Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MrFahrenheit,SalvorHardin,Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Personal Assets v Capital Gearing v RICA?

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Re: Personal Assets v Capital Gearing v RICA?

Postby Aminatidi » September 6th, 2019, 3:56 pm

I also noticed they now show a small amount of property in the portfolio.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » July 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm

So as not to hijack another thread....

Any views on pros and cons v Capital Gearing Trust?

I hold both in roughly equal quantities and both are around 40-45% of my portfolio.

This seemed a timely reminder as I've just been watching the CGT annual report presentation.

I tend to have a simplistic outlook which is that PNL and CGT seem places that I could happily park all of my "cautious" investments but I don't know many people who have all their investment risk with one style or manager (company or individual).

I notice PNL have been ramping up equity exposure and again in my simplistic view I trend to think of CGT as a team of people trying to hunt out overlooked investment opportunities whilst I think of PNL as more of a "cautious Fundsmith" with the style of companies it seems to hold.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 4th, 2020, 1:53 pm

I noticed that Ruffer had jumped up the performance tables (from virtually nowhere) as a result of some tactical investing around the start of the Covid 19 disruption. Though that may well be just a one-off spurt. Of the three I have tended to favour PNL, which I believe has, or had, the highest proportion in government stocks and US TIPS of the three. I did note that PNL had added Alphabet to its top ten holdings.

Otherwise, currently, I don't hold any of those three. I feel they tend to spend too long out in the wild, waiting for the occasional heavy storms. (Apart from topping up a few trusts and adding some global growth technology trusts), I have a gold miner (Polymetal), some renewables, and a small amount of dividend cash awaiting further opportunities.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » July 5th, 2020, 10:13 am

richfool wrote:I noticed that Ruffer had jumped up the performance tables (from virtually nowhere) as a result of some tactical investing around the start of the Covid 19 disruption. Though that may well be just a one-off spurt. Of the three I have tended to favour PNL, which I believe has, or had, the highest proportion in government stocks and US TIPS of the three. I did note that PNL had added Alphabet to its top ten holdings.

Otherwise, currently, I don't hold any of those three. I feel they tend to spend too long out in the wild, waiting for the occasional heavy storms. (Apart from topping up a few trusts and adding some global growth technology trusts), I have a gold miner (Polymetal), some renewables, and a small amount of dividend cash awaiting further opportunities.

Yes I always wonder with Ruffer if they're being a bit too clever and what the cost of all those options and protections is on the portfolio.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”