Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Personal Assets v Capital Gearing v RICA?

Closed-end funds and OEICs
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Personal Assets v Capital Gearing v RICA?

Postby richfool » April 18th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Further to the PNL Quarterly Report above, Ruffer also "continues to operate with a relatively modest exposure to risk assets (c 30% including equities and commodity exposure)"
The fund's duration assets, through inflation-linked government bonds and gold exposure, delivered positive contributions as yields fell. On the negative side of the ledger, the fund's exposure to commodity assets detracted from performance as uncertainty over the health of the global economy rose. Given the stability of the portfolio through these rapidly shifting sands, we resisted the temptation to make major changes. However, we did increase yen exposure to c 15% to enhance its role as a key protective asset in the portfolio's armoury.

There appears to be a growing dichotomy between the interpretation of recent events by bond and commodity markets compared to equities. The former are more than hinting that economic conditions are soon to deteriorate, whilst the latter is basking in another duration led rally catalysed by the fall in bond yields. We do not believe that both views can be held simultaneously for long. Our issue with the equity market's muscle memory is that given policymaker's battle with persistent inflation, you cannot have falling rates without a recession taking the heat out of the economy. We understand the logic that a lower discount rate makes future cash flows more valuable in the present, but we doubt that future cash flows will be unblemished in a tougher economic backdrop. Given this viewpoint, we continue to operate with a relatively modest exposure to risk assets (c 30% including equities and commodity exposure).

In 2022 investors were fixated on the rate of change of interest rates, however, we do not think financial markets are out of the woods even if policymakers appear to be reaching the final stages of their current rate hiking cycle. We operate in a financial system that has become accustomed to ever lower interest rates over the past four decades. The obvious outcome in such an environment is for leverage to increase - and increase it has. Whilst interest rates might have risen sharply over the last 12 months, the impact is not always felt instantaneously. As Warren Buffett once said, "only when the tide goes out do you learn who has been swimming naked". A repricing of the cost of capital has already taken out the giddiest parts of the market but the longer rates are held at current levels, the further the pain is likely to spread.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/ruffer-in ... 00045968W/

So I'm not sure that there is anywhere to hide, or find opportunities to grow one's investments for some time yet. RICA and PNL have significant amounts in Gov bonds and TIPS, and some gold. I can't help thinking that cash in bank type accounts is currently offering returns of 3-4%. Or maybe I need to look again at multi-asset trusts of the "Flexible" AIC sector.

Disc: I hold Ruffer (RICA). I no longer hold PNL.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » April 19th, 2023, 6:57 am

Recent (8th April) Money Makers podcast with guest Peter Spiller of CGT.
Always a bit more nuance with the spoken word than dry text.

W.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 19th, 2023, 9:12 am

Wuffle wrote:Recent (8th April) Money Makers podcast with guest Peter Spiller of CGT.
Always a bit more nuance with the spoken word than dry text.

W.

This one?
https://money-makers.co/2023/04/08/mone ... -apr-2023/

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » April 19th, 2023, 9:28 am

Yes, that's it.
Starts about 13 minutes in.
I like these podcasts. They are dedicated to the IT universe and the bloke has been floating about for years and clearly knows the players and the game.

W.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 10th, 2023, 10:01 am

Cross link to a post about Ruffer, CGT and PNL.

viewtopic.php?p=601127#p601127

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » August 6th, 2023, 5:19 pm

Now that we have something approaching half-way decent yields and 100% certainty around when you get your principal returned plus capital gains tax free is anyone who is/has held these "wealth preserver" funds considering short dated gilts?

I've been doing a lot to try and simplify my portfolio since this thread started and right now it's just 60% global tracker and 20% each in RICA and CGT.

I think I could be very easily tempted to (for example) change that to a 70/30 with something like TN24 or TN25.

Almost "doing a Buffett" with stocks and a bulletproof "cash" allocation that actually provides a return.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 6th, 2023, 6:59 pm

Aminatidi wrote:Now that we have something approaching half-way decent yields and 100% certainty around when you get your principal returned plus capital gains tax free is anyone who is/has held these "wealth preserver" funds considering short dated gilts?

I've been doing a lot to try and simplify my portfolio since this thread started and right now it's just 60% global tracker and 20% each in RICA and CGT.

I think I could be very easily tempted to (for example) change that to a 70/30 with something like TN24 or TN25.

Almost "doing a Buffett" with stocks and a bulletproof "cash" allocation that actually provides a return.

viewtopic.php?p=604783&sid=c3a8df328e502a30bc6a395cbc4f0a50#p604783

viewtopic.php?p=601461#p601461

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 27th, 2023, 10:54 am

Interesting interview with Sebastian Lyons of Personal Assets on Stephen Clapham's "Behind the Balance Sheet" Podcast. Well worth a listen IMHO: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/2 ... 0634992590

Even though I am not currently a holder of PNL, he is someone I really enjoy listening to because he has a very well defined investment process. And the more I think about the investment landscape moving forward I am finding myself gravitating more towards wealth preservation by diversifying away from equities into other asset classes, particularly having bought gold for the first time ever the day Putin's tanks rolled into Ukraine.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2023, 4:48 pm

simoan wrote:Interesting interview with Sebastian Lyons of Personal Assets on Stephen Clapham's "Behind the Balance Sheet" Podcast. Well worth a listen IMHO: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/2 ... 0634992590

Even though I am not currently a holder of PNL, he is someone I really enjoy listening to because he has a very well defined investment process. And the more I think about the investment landscape moving forward I am finding myself gravitating more towards wealth preservation by diversifying away from equities into other asset classes, particularly having bought gold for the first time ever the day Putin's tanks rolled into Ukraine.

All the best, Si

I like Sebastian Lyons and there is a lot in this podcast that is worth taking note of. He is clear and decisive in his views.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 27th, 2023, 5:03 pm

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:Interesting interview with Sebastian Lyons of Personal Assets on Stephen Clapham's "Behind the Balance Sheet" Podcast. Well worth a listen IMHO: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/2 ... 0634992590

All the best, Si

I like Sebastian Lyons and there is a lot in this podcast that is worth taking note of. He is clear and decisive in his views.

Dod

Yes, agreed. The podcast made me think more about what I need to do going forwards. I have been de-risking my portfolio for the past couple of years but still have too much equity exposure. I find his arguments for a sideways equity market for the next several years quite compelling, if I'm honest. Something to think about at least...

Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » November 27th, 2023, 6:06 pm

All the best, Si

Isn't it Lyon? Singular not plural?

Apologies if I'm thinking of the wrong Lyon or Lyons.

Eddie

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2023, 8:05 pm

Dumbo wrote:

All the best, Si

Isn't it Lyon? Singular not plural?

Apologies if I'm thinking of the wrong Lyon or Lyons.

Eddie

I think it is Sebastian Lyon but that does not detract from the attraction of listening to the podcast.

Dod

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”