Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to ErroneousBee,GSVsowhat,Shelford,Hypster,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Dod101
Lemon Half

Re: Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2021, 10:17 am

Adamski wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:...there a question mark over Ali Baba, too, for political reasons? The boss seems to have got into hot water with the Chinese govt. My problem is remembering all I read with avid interest now that my brain is permanently fogged.

yes the boss has got in hot water, CEO Jack Ma hasn't been seen since October, but he isn't "missing" just upset the Chinese communist party by criticising them, and told to lay low.

As well as criticising the CCP, there is an issue that Alibaba is too powerful, and the CCP wants to make it down a peg or two. Alibaba set up Alipay, now Ant 33% owned by Baba, which is used for billions of financial transactions on phones in China, making cash obsolete.

The CCP blocked the IPO of the Ant Group, then launched an investigation into Alibaba and ordered the Ant Group revamp its businesses to stop anti competitive behaviour.

I think SMT have a 5% holding on Alibaba, whose share price boomed Mar to Oct, but has dropped back down last 3 months because of this. Arguably it is undervalued, say compared to Amazon, as it dominates eCommerce in China.

Do you have any evidence for the comments on Jack Ma? At 30 September 6.1% of SMT's portfolio was in Alibaba.

Dod

joey

Postby joey » January 12th, 2021, 10:28 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Well done. It's falling now.

I noticed :D

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Dod asked:

"Do you have any evidence for the comments on Jack Ma? At 30 September 6.1% of SMT's portfolio was in Alibaba."
I read about it in The Times: "https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mystery-of-chinas-missing-alibaba-tycoon-jack-ma-7nh9vnqhv" Similar articles in FT and elsewhere.

Dod101
Lemon Half

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Dod asked:

"Do you have any evidence for the comments on Jack Ma? At 30 September 6.1% of SMT's portfolio was in Alibaba."
I read about it in The Times: "https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mystery-of-chinas-missing-alibaba-tycoon-jack-ma-7nh9vnqhv" Similar articles in FT and elsewhere.

Thanks. I obviously missed that in my paper but Googling the same thing would suggest that no one really knows where he is but judging by what has happened to others it is likely that he has been told to lie low. I am genuinely interested but I am not sure we ought to take these comments as fact, more like informed speculation. A lot rides on the attitude of the CCP; that is why I am interested.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm

joey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Well done. It's falling now.

I noticed :D

Indeed. And you warned us ahead of time, so we've noone but ourselves to blame for failing to take heed. :oops:

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » January 13th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Dod asked:

Thanks. I obviously missed that in my paper but Googling the same thing would suggest that no one really knows where he is but judging by what has happened to others it is likely that he has been told to lie low. I am genuinely interested but I am not sure we ought to take these comments as fact, more like informed speculation. A lot rides on the attitude of the CCP; that is why I am interested.

Dod

Rather than lying low I think he will be dead or imprisoned By now.

bluedonkey
Lemon Slice

Postby bluedonkey » January 13th, 2021, 7:18 pm

MaraMan wrote:Apologies if this has already been posted, but holders of SMT may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBESgEo3m8

MM

Finally got round to watching this. Strongly recommend watching if you haven't already. Very different from the usual pseudo-macroeconomic guff most investment managers come out with.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 16th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Scottish Mortgage calls for patience amid China tech crackdown

Fund managers of UK's biggest investment trust play down threat from China’s crackdown on big tech companies in which they are invested but appeal for more time to find out what is going on.

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/n ... test1-list

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”