective yield to maturity, taking inflation into account (a tall order with a fund like that). Even Vanguard is not helpful here:

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/professional ... nd-gbp-acc

I do not know what to conclude from their effective YTM numbers. Why are they so much worse than the benchmark? Are they inflation adjusted? If not, what inflation rate is assumed? Direct holdings are much simpler.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 28th, 2022, 3:23 pm

JohnW wrote:Don't confuse bonds with a maturity date and ever shortening duration to match your investing horizon, with bond funds with unchanging duration.

Correct. Quote:

"One of the key concepts in duration matching is that you’ll need to make sure your duration is periodically monitored and adjusted to make sure it stays in line with your investment horizon. And obviously this works slightly differently for a bond than for a bond fund.

JohnW is right that this is much easier to achieve with a vanilla bond (whose duration naturally falls with time) than with a bond fund (or perpetual stocks) whose duration is relatively static.

GS"

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 29th, 2022, 6:51 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Whether index linked bonds protect against inflation is a matter of perspective. When they had real yields of -3%, they still protected against inflation, but a real pound in the future cost more than a real pound in the present. You could say that they protected against inflation after you had taken an initial hit.

We clearly have different definitions of protection then (or perspectives). I think it is dangerous for some (and the industry) to propagate the myth that owning linkers protects your purchasing power. They certainly don't. True their return is linked to inflation, unsurprising given that's in the name, but protection is something else.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » September 29th, 2022, 8:25 am

It's a good distinction to make. That's a useful way to make it, and there are pointless, running people around in circles, unedifying ways.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » September 29th, 2022, 10:11 am

GeoffF100 wrote: INXG is an odd investment. The duration is long in comparison with most people's time spans. Why would you want to buy it?

One line of thinking is to hold two bond funds, long and short duration, and to match your investment horizon by varying their proportions as time passes.
Can read about it here: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318412
'Just like an investor can match the stock/bond glide path by rebalancing between two or more funds (e.g. a stock fund and a bond fund), an investor can match the duration glide path by rebalancing between two or more bond funds (e.g. a long-term bond fund and a short-term bond fund) such that the average duration of the bond funds matches the glide path for a particular time horizon.'

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » October 3rd, 2022, 1:36 pm

This might be of interest. It refers to US Tips, the principles are similar with UK Index linked gilts. (There are a few slight differences in how they work)

https://portfoliocharts.com/2022/09/27/all-about-tips-real-returns-and-inflated-expectations/

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”