Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Nick Train's 3 Great Companies (MoneyWeek interview)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
KnightOfSpring
Lemon Pip

Nick Train's 3 Great Companies (MoneyWeek interview)

Postby KnightOfSpring » June 23rd, 2020, 6:41 pm

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nick Train's 3 Great Companies (MoneyWeek interview)

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » June 24th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I notice Unilever isn’t there.

Best wishes

Mark

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm

ADrunkenMarcus wrote:I notice Unilever isn’t there.

Best wishes

Mark

Apart from being mentioned literally in the 3rd sentence (as a great business) you mean?

KnightOfSpring
Lemon Pip

Postby KnightOfSpring » June 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Hi Mark,

I don't think there is anything of concern with Unilever's omission. Nick does list Unilever, Kao Corporation (which he calls Japan's Unilever) and Walt Disney as other great companies than don't quite make hs top 3. He's been banging the drum on Unilever for so long that he might have just fancied a change (of course this could have applied to Diageo). Bit surprised Heineken is in there- thought beer was seen as not particularly attractive and think Terry Smith doesn't much like beer, saying the return on capital on beer was lower than spirits. Also would have thought Heineken might have an issue with the whole craft beer thing (although I assume that lager brands are more shielded than ale brands). I have Unilever, Diageo and RELX as my top three holdings but don't own Heineken. Part of the reason for this is I am assuming the tax treatment on most European shares dividends is quite harsh or at least a hassle to reclaim.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » June 24th, 2020, 1:17 pm

dealtn wrote:
ADrunkenMarcus wrote:I notice Unilever isn’t there.

Best wishes

Mark

Apart from being mentioned literally in the 3rd sentence (as a great business) you mean?

No, I mean in the list.

Best wishes

Mark

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » June 24th, 2020, 1:18 pm

KnightOfSpring wrote:Hi Mark,

I don't think there is anything of concern with Unilever's omission. Nick does list Unilever, Kao Corporation (which he calls Japan's Unilever) and Walt Disney as other great companies than don't quite make hs top 3. He's been banging the drum on Unilever for so long that he might have just fancied a change (of course this could have applied to Diageo). Bit surprised Heineken is in there- thought beer was seen as not particularly attractive and think Terry Smith doesn't much like beer, saying the return on capital on beer was lower than spirits. Also would have thought Heineken might have an issue with the whole craft beer thing (although I assume that lager brands are more shielded than ale brands). I have Unilever, Diageo and RELX as my top three holdings but don't own Heineken. Part of the reason for this is I am assuming the tax treatment on most European shares dividends is quite harsh or at least a hassle to reclaim.

He’s probably right that Diageo has somewhat stronger brand power than Unilever- I hold both.

Best wishes

Mark

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 24th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Relx has put on a good show since 2012-ish but prior to this the price was flat. What was the catalyst that lead to the increase in ~2012?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm

monabri wrote:Relx has put on a good show since 2012-ish but prior to this the price was flat. What was the catalyst that lead to the increase in ~2012?

https://www.relx.com/~/media/Files/R/RE ... report.pdf

Not a company I know particularly well (at least since the 1980s/90s anyway), but a place to start is the company results. Interestingly in the "Chairman's Statement" no mention of share buybacks in 2011, but a section in both 2012 and 2013 about them.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”