Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Funds in non-GBP currencies

Closed-end funds and OEICs
bernie

Funds in non-GBP currencies

Postby bernie » March 22nd, 2020, 10:46 pm

What are the implications of buying a fund in a foreign currency, such as https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discoun ... cumulation, which is in EUR?

The reason or my question is that I am doing some backtesting, and I want to know if I need to take into account currency conversions.

bernie

Re: Funds in non-GBP currencies

Postby bernie » March 22nd, 2020, 10:53 pm

i.e.

Suppose I buy a £100 of a fund that is in USD, and it goes up in price from $100 to $101.

Will I have made £1 profit? Or will I also need to take into account the movement of the GBPUSD exchange rate?

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » March 28th, 2020, 2:53 pm

If the price is quoted in USD and you want to measure your performance in GBP, of course you will have to convert back from USD to GBP.

1 Calculate the cost in GBP at the exchange rate prevailing at the time of purchasing
2 Calculate the current GBP valuation using the current exchange rate.

You can set up a google spreadsheet to do this automatically for stocks and perhaps it would work for funds, if google have fund prices.

Also, I don't know how it works with funds, but some of the brokers charge some fairly obscene foreign exchange spreads for buying overseas stocks.
1.5 ~1.75% is not unknown. That's just price gouging.

bernie

Postby bernie » April 5th, 2020, 10:01 pm

I had a confusing email from my broker saying that all these funds are actually traded in GBP, which confused me.

I guess the only way to find out what happens is to place some minimum size orders and see what happens.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”