Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Closed-end funds and OEICs
bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Postby bluedonkey » July 14th, 2020, 10:08 am

SoBo65 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have no idea scrumpjack but I am very happy with the share price increase in SMT, having long since extracted my original investment and in any case, my holding is in an ISA. As of this evening it is still more than my holding was worth on 31 December 2019, having sold three times since then, at more than 10% of my then holding each time.

Amazing.

Dod

I am in a similar position, but keep thinking 'trees don't grow to the sky' as someone once said....

Looks like the tree has been pruned a bit today.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 14th, 2020, 10:20 am

I must say it seemed to be the subject of irrational exuberance yesterday so it has come back to just over £9 as I write. I wonder if it will make £10 any time soon?

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 14th, 2020, 10:54 am

Dod101 wrote:I must say it seemed to be the subject of irrational exuberance yesterday so it has come back to just over £9 as I write. I wonder if it will make £10 any time soon?

Dod

===========================

tesla down 12% today ...

8-)

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » July 14th, 2020, 11:51 am

SMT down 6% today. I was sweating like an ox when I sold a load at 914p and then it rapidly went to 959p. I am very conflicted as:

a) its no good for ones heart all this worry and daily checking
b) it doesn't matter anyway as this is for a pension in 20 years
c) I still hold a load of them so want it to go up but not too quickly after i sold
d) I love 92% of all investment companies including SMT so only want good things

Woe is me!

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » July 14th, 2020, 11:53 am

MaraMan wrote:Well on today's rise I sold a third of my SMT stake, bringing it down to the same levels of holding as Fundsmith and Monks, both bought at the same time with the same amount. I have kept my powder dry on Amazon as I cannot make my mind up what to do about that one :roll:
It's an interesting time.....
MM

If its anything like my household it would be a case of

1) *lightsupcigar* / pours whisky
2) blows it out satisfactorily. / drinks it
3) Seeks adulation from the wife who isn't listening and doesn't really care that much. may even say "thats nice dear" if she is really on a wind up lol

Good work MaraMan. Nothing better than some great timing for a buzz

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 14th, 2020, 12:03 pm

DavidM13 wrote:
MaraMan wrote:Well on today's rise I sold a third of my SMT stake, bringing it down to the same levels of holding as Fundsmith and Monks, both bought at the same time with the same amount. I have kept my powder dry on Amazon as I cannot make my mind up what to do about that one :roll:
MM

If its anything like my household it would be a case of

1) *lightsupcigar* / pours whisky
2) blows it out satisfactorily. / drinks it
3) Seeks adulation from the wife who isn't listening and doesn't really care that much. may even say "thats nice dear" if she is really on a wind up lol

Good work MaraMan. Nothing better than some great timing for a buzz

Thanks DavidM13, I have to admit to a sense of quiet satisfaction (for once!). And you have the situation at home bang on!

Now if only I could find away of making the right investment decision more often :lol:

MM

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 14th, 2020, 12:16 pm

MM

So what are you going to do with the proceeds?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:I must say it seemed to be the subject of irrational exuberance yesterday so it has come back to just over £9 as I write. I wonder if it will make £10 any time soon?

Dod

... or £8?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 14th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
MM

I have been thinking on that, I don't want to increase my holdings in my other holdings, which have generally done pretty well (such as Monks, Amazon and Fundsmith) so I am inclined to buy some Smithson and Blue Whale. I usually avoid Funds as I am with HL and their fees are painful, but I cannot complain about Fundsmith's performance despite the impact of HL fees. I am hoping for the same with BW as I like what I have seen from them, but I would welcome any other views. I also think these two will not overlap too significantly with my other holdings.

MM

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 14th, 2020, 4:23 pm

MaraMan wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
MM

I have been thinking on that, I don't want to increase my holdings in my other holdings, which have generally done pretty well (such as Monks, Amazon and Fundsmith) so I am inclined to buy some Smithson and Blue Whale. I usually avoid Funds as I am with HL and their fees are painful, but I cannot complain about Fundsmith's performance despite the impact of HL fees. I am hoping for the same with BW as I like what I have seen from them, but I would welcome any other views. I also think these two will not overlap too significantly with my other holdings.

