Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

TA - an article on 'gaps', what the signify etc.

Reading price charts which may give you direction in the market using established TA methodology
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

TA - an article on 'gaps', what the signify etc.

Postby DiamondEcho » March 23rd, 2017, 11:31 am

I like the subtitle [below], I hadn't thought of it in quite that way before.

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-opportuni ... -gap-37399
'Mind the gap
Price gaps occur when the market is closed overnight or over weekends. When the market re-opens, the first trade is considered the sum of all expectation at the time, in which after market news is factored into the opening auction.' [continues]

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: TA - an article on 'gaps', what the signify etc.

Postby Jonetc15 » March 23rd, 2017, 11:48 am

Very interesting and educational link, DE.

More generally, very many thanks for your almost-solo efforts to keep this board active. Hugely appreciated. I suspect that there are others like me who are 'don't knows' at the moment and feel that they can't usefully contribute to a discussion.

ATB

Jon

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 23rd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Kind of you, thanks!
TA seems a huge and evolving field, so I'm continually learning new stuff too, like in the subject^ article. If any other informative articles [or sources thereof] crop up in future I'll try and post them, and hope others will too.
Which reminds me, I haven't checked http://chartstoday.com/ today!...

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 26th, 2017, 7:53 pm

I never reply to your post Diamond geezer, mainly because I don't really understand them. I always read them though and, who knows, perhaps I'll begin to understand, or perhaps you'll begin to add some explanations for those of us who haven't been exposed to TA before?

oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Postby oldcharlie » March 27th, 2017, 1:24 am

Just popped in and read the article on gaps. This use of the term gap in this article is not traditional. A gap is defined as an area on the chart where there is no price action. The general rule is that gaps are usually filled and if only a small area remains unfilled that is bullish or bearish according to whether the gap was originally caused by an up or down movement in price. FTSE rarely leaves a gap unfilled. Weekly gaps are of more significance.

OC

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 27th, 2017, 10:22 am

BrummieDave wrote:I never reply to your post Diamond geezer, mainly because I don't really understand them. I always read them though and, who knows, perhaps I'll begin to understand, or perhaps you'll begin to add some explanations for those of us who haven't been exposed to TA before?

Thanks Dave
Perhaps a useful place to start is on Youtube? Have a look at this for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUoOWveKPAE
The Basics Of Technical Analysis Explained Simply In 8 Minutes
It's a channel so presumably this vid is one in a series of many. Down the right side-bar from there you'll also see other TA vids/channels. I think watching a few of those, each explained in slightly different ways/styles should help you get a grasp of the core concepts; and certainly better than I could hope to explain them :)

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 6th, 2019, 11:51 am

The best charts u see in use, are volume based. Everything from the moving average to pivots to moneyflow index. Volume is key. (Volume applied to all elements)

Quarterly fixed volumes . And so on.

Pretty important. You know where the real money is and has been operating.

Has ....as important as the is..... because then in price movement, your able to gauge the market mass sentiment. SP will make much more sense.

Return to “Technical Analysis”