Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 11:30 am

richfool wrote:
BullDog wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am still overweight energy stocks, both conventional and renewables. I sold 2/3 my Shell holdings at 2400p but still overweight energy as a whole. I think I would like to top slice my BERI and remain in for an almost free ride. But there's no obvious higher yielding candidates that I haven't already topped up from the Shell sale. Thanks again.

It would be worth keeping in mind what dividend yield you are getting on your original cost/outlay. Agreed, I can't think of anything else with currently high dividend yields, as an alternative, apart from renewables, which are at high premiums, unless you want to look at something like: HFEL, - Asia Pacific and China exposure.

Thanks. From memory, I think I bought at a yield of just over 5%. At today's price it's obviously much lower than that. I already hold HFEL and JAGI and to be honest, I really don't want any more. I favour LGEN and MNG for yield but since topping them up from recent SDRC and SHEL sales, I have enough of them! Still it's a nice problem to mull over! Thanks again.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 6th, 2022, 11:35 am

richfool wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I am still overweight energy stocks, both conventional and renewables. I sold 2/3 my Shell holdings at 2400p but still overweight energy as a whole.

I think I would like to top slice my BERI and remain in for an almost free ride.

But there's no obvious higher yielding candidates that I haven't already topped up from the Shell sale. Thanks again.

It would be worth keeping in mind what dividend yield you are getting on your original cost/outlay.

When looking for potential yields to purchase into, using a 'yield on original cost' figure on which to help base that decision on is not a useful comparison.

If looking to top-slice BERI and rotate released capital into higher-yielding candidates, then the only proper comparison to make would be to set the *current* yield of BERI against the *current* yield of any potential candidate.

Yield-on-cost is a comfort-blanket figure, and nothing else, and should play no part in capital-rotation decisions for potential increased-income purposes...

I wrote a worked-example to show why this is the case here, for anyone interested -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5031&start=20#p54230

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 6th, 2022, 3:01 pm

BullDog wrote:Very nice to see BERI closing in on 150p.

I sold out in late March for CGT, given the yield then was c3%.
Annoying that they've now gone up even more!
Could have trinmed I suppose but I wouldn't buy at that yield so why should I hold at that yield....

Reinvested but not ITs at that time.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 3:09 pm

88V8 wrote:
BullDog wrote:Very nice to see BERI closing in on 150p.

I sold out in late March for CGT, given the yield then was c3%.
Annoying that they've now gone up even more!
Could have trinmed I suppose but I wouldn't buy at that yield so why should I hold at that yield....

Reinvested but not ITs at that time.

V8

Thanks. I am minded to reinvest in another IT. Question is, what? I like JGGI but that's not really a big step up in yield. Recently bought back into SMDS at sub 300p for a 4% yield but I don't want more of it. Hoping that heads back towards 400p where I'll exit again.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 6th, 2022, 3:28 pm

BullDog wrote:Thanks. I am minded to reinvest in another IT. Question is, what? I like JGGI but that's not really a big step up in yield.

How about BlackRock World Mining Trust BRWM a more focused resources play without the energy in BERI. BWMA has about 25% in each of UK and Canada and 20% US and yields 6%. BERI 35% US 16% canada and 12% each in UK and Brazil yields about 3%.
I have both, adding to BRWM but not BERI.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 3:38 pm

kempiejon wrote:
BullDog wrote:Thanks. I am minded to reinvest in another IT. Question is, what? I like JGGI but that's not really a big step up in yield.

How about BlackRock World Mining Trust BRWM a more focused resources play without the energy in BERI. BWMA has about 25% in each of UK and Canada and 20% US and yields 6%. BERI 35% US 16% canada and 12% each in UK and Brazil yields about 3%.

Well........ I just took a look and that's perhaps not a bad idea at all. The yield is showing at HL's website as 5.74% on BRWM versus 2.8% at BERI. I have loads of energy stocks. You know, that's seriously worth thinking about swapping my entire BERI holding for BRWM. Thanks again, I had never considered this at all.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 6th, 2022, 6:23 pm

BullDog wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

Well........ I just took a look and that's perhaps not a bad idea at all. The yield is showing at HL's website as 5.74% on BRWM versus 2.8% at BERI. I have loads of energy stocks. You know, that's seriously worth thinking about swapping my entire BERI holding for BRWM. Thanks again, I had never considered this at all.

If looking at BRWM and its current quoted yield, note that it has just paid the final dividend, a particularly large one of 27.0p ps and the next 3 quarters are therefore likely to be (back to) 5.5p. Though I'm not sure if the yield quoted (by HL for example) is forward or backward looking.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rdinary-5p

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 6th, 2022, 6:37 pm

richfool wrote:
BullDog wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

If looking at BRWM and its current quoted yield, note that it has just paid the final dividend, a particularly large one of 27.0p ps and the next 3 quarters are therefore likely to be (back to) 5.5p. Though I'm not sure if the yield quoted (by HL for example) is forward or backward looking.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rdinary-5p

Your point is very well taken. Three months ago in the annual report the company said "It has been an exceptional year for dividend receipts. The Company’s income is highly dependent on the dividends paid by the companies it invests in. It should not be assumed that the very high level of these dividends will continue this year or that the Company’s revenue return, and accordingly the Company’s total dividends, will be at the same level as last year. It remains the Board’s intention to seek to distribute substantially all of the Company’s available income in the future."

So, who knows? I assume the dividends reported at HL and Dividend Max are backwards looking.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 7th, 2022, 6:28 pm

BullDog wrote:I like JGGI but that's not really a big step up in yield.

Did the same exercise myself a few days back, and concluded that HINT looked more interesting than JGGI.

MDW1954

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 7th, 2022, 7:18 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
BullDog wrote:I like JGGI but that's not really a big step up in yield.

Did the same exercise myself a few days back, and concluded that HINT looked more interesting than JGGI.

MDW1954

Thanks. Will take a look.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » June 8th, 2022, 1:53 pm

Not as drastic as BRWM, but HINT has pushed up its dividend over the course of this year (apparently ongoing having saved an adequate income reserve over its 10 year history) but HL appears to be calculating the dividend on the 6.2 pence annual from last year. You are getting about 4% today.
Don't know about other data sources.
Own both HINT and BERI.

W.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 7th, 2022, 8:09 pm

https://www.investegate.co.uk/blackrock ... 5245P4C69/

"7 December 2022

The Board of BlackRock Energy and Resources Income Trust plc is pleased to announce that the fourth quarterly interim dividend in respect of the financial year ending 30 November 2022 of 1.10 pence per ordinary share has been declared by the Directors, payable on 13 January 2023 to holders of ordinary shares on the register at the close of business on 16 December 2022 (ex-dividend date is 15 December 2022). The last date for receipt of mandate instructions for those shareholders who wish to join the Dividend Reinvestment Plan is 23 December 2022."

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”