Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

My Investment Trust Strategy

Closed-end funds and OEICs
OllyDrod
2 Lemon pips

Re: My Investment Trust Strategy

Postby OllyDrod » May 30th, 2020, 3:23 pm

richfool wrote:Agreed that is one of my weaknesses, - tinkering. I take an interest in stock markets and enjoy following them, and all too often get drawn into making adjustments. I do keep telling myself that I have assembled the portfolio that I want and therefore should leave it there, which is where I am now. My excuse then becomes, just the accumulated dividends to reinvest. I think my New Year's resolution is, not more than one trade a month.

As long as the 'tinkering' is round the edges, I don't see anything materially wrong with it. I try to buy and hold because I tend to agonise about when to sell and then made things worse for myself by continuing to monitor the price of ex-holdings (naturally fixating on the ones that have gone on to do much better, rather than the ones where the share price has subsequently collapsed). I'm trying to inject more discipline into my process by setting a stop-loss and a fixed sell price on anything I'm not wedded to for the long-term. If the latter is reached, I will generally take profit. If the former is triggered, I minimise my losses. Otherwise, I'll typically hold unless something materially changes my view of the outlook for the stock. I find this helps manage my 'animal spirits': if 'present me' is tempted to deviate from what 'past me' said I (we?) would do, there has to be a compelling reason to do so.
- OllyDrod

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » May 30th, 2020, 3:30 pm

richfool wrote:Agreed that is one of my weaknesses, - tinkering. I take an interest in stock markets and enjoy following them, and all too often get drawn into making adjustments. I do keep telling myself that I have assembled the portfolio that I want and therefore should leave it there, which is where I am now. My excuse then becomes, just the accumulated dividends to reinvest. I think my New Year's resolution is, not more than one trade a month.

One thing I've seen recommended and something that I sort of do myself is to either have a separate small "play" account somewhere cheap like Trading212 or have a small allocation to a "trading" pot where you don't beat yourself up too much if you're turning it over because the other 90-95% remains doing what it's meant to do because you're not messing with that.

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » May 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Hello richfool - I looked at POLY about a year ago when it was half the price it is today but it kept going up and I did nothing waiting for the price to fall back, but it didn’t, so missed the boat again, I hold CEY, another one I paid too much for, I think you got the right one.
Regards

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

I thought I would give an update on my portfolio and my current thinking.

As mentioned I added NAIT earlier this year for its broader based US exposure with income. Since then I felt I was missing out on growth which seems to be in vogue currently, partly because of Covid implications. Also many dividend payers have cut dividends. So I added USA for its US technology exposure and SMT and Monks for their broader growth and technology exposure.

I have also been having doubts about HINT's capital performance, as compared to JGGI, though I appreciate they are not the same animals (JGGI targets technology and growth stocks more and supports its dividend from capital). Similarly, MYI whilst paying a good dividend yield, continues to be at the back of the pack for capital growth. So I have left both underweight in my portfolio to give them more time to prove themselves and decided, despite reservations about it holding a caravan park and a data centre, I've taken a small position in SAIN (formerly SCAM). It's performance seems to have held up well through the Covid disruption and I am increasingly growing to like the Baillie Gifford house.

One other thought I have is whether (perhaps belatedly) to buy some BRWM. On the one hand I accept miners are cyclical. Also its SP is already fairly high, as is gold, but on the other hand it holds several gold miners (with c 33% in gold miners) with possible further upside or at least an element of defensiveness (if the wheels do fall off), and if the world is going to stimulate recovery through infrastructure projects then miners should do well. It also provides a reasonable dividend yield c 5.60%

So currently I am watching, ideally for a correction, with a view to buying BRWM and topping up SAIN and SMT.

NAIT - North American Income trust
HINT - Henderson global growth & income trust
JGGI - JP Morgan Global growth & income trust
USA - Baillie Gifford US growth trust
SAIN - (Baillie Gifford) Scottish American Investment trust (Global growth & income) (formerly SCAM)
BRWM - Blackrock World Mining trust

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 12th, 2020, 12:45 pm

How about BERI (former BRCI) - miners and oil.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.01

(I didn't realise it had gone as low as 36p a few weeks ago!)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 12th, 2020, 1:46 pm

monabri wrote:How about BERI (former BRCI) - miners and oil.

(I didn't realise it had gone as low as 36p a few weeks ago!)

Yes, I did look at that one (BERI), (a higher yield too), but I don't want exposure to oil companies, hence settling on the miners.

I have some renewable energy stocks, but want to avoid the big oil companies, where possible, - accepted some of my G&I trust have some oil holdings.

Wyneric

Postby Wyneric » July 14th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Think it's worth pointing out that they recently issued a statement re change of portfolio...basically...

..."The neutral sector weightings of 50% mining and 50% traditional energy in the current composite index will evolve to 40% mining, 30% traditional energy and 30% sustainable energy sector weightings"....

https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock ... 4337P77B2/

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 14th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Wyneric wrote:Think it's worth pointing out that they recently issued a statement re change of portfolio...basically...

..."The neutral sector weightings of 50% mining and 50% traditional energy in the current composite index will evolve to 40% mining, 30% traditional energy and 30% sustainable energy sector weightings"....

Thanks for that additional information, Wymeric. However its the miners I am interested in (with some gold thrown in, which BRWM provides).

(I have lots of renewable energy exposure and don't want "oily" energy.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 4th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Wyneric wrote:Think it's worth pointing out that they recently issued a statement re change of portfolio...basically...

Thanks to Monabri and Wyneric for the above suggestion and information. I must admit when you made the suggestion, I already had historical preconceptions of BERI (formerly BRCI) holding lots of oil companies and I wanted to stay away from oil, so I didn't give full thought to your suggestion or indeed the information Wyneric provided in the link.

However, after recently looking at BRWM, I moved on to look at BERI again, only to properly realise its move away from big oil towards sustainable energy, as well as it including some miners,including several gold miners. In addition it currently offers a dividend yield of 6.47% at a discount of 13.35% discount. So to cut the long story short, I've just bought some BERI. I am looking upon the oil exposure as something of a contrarian/recovery play.

So thanks again for the suggestion and sowing the seed.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 16th, 2021, 1:52 pm

richfool wrote:

Thanks to Monabri and Wyneric for the above suggestion and information. I must admit when you made the suggestion, I already had historical preconceptions of BERI (formerly BRCI) holding lots of oil companies and I wanted to stay away from oil, so I didn't give full thought to your suggestion or indeed the information Wyneric provided in the link.

However, after recently looking at BRWM, I moved on to look at BERI again, only to properly realise its move away from big oil towards sustainable energy, as well as it including some miners,including several gold miners. In addition it currently offers a dividend yield of 6.47% at a discount of 13.35% discount. So to cut the long story short, I've just bought some BERI. I am looking upon the oil exposure as something of a contrarian/recovery play.

So thanks again for the suggestion and sowing the seed.

Are these still the place to be? I think so, and am maintaining my significant holding in BERI, (because of its exposure to energy both renewable and traditional), though I also have smaller holdings in BRWM and CYN, (as well as SEIT and GRID).

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”