Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Aberdeen Rebranding

Closed-end funds and OEICs
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Aberdeen Rebranding

Postby scrumpyjack » May 2nd, 2021, 8:08 am

of course the new name is an anagram of brand. Wonder if that is how it occurred to them

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 2nd, 2021, 2:32 pm

Maybe they are planning ahead in case Scotland does gain independence and they the decide to move South of the Border. Then the association with Aberdeen can quietly be parked and "Abrdn" just means "Abrdn" ;)

tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Postby tractorian » May 2nd, 2021, 2:44 pm

"Irritable vowel syndrome," mentioned in the latest AIC Review.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 2nd, 2021, 3:53 pm

Alan1701 wrote:Reminds me of "Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust" rebranding to "F&C Investment Trust".
What does the "F" and the "C" stand for, I wonder...

It seems to be particularly the investment trusts domiciled in Scotland that have a penchant for very dated names. Perhaps the most striking example is Scottish Mortgage, which has a racy portfolio of disruptive companies, but you would never know it from its dowdy and frumpy name, which makes it sound like it is for widows and orphans.

Foreign and Colonial sounds very political incorrect by contemporary standards, and particularly if you want to market it in the US where they obsess about these things. I think their products go by BMO there.

Other ITs just have very boring names like "Scottish Investment" which hardly draw anyone in by name alone. I wonder whether the entire Scottish investment management business needs to re-brand itself, although I can't say this effort by Aberdeen has much to commend it.

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » May 2nd, 2021, 5:22 pm

Lootman wrote:Foreign and Colonial sounds very political incorrect by contemporary standards, and particularly if you want to market it in the US where they obsess about these things. I think their products go by BMO there.

BMO recently announced it's selling its European asset management business, including F&C Investment Trust, to Ameriprise, aka Columbia Threadneedle: https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-advise ... y/a1493775 . My guess is they'll keep the "F&C" brand name for that IT.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 2nd, 2021, 9:23 pm

EthicsGradient wrote:
Lootman wrote:Foreign and Colonial sounds very political incorrect by contemporary standards, and particularly if you want to market it in the US where they obsess about these things. I think their products go by BMO there.

BMO recently announced it's selling its European asset management business, including F&C Investment Trust, to Ameriprise, aka Columbia Threadneedle: https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-advise ... y/a1493775 . My guess is they'll keep the "F&C" brand name for that IT.

Fruit&Chocolate. Get the kids investing their junior ISAs.

Another Bloomin' Rotten D*** Name.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”