Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Re: BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Postby Wuffle » May 8th, 2021, 7:13 am

I have a bagger.

Generally I made an awful hash of the Covid dip so hold the applause.
I will be hanging on I think. The momentum seems to be holding in the raw commodities.

W.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 8th, 2021, 9:30 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Wuffle wrote:I have a bagger.

Generally I made an awful hash of the Covid dip so hold the applause.
I will be hanging on I think. The momentum seems to be holding in the raw commodities.

W.

Well done. I am a relative late comer to BERI but since buying in the mid 80's a few weeks/months back I am very happy with the price appreciation. As well as the dividends that I originally bought it for. Hanging on to this one too, I think there may be more to come.

RVF

Yes, it's doing great with the upsurge in basic resources, commodities and energy. I bought in last November and am currently up 51%. I've since added CYN (CQS Natural Resources) to my portfolio, which is also doing very well. CYN has higher percentage holdings of copper and gold (than either BERI or BRWM - Blackrock World Mining).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 23rd, 2021, 11:33 am

https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust ... der+Weekly

"Mark Hume, co-manager of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income (BERI), explains how the trust played both sides of the clean energy transition to generate a remarkable 94% shareholder total return in the past year after the pandemic crash."

Keep up the good work!

Mentallurgist

Postby Mentallurgist » May 23rd, 2021, 1:00 pm

monabri wrote:https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust-insider/news/how-blackrock-energy-and-resources-made-94-return-trading-zero-carbon-transition/a1510714?re=85495&ea=91468&utm_source=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Weekly&utm_medium=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Weekly&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Weekly

"Mark Hume, co-manager of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income (BERI), explains how the trust played both sides of the clean energy transition to generate a remarkable 94% shareholder total return in the past year after the pandemic crash."

Keep up the good work!

BERI especially - followed by MRCH have done very nicely for me over the last 12 months. As you say - keep up the good work :)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 8th, 2021, 2:56 pm

Dividend info

https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock ... 5754P0793/

"BLACKROCK ENERGY AND RESOURCES INCOME TRUST PLC

(LEI:54930040ALEAVPMMDC31)

ANNOUNCEMENT OF QUARTERLY INTERIM DIVIDEND

8 June 2021

The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that the second quarterly interim dividend in respect of the financial year ending 30 November 2021 of 1.00 pence per ordinary share has been declared by the Directors, payable on 16 July 2021 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 18 June 2021 (ex-dividend date is 17 June 2021). The last date for receipt of mandate instructions for those shareholders who wish to join the Dividend Reinvestment Plan is 25 June 2021.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 15th, 2021, 12:53 pm

https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock ... 4721PC47F/

14 September 2021

The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that the third quarterly interim dividend in respect of the financial year ending 30 November 2021 of 1.00 pence per ordinary share has been declared by the Directors, payable on 19 October 2021 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 24 September 2021 (ex-dividend date is 23 September 2021). The last date for receipt of mandate instructions for those shareholders who wish to join the Dividend Reinvestment Plan is 29 September 2021."

I wonder where all those big dividends from Rio & BHP are?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 15th, 2021, 2:00 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock-energy-and-resources/prn/dividend-declaration/20210914154721PC47F/

14 September 2021

The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that the third quarterly interim dividend in respect of the financial year ending 30 November 2021 of 1.00 pence per ordinary share has been declared by the Directors, payable on 19 October 2021 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 24 September 2021 (ex-dividend date is 23 September 2021). The last date for receipt of mandate instructions for those shareholders who wish to join the Dividend Reinvestment Plan is 29 September 2021."

I wonder where all those big dividends from Rio & BHP are?

Yes, indeed. I noted that BRWM had managed to increase its dividend, so why not BERI.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » September 15th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Sept 6th RNS - Transaction in Own Shares.
First one for ages having skimmed Investegate.
Doesn't suit all shareholders I know but I am very much OK at a 10% discount to NAV.
I have a weakness for the discount/buyback combination, especially with some cheap leverage.
It just seems so mathematically sound.

W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 15th, 2021, 8:38 pm

richfool wrote:I noted that BRWM had managed to increase its dividend, so why not BERI.

Five years since the last increase. And five years ago, they cut it by a third.
Perhaps they want to build up their reserves. After all, mining is pretty cyclical and there will be another downturn eventually.

V8 (holds)

monabri
Lemon Half

BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Postby monabri » December 9th, 2021, 11:49 am

https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock ... 5207P5E8C/

"The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that a fourth quarterly interim dividend in respect of the year to 30 November 2021 of 1.10p per ordinary share (an increase of 10% compared to the previous quarterly dividend) has been declared by the Directors, payable on 14 January 2022 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 17 December 2021 (ex-dividend date is 16 December 2021).

This gives total ordinary dividends of 4.10p per share for the year ended 30 November 2021 against a target of 4.0p per share."

"....the Board is also pleased to announce that it is increasing the annual dividend target for the Company for the year to 30 November 2022 to 4.40p per share (an increase of 10% compared to the previous target). The Company will aim to meet this target dividend next year and beyond, primarily from a mix of dividend income from the portfolio and revenue reserves..."

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 9th, 2021, 12:28 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock-energy-and-resources/prn/dividend-declaration/20211209105207P5E8C/

"The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that a fourth quarterly interim dividend in respect of the year to 30 November 2021 of 1.10p per ordinary share (an increase of 10% compared to the previous quarterly dividend) has been declared by the Directors, payable on 14 January 2022 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 17 December 2021 (ex-dividend date is 16 December 2021).

