Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Missed the Boris Bounce.

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Parky
Lemon Slice

Missed the Boris Bounce.

Postby Parky » December 18th, 2019, 11:48 am

I was waiting to invest some more cash until after the election, but have missed the "Boris Bounce", which was too fast for me to catch. I noticed that many of the ITs have gone up by a reduction of the discount, which may or may not be reflected in future anticipated increases in NAV. I will probably wait now for things to settle down, but has anyone here noticed any bargains still available in medium to large ITs, with a reasonably large UK content, medium yield (2% or so) for a long-term investment?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Missed the Boris Bounce.

Postby scotia » December 18th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Parky wrote:I was waiting to invest some more cash until after the election, but have missed the "Boris Bounce", which was too fast for me to catch. I noticed that many of the ITs have gone up by a reduction of the discount, which may or may not be reflected in future anticipated increases in NAV. I will probably wait now for things to settle down, but has anyone here noticed any bargains still available in medium to large ITs, with a reasonably large UK content, medium yield (2% or so) for a long-term investment?

I took advantage of the Boris bounce, and sold out some UK ITs who's discount had disappeared. I think new IT investments in the UK market can wait until reality sets in and discounts widen.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » December 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Parky wrote:I was waiting to invest some more cash until after the election, but have missed the "Boris Bounce", which was too fast for me to catch. I noticed that many of the ITs have gone up by a reduction of the discount, which may or may not be reflected in future anticipated increases in NAV. I will probably wait now for things to settle down, but has anyone here noticed any bargains still available in medium to large ITs, with a reasonably large UK content, medium yield (2% or so) for a long-term investment?

Shows the old adage of buying when you can and just waiting things out, trying to time the market is a mugs game and only works if you're really lucky or looking at history.

Schroeder UK Mid cap (SCP)- done very well from Boris, but still trades on a 8% discount. Reasonably volatile though, but overall a good performer - ie a longer term holding is required.

One you could look at for the next bounce are Asian stocks, if Trump/China agree terms, then they'll both probably bump up. AAIF and JAI are both on 6-8% discounts though the US-speciality trusts are not.

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » December 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Keystone is still on a 12% discount and yields around 3% domestically focussed and value orientated, so has missed out on the recent growth orientated rise.
But probably a fairly safe and stodgy long term hold.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 18th, 2019, 6:48 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:
One you could look at for the next bounce are Asian stocks, if Trump/China agree terms, then they'll both probably bump up. AAIF and JAI are both on 6-8% discounts though the US-speciality trusts are not.

I'm with you on that one!

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 19th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I wouldn't worry - you may find the market drops back on the next crisis 8-) If you look at the overall chart, there have been many bounces and falls of a similar magnitude, and the market is well below the peak, so the "bounce" hasn't so far amount to anything earth shattering.

Just take it as it comes - there are still reasonable bargains around.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”