Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Twa Murrays

Closed-end funds and OEICs
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Twa Murrays

Postby richfool » January 6th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
richfool wrote:
scotia wrote:Looking at the figures already quoted for MYI (Murray International), and adding a few more we see it has a total return of 57% over 5 years, compared to 77% for VWRL (Vanguard World Tracker ETF). And it looks even worse when compared to popular global funds - 144% for Lindsell Train Global Equity and 136% for Fundsmith.
But why is MYI performing so poorly? Looking at its weightings, it has only 14.6% in the USA. This compares to 33% for Lindsell Train Global Equity, 53% for VWRL, and 65% for Fundsmith. Now in the USA, major companies are tending to use share buy-backs rather than dividends. So is it MYI's high dividend policy that is resulting in them missing out on many excellent USA companies? And is this likely to continue - or get worse? If so, it seems that MYI's future relative performance can only improve if the USA takes a dive (compared to other world areas). I think I'll stick to VWRL, Lindsell Train and Fundsmith.

I note the overall return mentioned when comparing MYI to VWRL and Fundsmith, but no one has mentioned the dividend returns of VWRL and Fundsmith as compared with that of MYI.

Scotia cited total return numbers, which includes dividends as well as gains.

I found the answer for VWRL yield: 1.98% (as 30 Nov 2019).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... tributions

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 6th, 2020, 6:15 pm

As Lootman clarified - I was quoting total returns. I personally don't concern myself too much with a dividend yield when making investments - since I can simply sell part of my investments to achieve any level of income that I desire. Hence total return is my most relevant factor. However I appreciate that there are many Investors who require a substantial (and increasing) income from their investments - and who wish to buy mainstream investments (often high yield Income ITs) and let them deliver the goods with the minimum of further attention. Currently that doesn't seem to be the most profitable approach - but circumstances may change, and there may be a re-valuation of high yield Income shares - then I hope I'll be sprightly enough to change my current approach of favouring growth shares.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 6th, 2020, 6:23 pm

richfool wrote:I found the answer for VWRL yield: 1.98% (as 30 Nov 2019).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... tributions

which concurs with https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... etf-usdgbp

as an alternative check - although your VG link would be the best source!

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”