Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Spot the dog

Closed-end funds and OEICs
NotSure
Lemon Slice

Spot the dog

Postby NotSure » August 12th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Latest Bestinvest ‘Spot the Dog’ Report reveals more horrible hounds sent to the doghouse for poor investor returns as investors urged to check their portfolios

https://ifamagazine.com/latest-bestinvest-spot-the-dog-report-reveals-more-horrible-hounds-sent-to-the-doghouse-for-poor-investor-returns-as-investors-urged-to-check-their-portfolios/

I guess it has been tough for funds of late - big growth in global/US indices (benchmarks) but driven by just a handful of stocks that are well represented in trackers. No/underweight US mega caps basically tends to mean very poor (relative) performance recently.

St. James Place comes out of it particularly badly. Bit ironic, as it looks like it's one of the most expensive. Even its non global/US did badly (relative to benchmarks)

...Which fund groups earned the most dog tags?

St. James’s Place not only topped the Great Danes list [big dogs], but it was also the worst performing fund manager, with its paw prints on six measly mutts. It currently has £29.3bn across these six funds, that is 63% of the total dog fund assets in this survey. To put this in perspective, the next highest fund group Artemis holds £2.66bn dog funds, which accounts for 5.8% of the overall assets on the list.

While three of six St. James’s Place funds are in the Global sector – Global Quality, Global Growth and International Equity – its poor performing Growth European Progress and Continental European funds appear in the European sector while it also features in the Emerging Markets sector with its Global Emerging Markets funds......

(edited for typos)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Spot the dog

Postby Alaric » August 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm

NotSure wrote:St. James Place comes out of it particularly badly. Bit ironic, as it looks like it's one of the most expensive. Even its non global/US did badly (relative to benchmarks)

There is always a possible correlation between poor performance and high charges.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 12th, 2023, 2:24 pm

I remember picking funds based on a list of all funds with a position for each of the past 10 years.

I tended to look for consistency, say in top 5 for most years rather than the current top.

I can't remember where they came from. I think it was from Hargreaves Landsdown. I found it quite useful at the time and maybe they still do it.

It helped prevent picking dogs. Although it's different to Dogs of the FTSE which had some merit a while back I believe.

There was also the whitelist which came out every 6 months which I haven't seen for a while. Was it Sanlam of something similar.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 12th, 2023, 2:59 pm

Gerry557 wrote:I remember picking funds based on a list of all funds with a position for each of the past 10 years.

I tended to look for consistency, say in top 5 for most years rather than the current top.

I can't remember where they came from. I think it was from Hargreaves Landsdown. I found it quite useful at the time and maybe they still do it.

It helped prevent picking dogs. Although it's different to Dogs of the FTSE which had some merit a while back I believe.

There was also the whitelist which came out every 6 months which I haven't seen for a while. Was it Sanlam of something similar.

Yes it went through a number of name changes. Sanlam was the last one I'm aware of. It was worth reading until I lost interest in UK income OEICs and unit trusts.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 12th, 2023, 6:41 pm

I'm disappointed that the spot the dogs doesn't cover Investment Trusts - since a quick look at the AIC Global Growth list suggests that a number of them could provide company for the Global fund dogs. (I had a look at the 3 and 5 year total returns on the AIC Global Growth ITs, and compared them with the 3 and 5 year total returns on the St James Global Dogs)

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”