Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Law Debenture ( LWDB)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Law Debenture ( LWDB)

Postby BullDog » December 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm

88V8 wrote:
monabri wrote:...representing a 5.8% increase over the prior year's third interim dividend.

We're going to need some of these nice increases. Shame the yield is currently so low, but happy to have got in when it wasn't.

Other ITs with long records maintained by running down reserves and consequently offering minimal increases, look less attractive now.

V8

There's always mixed feelings about the professional services business at Law Deb. But I think it is a definite strength to the overall business. I got in too at around 500 and 550p. One for the bottom drawer.

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Re: Law Debenture (LWDB)

Postby forrado » December 18th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Law Debenture is a trust I’ve got on my watchlist, and that’s where it’s going to stay given current valuations. My reading of the chart below makes the share price too overpriced for my taste. As the saying goes, “Price is what you pay, value is what you get, no matter if shopping for stocks or socks.”

When it comes to ITs the way I like to set up a chart is with a Bollinger Band showing one standard deviation either side of a central 130-day Simple Moving Average (equal to 26 weeks).

As one can see, the current LWDB share price is comfortably above one standard deviation, and has been for the past 12 months. Also noticeable is a widening of the upper and lower deviation bands, an indicator of an increase taking place in volatility. While others might well take a different view, my value driven instincts tell me to maintain a watching brief.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 18th, 2021, 11:10 pm

forrado wrote:Law Debenture is a trust I’ve got on my watchlist, and that’s where it’s going to stay given current valuations. My reading of the chart below makes the share price too overpriced for my taste. As the saying goes, “Price is what you pay, value is what you get, no matter if shopping for stocks or socks.”

When it comes to ITs the way I like to set up a chart is with a Bollinger Band showing one standard deviation either side of a central 130-day Simple Moving Average (equal to 26 weeks).

As one can see, the current LWDB share price is comfortably above one standard deviation, and has been for the past 12 months. Also noticeable is a widening of the upper and lower deviation bands, an indicator of an increase taking place in volatility. While others might well take a different view, my value driven instincts tell me to maintain a watching brief.

You missed your chance, looking at those bands. What stopped you?

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 18th, 2021, 11:24 pm

forrado wrote:Law Debenture is a trust I’ve got on my watchlist, and that’s where it’s going to stay given current valuations. My reading of the chart below makes the share price too overpriced for my taste. As the saying goes, “Price is what you pay, value is what you get, no matter if shopping for stocks or socks.”

Now if you care to translate that into English we might all have a chance of commenting on it. What in Heaven's name is a Boillinger Band? It sounds rather tasty. Very entertaining.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 19th, 2021, 9:01 am

Dod101 wrote:Now if you care to translate that into English we might all have a chance of commenting on it. What in Heaven's name is a Boillinger Band? It sounds rather tasty. Very entertaining.

Dod

Goes with a Boil Inna Bag meal, of course!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 19th, 2021, 10:35 am

Dod101 wrote:What in Heaven's name is a Bollinger Band?

I believe it's the red band around the collar of the bottle that carries the brand shield... :D

https://www.champagne-bollinger.com/en/GB/the-bollinger-collection/vintage/5

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 19th, 2021, 12:41 pm

Dod101 wrote:Now if you care to translate that into English we might all have a chance of commenting on it. What in Heaven's name is a Boillinger Band? It sounds rather tasty. Very entertaining.

Dod... really, I thought everyone knew that... except me... ;)
But it says here A Bollinger Band® is a technical analysis tool defined by a set of trendlines plotted two standard deviations (positively and negatively) away from a simple moving average (SMA) of a security's price, but which can be adjusted to user preferences.
Bollinger Bands® were developed and copyrighted by famous technical trader John Bollinger, designed to discover opportunities that give investors a higher probability of properly identifying when an asset is oversold or overbought.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bollingerbands.asp

If it works, presumably permits the purchase of more Bolly.

V8

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 19th, 2021, 3:30 pm

88V8 wrote:

Dod... really, I thought everyone knew that... except me... ;)
But it says here A Bollinger Band® is a technical analysis tool defined by a set of trendlines plotted two standard deviations (positively and negatively) away from a simple moving average (SMA) of a security's price, but which can be adjusted to user preferences.
Bollinger Bands® were developed and copyrighted by famous technical trader John Bollinger, designed to discover opportunities that give investors a higher probability of properly identifying when an asset is oversold or overbought.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bollingerbands.asp

If it works, presumably permits the purchase of more Bolly.

V8

Thanks V8. When I asked my question it was a bit late and I did not attempt to find out what it referred to. Not very much wiser but I think I get the general idea from your definition. I am not a technical trader nor a very technical anything else.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 19th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Time to acquire some shares in Centrica....?

source : https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page

:twisted:

For the avoidance of doubt - I'm joking!!

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » December 20th, 2021, 9:03 am

Arborbridge wrote:You missed your chance, looking at those bands. What stopped you?

I did buy, now on the lookout to buy more.
88V8 wrote:Dod... really, I thought everyone knew that... except me...

Thank you for providing that linked explanation from Investopedia. As a prolific, while others might say compulsive, Lemon Fool contributor with 10,000 postings to his credit to-date, like you I would have also thought Dod would at least have had some vague notion as to what Bollinger Bands do, obviously he didn't. As it appears you went to the trouble of doing an internet search and posting a sourced description, I can't see why Dod could not have done likewise and spared his fellow Fools yet another of his posts.