MM

It will be interesting to see whether your choice does better than sticking with SMT would have done in the long term. I am very bad about taking profits so have held on to my SMT holding so far, which has done far better than the one in Monks which I bought around the same time. Much will depend on what Tesla does. I see that Monks reduced their holding of the latter at one point. Do you know whether SMT has done likewise?

Good luck, anyway, and keep up informed.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 14th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Thanks bouleversee, I don't think SMT have reduced their Tesla holding, which I must admit does worry me quite a bit. I guess I just have to trust the managers on that, but I did want to derisk my portfolio a little as SMT had grown to an unreasonable proportion. I have basically taken most of my original stake out of SMT and letting the notional profits run and it still represents a healthy chunk of my SIPP. I agree the replacements my not prove to be the stars that SMT has been, but similarly they aren't heavily stacked with Tesla & Amazon, which collectively account for around 22% of SMT.

MM

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Much will depend on what Tesla does. I see that Monks reduced their holding of the latter at one point. Do you know whether SMT has done likewise?

Good luck, anyway, and keep up informed.

There was a link posted on this thread a little while ago to an article about SMT's history. I believe it mentioned that SMT have cut their Amazon holding at different times. I think it said that the holding would be 3x the current size if SMT had never sold. Perhaps similar for Tesla?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 14th, 2020, 5:08 pm

I'm still up 104% with SMT, not having held them for all that long, whereas the other 16 holdings in that particular ISA are showing large losses, apart from BHP which shows a tiny profit so I don't feel any incentive to ditch my sole winner in favour of any of the losers. In fact, if SMT comes down much further I shall be topping up with the £2k + cash sitting in the ISA waiting for a home. Bumps along the way don't worry me so long as the long term prospects are still there which I think they are. The only thing that worries me is whether the managers might retire or call it a day.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 14th, 2020, 5:11 pm

bluedonkey wrote:

Dod

... or £8?

It could easily come back to £8 and if it does, I will be totally relaxed about it. I see it closed today at under £9. Bouleversee might like to note that James Anderson is 60 but is showing no signs of retirement. In any case, Tom Slater, his No 2, seems cast in the same mould.

Dod

Dod

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » July 14th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Down 7% in a day.

I don't currently hold it but was considering it though it looked "toppy" recently.

Opportunity or still toppy?

Hyndford

Postby Hyndford » July 14th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Bouleversee wrote:It will be interesting to see whether your choice does better than sticking with SMT would have done in the long term. I am very bad about taking profits so have held on to my SMT holding so far, which has done far better than the one in Monks which I bought around the same time. Much will depend on what Tesla does. I see that Monks reduced their holding of the latter at one point. Do you know whether SMT has done likewise?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Monks limit their holdings to 4% of the portfolio which is a big differentiator from the more concentrated SMT.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 14th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Aminatidi wrote:Down 7% in a day.

I don't currently hold it but was considering it though it looked "toppy" recently.

Opportunity or still toppy?

Well it could easily drop back to £8 but then it could continue its upward path. I would be inclined to buy some now and see what happens. If it drops back then buy the rest. If it continues upwards, then you need to decide but at least you will have some profit.

Trying to time the market is notoriously difficult.

But DYOR, don't let me influence you.

Dod

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 21st, 2020, 9:50 am

Oh gosh, it's at it again today!

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 21st, 2020, 10:03 am

Probably something to do with Amazon's SP rising nearly 8% yesterday following broker upgrades in anticipation of Q2 figs to be released on the 30th. Also Tesla also up alot, again, based on expected earnings released this week being better than expected.

MM

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

I've been trying to buy some SMT in my wife's ISA., but the SP kept running away from us. I eventually went to do it yesterday, after topping up funds friday, but due to a processing hiccough it took most of yesterday to get the funds actually credited to her account. So I was a bit miffed as we ended up having to pay 911p. (It started the day in the 890's). So imagine my surprise this morning seeing it race up to 943p (+3.03%).

USA (Baillie Gifford US Growth trust), which holds most of the US big tech stocks including Tesla and Amazon, also shot up c 5.5% today.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”