Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: BlackRock Energy And Resources Income Trust plc (BERI)

Postby Arborbridge » December 18th, 2020, 9:00 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I'd agree that TR is important as well as income. BERI was more or less fixed income but the TR when I sold (from buying in 2015) was -3.59%. During my five years, the TR was either quite negative or only slightly positive, i.e. +2-3%.

That's essentially why I gave up on BERI. BRWM was similar - a negative TR but the ownership was not so long.

I probably sold at the wrong point as usual, but I reckon taking 5 years to decide counts as evolution not revolution.

I would have sold too, Arb, on those numbers. Quite agree with you.

RVF

I always hesitate, however, because I am so well awre of the supermarket queue problem. I eventually lost patience, but would have done so much better holding on as it turns out. The price has increased by about 1.7 times!

There's no real lesson to learn: whatever one decides based on previous experience is as likely to be wrong as right.

Arb.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 18th, 2020, 10:13 am

PrefInvestor wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Since it's the IT board, I am allowed to say it's total return that counts. It's money, it's fully fungible and it matters not one jot whether it has an income label, or a capital label. It's exactly the same stuff and it doesn't really matter how you count it. The answer's the same.

RVF

Hi RVF, Yes I would totally agree with your comment about total return, and personally in most situations I like to see both income and growth potential in my investment choices. But on the specific topic of yield I see little point telling yourself that you have “locked in” a 6.4% yield when in reality you are actually getting just under 5% because of your capital gain. Your total return figure will of course include both income and growth components.

ATB

Pref

Pref, Perhaps I should not have used the word "yield", in my comment, and instead used the word, booked or secured a "return" of 6.4% on my £1 investment. Because that was the reality of it. I had put my £1 to work, and secured a dividend of 6.4% on that £1.
Accepted that later when that £1 became worth £1.20 then the return or yield on the £1.20 would be 5%. And yes, I am aware of and do take note of TR.

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » December 18th, 2020, 10:47 am

richfool wrote:Perhaps I should not have used the word "yield", in my comment, and instead used the word, booked or secured a "return" of 6.4% on my £1 investment. Because that was the reality of it. I had put my £1 to work, and secured a dividend of 6.4% on that £1.
Accepted that later when that £1 became worth £1.20 then the return or yield on the £1.20 would be 5%. And yes, I am aware of and do take note of TR.

Hi richfool, No offence meant by my comment. Buying BERI when you did was a good call so congratulations.

I don’t know why it is but Renewable and Energy Transition investments seem to come in only two flavours don’t they ?, Income but little Growth (the green energy trusts like FSFL, NESF, UKW, TRIG etc - now that everyone is sensitised to the huge premiums issue anyway) and Growth but little Income (INRG, USF, most of the single stocks that make or service renewable components). So BERI is the best compromise I’ve seen for a while, just hope it continues.....

ATB

Pref

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 18th, 2020, 12:35 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:
richfool wrote:Perhaps I should not have used the word "yield", in my comment, and instead used the word, booked or secured a "return" of 6.4% on my £1 investment. Because that was the reality of it. I had put my £1 to work, and secured a dividend of 6.4% on that £1.

Hi richfool, No offence meant by my comment. Buying BERI when you did was a good call so congratulations.

I don’t know why it is but Renewable and Energy Transition investments seem to come in only two flavours don’t they ?, Income but little Growth (the green energy trusts like FSFL, NESF, UKW, TRIG etc - now that everyone is sensitised to the huge premiums issue anyway) and Growth but little Income (INRG, USF, most of the single stocks that make or service renewable components). So BERI is the best compromise I’ve seen for a while, just hope it continues.....

ATB

Pref

Hi Pref, no issues or problems. I have been caught/challenged a few times before over using the word yield inappropriately.

Yes, I concur with your comments/assessment about there seeming to be only 2 flavours/types of investments in and around renewable energy. I am loathe to buy into the capital growth ones, such as INRG which I flirted with a while back, as they are already up some 30% in the last 6 - 9 months. And as you say the income producers offer little in the way of growth prospects. Though as you may be aware, I do already hold IEM, which falls into that growth and no income category.

Of the income producers, after selling both TRIG and JLEN, I did in fact buy back into TRIG after it fell due to the capital raising exercise, though a smaller holding.

I have also been flirting with, and taken a small position in, JGC (Jupiter Green Investment Trust), but it is a very small trust, with virtually no dividend (well less than 1%) and trading at a premium, albeit about 2.25%, though it does hold the type of stocks I was aiming at.

Getting back to BERI, I accept that BERI might be considered a somewhat obscure and quite limited way of gaining exposure to green energy, but to me I was happy to take the metals, miners and some traditional energy (and oil) exposure that went with it, not to mention the dividend yield. That was also partly because of the additional stimulus from central banks. For a similar reason, I more recently added CYN (CQS Natural Resources Growth & Income trust) which includes miners, resources, the odd energy stock, some rare minerals and lithium (for batteries).

Note, from the battery technology perspective, my holdings of SMT, Monks and USA include exposure to Tesla.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... -ord-gbp.1
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... income-25p

Regards

richfool

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » December 22nd, 2020, 10:09 pm

Well sorry everyone, now I’ve bought in it’s dropped like a brick. Should’ve known better than to buy after such a strong rise I suppose...... Oh well.

ATB

Pref

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 23rd, 2020, 9:39 am

PrefInvestor wrote:Well sorry everyone, now I’ve bought in it’s dropped like a brick. Should’ve known better than to buy after such a strong rise I suppose...... Oh well.