Personally, I don't use Bollinger Bands as a trading tool, as described by Investopedia, simply because I don't trade. I use the tool to help me identify quoted securities (such as ITs or ETFs) I'm interested in as to them being either overbought or oversold.

OldPlodder

Postby OldPlodder » December 20th, 2021, 9:32 am

forrado wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:You missed your chance, looking at those bands. What stopped you?

Thank you for providing that linked explanation from Investopedia. As a prolific, while others might say compulsive, Lemon Fool contributor with 10,000 postings to his credit to-date, like you I would have also thought Dod would at least have had some vague notion as to what Bollinger Bands do, obviously he didn't. As it appears you went to the trouble of doing an internet search and posting a sourced description, I can't see why Dod could not have done likewise and spared his fellow Fools yet another of his posts.

Personally, I don't use Bollinger Bands as a trading tool, as described by Investopedia, simply because I don't trade. I use the tool to help me identify quoted securities (such as ITs or ETFs) I'm interested in as to them being either overbought or oversold.

Agree with you totally , Dod has plenty of time, like many of us, to do a bit of dead easy internet research, and as he is a very long time serious investor, I cannot believe he had never heard of Bolli. bands anyway. I am always surprised that he cannot even be bothered to lookup the odd share code/EPIC (which he so often complains about), which takes seconds (way quicker than complaining in the first place) , say on the HL front end, for example, among a myriad of easy sources.

HOWEVER, without his complaint, we would not have had the benefit of the delightful bit of humour by mc2fool.

Plodder

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 20th, 2021, 9:41 am

forrado wrote:As it appears you went to the trouble of doing an internet search and posting a sourced description, I can't see why Dod could not have done likewise and spared his fellow Fools yet another of his posts.

Of come on: give the guy some slack. He did explain that it was late and so he was posting without background research which he might have done earlier in the day. It seems a familiar scenario to me and no doubt others: we might scribble something off in a hurry, only to think in greater depth later (sometimes to our embarassment, too)

Anywhow, as regards Bollinger Bands, like all these trading methods, they can yield slight advantages when used by those who believe in them. I'd prefer point and figure (look that one up Dod ;) ) but I gave up on the sort of habit a while back when I found it was much effort with only a small reward. Cup and handle formations anyone? or Head and Shoulders?

In the case of ITs, I'd expect just buying tranches in the dips works as well as anything: but then there are usually too many dipping at the same time!

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm

forrado wrote:

I accepted forrado's criticism before he commented. See my response above. being a prolific or otherwise poster does not mean that one needs to have or implies that one is interested in or knows much about technical investing. I am much more of an instinctive investor or rely more on 'softer' issues.

I apologise for my prolific or compulsive contributions. That is simply a sign of too much time on my hands and living alone these days. I will try to curb my enthusiasm.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 20th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:I apologise for my prolific or compulsive contributions. That is simply a sign of too much time on my hands and living alone these days. I will try to curb my enthusiasm.

Dod

Why should you? Carry on as normal I would say!

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 20th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I apologise for my prolific or compulsive contributions. That is simply a sign of too much time on my hands and living alone these days. I will try to curb my enthusiasm.

Dod

Please don't, but carry on in your normal way.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 20th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Please don't, but carry on in your normal way.

Well I thought I would be polite as is my wont and I see the urge to comment on everything in one or two others and it is not always very helpful I must say.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2021, 4:55 pm

forrado wrote: As a prolific, while others might say compulsive, Lemon Fool contributor with 10,000 postings to his credit to-date, like you I would have also thought Dod would at least have had some vague notion as to what Bollinger Bands do, obviously he didn't.

Criticising someone for being an active and enthusiastic member of the community seems, well, not very community minded.

If you look at the site stats a little closer you will see that Dod is the second most "thanked" Lemon - an indication that he produces quality and not just quantity. Given that the most thanked Lemon no longer contributes, that makes Dod the most appreciated of all active Lemons.

So clearly Dod has helped many others, so why not help him when he asks a question?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 20th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Lootman wrote:
forrado wrote: As a prolific, while others might say compulsive, Lemon Fool contributor with 10,000 postings to his credit to-date, like you I would have also thought Dod would at least have had some vague notion as to what Bollinger Bands do, obviously he didn't.

Criticising someone for being an active and enthusiastic member of the community seems, well, not very community minded.

If you look at the site stats a little closer you will see that Dod is the second most "thanked" Lemon - an indication that he produces quality and not just quantity. Given that the most thanked Lemon no longer contributes, that makes Dod the most appreciated of all active Lemons.

So clearly Dod has helped many others, so why not help him when he asks a question?

Wow! I did not realise that. I must polish my halo. Anyway thanks for that Lootman

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 4th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Very satisfying to see what I believe is an all time high here of 818p per share. Had a few months in the doldrums but has come back very nicely. My best acquisition in the last year or two.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 4th, 2022, 10:24 pm

BullDog wrote:Very satisfying to see what I believe is an all time high here of 818p per share. Had a few months in the doldrums but has come back very nicely. My best acquisition in the last year or two.

Thanks. A bit of a shame that as I was thinking of swapping my holding in Alliance for Law Debenture. For all its superstructure in terms of its managers and stockpickers its results are no more than reasonable since the change was made. As I read somewhere, that is probably because the stockpickers cannot afford to go very far out on a limb since if it goes wrong they will be chopped by Willis Towers Watson. Mind you, every dog has its day. (I am not suggesting that Law Debenture is a dog)

Dod

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”