Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Private Equity Upside

Closed-end funds and OEICs
JohnW
Lemon Slice

Re: Private Equity Upside

Postby JohnW » November 1st, 2022, 12:31 pm

A good time to play for a bounce...

Thanks, buy now. Then you need to tell us when to sell if we’re to realise any profit; and at that time, what to do with the cash. Looking forward.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 1st, 2022, 12:48 pm

88V8 wrote:
SKYSHIP wrote:...anomalously high NAV discounts:

Haven't looked into these specifically, but in general what do you think about the NAVs, given they often hold a good deal of unlisted stuff?

V8

DNE is reassuring, as its NAV continues to rise in a real-world situation of winding down and achieving its carrying values.

Talking of PE, I wonder which (if any) of our funds now own a stake in that prospective car battery manufacturing plant that was in the news yesterday? If it was any of mine, I hope they drove a hard bargain!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 1st, 2022, 12:51 pm

JohnW wrote:

Thanks, buy now. Then you need to tell us when to sell if we’re to realise any profit; and at that time, what to do with the cash. Looking forward.

Or buy now from among those that pays good dividends, and enjoy the income without worrying about selling. The two I've held for a longish time (DNE and PEY) have both rewarded me richly over the years.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 2nd, 2022, 4:44 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Or buy now from among those that pays good dividends, and enjoy the income without worrying about selling. The two I've held for a longish time (DNE and PEY) have both rewarded me richly over the years.

Seems I was tempting fate there: https://www.investegate.co.uk/article.a ... 700079941E

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » May 17th, 2023, 4:11 pm

interesting programme on Radio 4 recently on Private Equity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lywk

You can think of it in 2 ways: turning around conservative companies into more profitable ones.....or.....asset stripping them and selling out.

Most PE acquisitions rely on a good slug of cheap borrowing, and that is why the sector is out of favour and the IT's are on large discounts - i.e. high interest rates.

Maybe when interest rates peak and start to fall the sector will come back into favour.

Worth a listen before you invest!

FD

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”