This gives total ordinary dividends of 4.10p per share for the year ended 30 November 2021 against a target of 4.0p per share."

"....the Board is also pleased to announce that it is increasing the annual dividend target for the Company for the year to 30 November 2022 to 4.40p per share (an increase of 10% compared to the previous target). The Company will aim to meet this target dividend next year and beyond, primarily from a mix of dividend income from the portfolio and revenue reserves..."

Thanks for that Monabri. Long overdue.

The Manager has obviously been reading this thread.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 10th, 2022, 6:13 am

BERI have been issuing a bunch of shares.
Quite a few bought back 2 or 3 years ago at a much lower price and at a discount at the time.
They have cleared the ones held in treasury entirely and pushed some more out of the door at a premium to the current elevated NAV.

W.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 9:07 am

Very nice to see BERI closing in on 150p. Given the highly cyclical nature of this trust's underlying holdings, I am wondering about taking the handsome profit here. Presently I am maybe ~80% up on purchase price and see an opportunity to recycle profits into a higher yield somewhere. What are other holders thinking? Thanks.

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » June 6th, 2022, 9:33 am

BullDog wrote:Very nice to see BERI closing in on 150p. Given the highly cyclical nature of this trust's underlying holdings, I am wondering about taking the handsome profit here. Presently I am maybe ~80% up on purchase price and see an opportunity to recycle profits into a higher yield somewhere. What are other holders thinking? Thanks.

Well its a personal choice isnt it, I hold BERI, BRWM & CYN as an inflation hedge and I dont see the mining/commodities/oil&gas price boom that has driven the SP up as anywhere near over yet. Some might want to top slice if they can see a good opportunity elsewhere, not quite sure where that would be right now - but its definitely an option.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ATB

Pref

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 6th, 2022, 9:44 am

PrefInvestor wrote:
BullDog wrote:Very nice to see BERI closing in on 150p. Given the highly cyclical nature of this trust's underlying holdings, I am wondering about taking the handsome profit here. Presently I am maybe ~80% up on purchase price and see an opportunity to recycle profits into a higher yield somewhere. What are other holders thinking? Thanks.

Well its a personal choice isnt it, I hold BERI, BRWM & CYN as an inflation hedge and I dont see the mining/commodities/oil&gas price boom that has driven the SP up as anywhere near over yet. Some might want to top slice if they can see a good opportunity elsewhere, not quite sure where that would be right now - but its definitely an option.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ATB

Pref

Yes, great stuff. My holding of BERI has just tipped over a 100% gain, (currently 101%). My first and only ever 100% gain!!

I did also hold BRWM and CYN too, but sold those off recently, to rely on, as I see it, the more diversified BERI with its miners AND energy holdings. I am also hanging on to BERI as I am getting a yield on cost of around 6%.

I have been adding to renewable energy holdings recently, with the thinking that they will be less volatile and represent something of alternative asset class to straight equities in the event of a selloff. They also provide a good dividend income.

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » June 6th, 2022, 9:52 am

richfool wrote:I have been adding to renewable energy holdings recently, with the thinking that they will be less volatile and represent something of alternative asset class to straight equities in the event of a selloff. They also provide a good dividend income.

Me too richfool and am quite heavily overweight in renewables holding all of BSIF, FSFL, JLEN, NESF, TRIG & UKW (and GRID & GSF but they arent really renewables IMHO) as I am !. Just hoping we dont get a windfall tax !.

ATB

Pref

PS Just waiting ATM to see how much my BSIF subscription gets scaled back :(

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 10:24 am

Thanks for the replies. I am still overweight energy stocks, both conventional and renewables. I sold 2/3 my Shell holdings at 2400p but still overweight energy as a whole. I think I would like to top slice my BERI and remain in for an almost free ride. But there's no obvious higher yielding candidates that I haven't already topped up from the Shell sale. Thanks again.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » June 6th, 2022, 10:58 am

The wavelength of any commodities vs sp500 graph would appear to be long.
It only turned around fairly recently in the grand scheme of things.

W.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 6th, 2022, 11:14 am

BullDog wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am still overweight energy stocks, both conventional and renewables. I sold 2/3 my Shell holdings at 2400p but still overweight energy as a whole. I think I would like to top slice my BERI and remain in for an almost free ride. But there's no obvious higher yielding candidates that I haven't already topped up from the Shell sale. Thanks again.

It would be worth keeping in mind what dividend yield you are getting on your original cost/outlay. Agreed, I can't think of anything else with currently high dividend yields, as an alternative, apart from renewables, which are at high premiums, unless you want to look at something like: HFEL, - Asia Pacific and China exposure.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 6th, 2022, 11:27 am

PrefInvestor wrote:
richfool wrote:I have been adding to renewable energy holdings recently, with the thinking that they will be less volatile and represent something of alternative asset class to straight equities in the event of a selloff. They also provide a good dividend income.

Me too richfool and am quite heavily overweight in renewables holding all of BSIF, FSFL, JLEN, NESF, TRIG & UKW (and GRID & GSF but they arent really renewables IMHO) as I am !. Just hoping we dont get a windfall tax !.

ATB

Pref

PS Just waiting ATM to see how much my BSIF subscription gets scaled back :(

In terms of renewables, I hold: BSIF, DORE, JLEN, NESF and RNEP, plus SEIT (energy efficiencies), along with GSF and GRID (battery storage). Noted that some of the solar funds and JLEN also hold or are dabbling in storage.

I was concerned I may hold too many/much renewable energy, but am trying to view them as diversifiers, as distinct from equities

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”