Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Index-linked Gilt dirty price

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
Blagdon
Lemon Pip

Index-linked Gilt dirty price

Postby Blagdon » May 16th, 2024, 6:56 pm

Can anyone tell where I can find the dirty price of an index-linked Gilt ?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Index-linked Gilt dirty price

Postby GeoffF100 » May 16th, 2024, 7:30 pm

Tradeweb is the official source used by the BoE:

https://reports.tradeweb.com/account/login/

You can set up a free account.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 17th, 2024, 12:27 am

GeoffF100 wrote:Tradeweb is the official source used by the BoE:

https://reports.tradeweb.com/account/login/

You can set up a free account.

It is, and you can. And maybe should. However, it only has closing prices and only after 12 noon on the next business day, and it's a faff 'cos you have to log into it each time.

More convenient is https://www.yieldgimp.com/index-linked-gilt-yields. Net price is the indexed + accrued price.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » May 17th, 2024, 8:17 am

mc2fool wrote:More convenient is https://www.yieldgimp.com/index-linked-gilt-yields. Net price is the indexed + accrued price.

Have you checked the prices against Tradeweb?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 17th, 2024, 9:42 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:More convenient is https://www.yieldgimp.com/index-linked-gilt-yields. Net price is the indexed + accrued price.

Have you checked the prices against Tradeweb?

Yes. In the past at least, and for the ones I've been interested in, and they've always been very very close. Of course, as the Tradeweb prices are always at least 17 hours out of date and the yieldgimp ones "live" (which I think means 15 minutes delayed) that's going to be reflected in them.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » May 17th, 2024, 11:14 am

mc2fool wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:Have you checked the prices against Tradeweb?

Yes. In the past at least, and for the ones I've been interested in, and they've always been very very close. Of course, as the Tradeweb prices are always at least 17 hours out of date and the yieldgimp ones "live" (which I think means 15 minutes delayed) that's going to be reflected in them.

Clearly, you would need to record Yieldgimp's closing price and compare that with the corresponding Tradeweb closing price, when it is posted, to make a comparison. I have not done that comparison. Yieldgimp's prices are often greyed out without a reason being given, or any indication of when those prices were accurate, if indeed they were accurate. I have always been wary of accepting Yieldgimp's numbers.

I am a long term passive investor. I do not need a bang up to date valuation. A valuation based on the last closing price is good enough for me.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 17th, 2024, 11:40 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Yes. In the past at least, and for the ones I've been interested in, and they've always been very very close. Of course, as the Tradeweb prices are always at least 17 hours out of date and the yieldgimp ones "live" (which I think means 15 minutes delayed) that's going to be reflected in them.

Clearly, you would need to record Yieldgimp's closing price and compare that with the corresponding Tradeweb closing price, when it is posted, to make a comparison. I have not done that comparison. Yieldgimp's prices are often greyed out without a reason being given, or any indication of when those prices were accurate, if indeed they were accurate. I have always been wary of accepting Yieldgimp's numbers.

I am a long term passive investor. I do not need a bang up to date valuation. A valuation based on the last closing price is good enough for me.

I believe the greyed out ones mean it couldn't get a latest price for those. If you want to make price comparisons without waiting for closing you can simply click the yieldgimp link through to the LSE. E.g. yieldgimp is currently showing 99.45 for TR26 whereas LSE is showing bid-offer of 98.96 / 99.96, mid way of which is 99.46.

That looks close enough for me. And of course, as a long term passive investor, you won't be fazed by a valuation that's 0.01 out, right? :D

Although the last close for TR26, according to LSE, was 99.38, so 0.08 away from the current mid price. Maybe that doesn't faze either, but other than up to date prices, IMO the real advantage of yieldgimp is convenience -- you don't have to log in. And so, aside from being easier to browse to, that means that your spreadsheets can automatically scrape in the data from it (which mine does), which you can't do from Tradeweb.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”