Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Just a thought

Closed-end funds and OEICs
G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Just a thought

Postby G3lc » April 27th, 2024, 9:42 am

Of the top ten holdings in MRCH only 4 pay more in dividends than the Trust itself pays its investors, while in CTY it is only 2, while I appreciate they have other ways of creating income, and have a long record of increasing dividend payments, one could perhaps ask, will the music stop?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Just a thought

Postby kempiejon » April 27th, 2024, 10:14 am

G3lc wrote:Of the top ten holdings in MRCH only 4 pay more in dividends than the Trust itself pays its investors, while in CTY it is only 2, while I appreciate they have other ways of creating income, and have a long record of increasing dividend payments, one could perhaps ask, will the music stop?

Perhaps not but it could probably slow down. Still high yielding but actual income growth I think has tapered off. I guess those sorts of ITs will only be able to maintain an increase from reserves for a measurable time if the underlying constituents don't start increasing. Of course if one holding was a large %age and had a high yield it could carry the trust but those 2 aren't built like that. Is it 15% of income that can be held back in good years to cover leaner periods? How many years were City of London Investment Trust and Merchants Trust able to salt money away and how much is left?

Merchants Dividend cover (revenue reserves) (years) of 0.64 years.
dividend 1.8% compounded 5 year annualised dividend growth.
https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/me ... /dividends

City did better at dividend growth 2.58% pa have 0.44 years of reserve
https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/ci ... /dividends

Jam2Day
Lemon Pip

Re: Just a thought

Postby Jam2Day » May 5th, 2024, 4:58 pm

I was interested to hear that Bruce Stout (Murray International) considered the UK to be a possible dividend trap. As things stand, I am inclined to agree which does pose a few questions for income funds which focus largely on the UK. However, I believe there is a silver lining in that a dividend culture in certain overseas markets (notably Japan & emerging) is becoming more popular, not least because it will attract capital inflows which is especially relevant to China where they have been seeing considerable capital outflows. Whether that dividend is genuinely sustainable through growth and profitability or merely a tail chewing bung is that old perennial chestnut :).

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”