ATB

Pref

It's around 76.4p to buy at the moment, if you want a few more. Yield enhanced by the dropback.

I can't get near INRG. That just keeps going up and up!!

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 23rd, 2020, 9:57 am

PrefInvestor wrote:Well sorry everyone, now I’ve bought in it’s dropped like a brick. Should’ve known better than to buy after such a strong rise I suppose...... Oh well.

ATB

Pref

I did think of you when I saw the drop. Oh dear - don't be too disheartened, we've all been there and an IT will usually "come back". Keep yer pecker up!

Arb.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 23rd, 2020, 12:32 pm

Hello i have never bought an Investment Trust . I see that there is a Key Document to read first . If i bought shares in an Investment Trust do i have to pay an ongoing charge via my bank account while ever i hold them .Sorry if this is a daft question .

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 23rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

270160 wrote:Hello i have never bought an Investment Trust . I see that there is a Key Document to read first . If i bought shares in an Investment Trust do i have to pay an ongoing charge via my bank account while ever i hold them .Sorry if this is a daft question .

Not a daft question - very wise to check these things.

Any charges for operating the Investment Trust will come out of the company. You won't see the charges as a separate item unless you look at the company accounts, and they will not charge you anything through you bank account.

However, you may find there are charges from your broker if you have an ISA, SIP or dealing account - but that's nothing to do with the IT itself.

Hope that helps.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 23rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

Hello thank you so very much for your reply . I opened an IWEB Stocks and Shares ISA in November and have been thinking about investing in an Investment Trust and this one -BERI seems like it may be a good one for me , as i would be looking to hold for several years .

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 23rd, 2020, 1:21 pm

Hello again i forgot to ask , am i right in thinking that IWEB would not charge any ongoing fee if i did buy into an Investment Trust in my Stocks and Shares ISA ?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm

270160 wrote:Hello again i forgot to ask , am i right in thinking that IWEB would not charge any ongoing fee if i did buy into an Investment Trust in my Stocks and Shares ISA ?

IWeb don't charge any ongoing fees for anything at all in an ISA. So, yes. :D

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

Thank you both for your info . I like this website ++++++++

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » December 23rd, 2020, 2:18 pm

270160 wrote:Hello i have never bought an Investment Trust . I see that there is a Key Document to read first . If i bought shares in an Investment Trust do i have to pay an ongoing charge via my bank account while ever i hold them .Sorry if this is a daft question .

Hi 270160, There is a lot to know about investment trusts and I couldn’t possibly cover everything here, you need to go on the internet and do some reading.

But here are some edited highlights:-
- An investment trust (IT) is a collective instrument, often a portfolio of shares or other investment types, chosen according to some “theme”.
- The IT has a manager (sometimes more than one) who chooses the investments held by the IT.
- To learn more about the ITs theme, risks, issues and costs you need to read the Information Document (KID).
- In many other respects an IT has the same characteristics as a share. ITs trade like shares, have a bid/offer price and can be bought and sold during normal trading hours by your broker. Like shares, ITs can pay dividends, but don’t have to do so.
- Owning an IT does not involve you in any kind of regular charges of the sort that you mention in your post. Well not unless you deliberately enter a regular share investment scheme such as those often provided by brokers. They can however involve entry charges, exit charges, performance charges and transaction charges - but all of these should either rolled up in the price or be covered by the bid/offer spread. Details of these charges may be found in the KID document.

Hope that helps. But please DYOR to find out more.

ATB

Pref

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 23rd, 2020, 2:42 pm

270160 wrote:Hello again i forgot to ask , am i right in thinking that IWEB would not charge any ongoing fee if i did buy into an Investment Trust in my Stocks and Shares ISA ?

As mc2fool said, no ongoing fee - but there is their usual fee from iweb to buy the IT. Try to save up until you have enough cash in the account to make an "economic" purchase. Many people set this at a point where the purchase fee is 1% or less of the cost of the shares.

If you keep the IT shares for a long time, (measured in years, hopefully) that 1% can be considered really rather small.

Arb.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 23rd, 2020, 4:49 pm

No fees for holding IT's on X-O (Jarvis Investment Management).

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 23rd, 2020, 7:25 pm

Hello such a lot of useful information , thank you to all of you who have replied to my question .

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

Some other useful reading:

Monevator on income generation ITs. Figures are out of date but gives you a useful idea of what to look at:
https://monevator.com/compare-investmen ... nt-income/

IT Investor on long term performance of growth ITs:
https://www.itinvestor.co.uk/2020/06/20 ... -compared/

Investment trust handbook - Kindle version is free to download
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=investment ... b633wrnz_e

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » December 30th, 2020, 7:40 am

Was pleased to see a big bounce in the BERI share price yesterday 29/12 following its post dividend drop. Share price reached 84.x at one point, though this was almost certainly the offer price, but that was more than I paid. Fell back into the close along with many other stocks but a positive sign hopefully.

ATB

Pref

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 4th, 2021, 10:01 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
PrefInvestor wrote:Was pleased to see a big bounce in the BERI share price yesterday 29/12 following its post dividend drop. Share price reached 84.x at one point, though this was almost certainly the offer price, but that was more than I paid. Fell back into the close along with many other stocks but a positive sign hopefully.

ATB

Pref

Happy to see BERI drop back a bit, I have a purchase planned for January cash flow. No matter, it's an intended long term hold anyway.

RVF

Heck, something's put a rocket under this IT this morning.

RVF

I can live with that. Currently up c 3.3%. CYN is doing alright too. + 1.15% :)

I note things gold and green are doing well today.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”