Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

HFEL

Closed-end funds and OEICs
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: HFEL

Postby daveh » April 28th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Half year Report can be found here:
https://www.investegate.co.uk/henderson ... 34265799J/

CHAIRMAN'S STATEMENT

Performance

Performance for the six months to 28 February 2022 was mixed, with NAV total return performance negative 0.1%, which was markedly better than the FTSE World Asia Pacific ex Japan Index of negative 6.3%, but behind the MSCI AC Asia Pacific ex Japan High Dividend Yield Index of 3.1%. This reflected the rotation from growth to value, alongside the portfolio's increased allocation to the financials, materials and energy sectors. The underperformance against the high yield index was predominantly down to the oversized weighting of BHP following the consolidation of the UK stock line into the Australian listing.

Dividends

The first and second interim dividends for the current financial year have been declared in the amount of 5.90p per ordinary share each. This represents a 1.7% increase on the dividends paid or payable for the same period last year. The period saw the Company's dividend yield finish at 8.2%.

Outlook

Investors always face challenges, but it is even more difficult to remain focused when in the midst of a humanitarian crisis. Volatility is high and likely to remain so. The consequences of the war in Ukraine are largely unknowable. These shocking events tend to draw attention away from personal considerations in sympathy for those in severe distress.

We cannot ignore, however, the risks and opportunities we are now exposed to. This crisis coming so close to the pandemic is a further serious blow to global growth. The OECD recently noted 'The moves in commodity prices and financial markets seen since the outbreak of the war could, if sustained, reduce global GDP growth by over 1 percentage point in the first year, with a deep recession in Russia, and push up global consumer price inflation by approximately 2.5 percentage points'*.

The impact of these developments will be felt unevenly throughout the world. Weak global growth is a negative for exporting countries, significantly higher commodity prices a negative for importers, and lower disposable incomes and uncertainties negative for consumption levels and tourism. Rising rates of inflation will be a problem for everybody.

We are investors in the Asia Pacific region and what does it mean for us? The role of Russia and Ukraine in the global economy is small accounting for only about 2% of global GDP. However, they are major suppliers of commodities to the world and supply disruption will cause some severe problems. Russia and Ukraine together account for about 30% of global exports of wheat, 20% for corn, mineral fertilisers and natural gas and 11% for oil. Indonesia and the Philippines are dependent on wheat imports and Vietnam is dependent on corn. The impact on the Middle East will be severe as well. Farmers everywhere will be impacted by much higher fertilizer prices and supply disruption.

A bleak picture indeed. However, there are some bright spots. China adopted more restrictive monetary and fiscal policies in late 2020 but is now easing policies and while credit growth has been falling it now appears to be bottoming out. This will support growth in China and should have a cushioning effect on the region and on the rest of the world. China provided significant support to the global economy during the 2008 financial crisis and played an important part in helping to avoid a global depression. It seems it could play a similar role today, although the recent lockdowns following Covid-19 outbreaks may delay this.

The outlook for us is quite encouraging. We have a large number of companies in a diverse geographical setting to choose from. To achieve our dividend objective, we invest largely in value shares paying significant levels of dividend; this has been something of a negative for our NAV total return performance in the past two years as investor preferences largely concentrated on growth shares with low dividend payouts. In a rising inflation environment value and income become much more to the fore in meeting investor needs. Our concentration on value is now working in our favour. Since the beginning of the 2022 calendar year, the NAV total return has risen to 4.9% and the dividend income generated by the portfolio has risen 14.7% compared to the same period last year.

As noted by the Fund Managers, we have significant holdings in industrial metals and energy. Prices of copper, aluminum, nickel, steel and others have risen sharply on the back of strong demand and constrained supply. Demand levels reflect increased global fiscal stimulus via infrastructure spending and long-term structural growth from the transition to a low carbon world. An example of this was demonstrated by a recent report from Blackrock World Mining. The report compared the resources to build a 100MW natural gas fired turbine with a wind farm equivalent. Twenty wind turbines would need to be installed requiring 100 times more iron ore, 25 times more concrete and 10 times more specialty metals including copper. This is a measure of the challenge confronting the world and the strength of demand for industrial metals.

The supply of industrial metals has been constrained by significant underinvestment in recent years. Short supply and high demand will support rising prices for some time and mining companies are experiencing high levels of free cash flow which they are paying back to shareholders in the form of higher dividends and/or share buy backs. This is welcome news to us.

In summary, we are in an environment that supports our investment strategy of producing attractive levels of income for our shareholders with an enhanced prospect of sound capital performance. The recent shift towards more value oriented investments should be a positive factor in portfolio returns as we look ahead to the balance of our financial year.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 28th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Last year around this time (May 2021) there were many discussions on HFEL, chiefly based on its 5 year returns, but although it was definitely not a high flier, it obviously satisfied a lot of income seekers, since it seemed to be keeping its price above the water line while providing high dividends (part of which come from financial devices).
Looking at it again, the 5-year numbers are not attractive - since much of last year's 5 year return was based on year May 2016-2017 (about 35%), and there has been little joy since.

The current statistics for Henderson Far East Income (HFEL) are (approx):-
5 year total return = 15%
5 year price = minus 17%
annual dividend = 7.9%
premium 1%
The (artificially?) high dividend is accompanied by a loss of capital.

And looking at a reasonable? comparator , we have the 5 year statistics for Schroder Oriental Income (SOI)
5 year total return = 32%
5 year price = 9.2%
annual dividend = 4%
discount 5.5%
OK - the SOI dividend is lower, but it has maintained its capital, and has a total return double that of HFEL - and it is sitting at a discount of 5.5%.

Wandering slightly off topic, I confess that I'm not an income investor, so my ITs in the Far East are primarily growth based - JP Morgan Asia Growth and income (JAGI), and Schroder Asia Pacific (SDP). Both have seen very substantial losses in the current calendar year, but have still returned a 5 year total return of around 44%. Definitely not investments for those seeking a quiet life. :)

Edit - statistics from Hargreaves Lansdown

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 28th, 2022, 5:01 pm

scotia wrote:
The current statistics for Henderson Far East Income (HFEL) are (approx):-
5 year total return = 15%

The (artificially?) high dividend is accompanied by a loss of capital.

And looking at a reasonable? comparator , we have the 5 year statistics for Schroder Oriental Income (SOI)
5 year total return = 32%

Things started to go awry at the end of 2020. Until then, there wasn't an appreciable difference in total return.

Source: https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discoun ... ion/charts

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 28th, 2022, 5:03 pm

I am glad that as reported at the time I sold HFEL in September 2021 and bought Schroder Oriental Income to replace it. So far it seems to have been a good idea.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 28th, 2022, 5:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am glad that as reported at the time I sold HFEL in September 2021 and bought Schroder Oriental Income to replace it. So far it seems to have been a good idea.

Dod

Food for thought... investing in Vanguard's all World tracker ( VWRL) would have been a better choice in terms of TR.

Source : as previous post

As for HFEL v SOI over the last year...not a lot in it!

I can compare the two from November 21 ( 6 m window - Hargreaves comparator)

I'd keep an open mind on judging whether it was a good move but I've you personally are happy then so be it.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 28th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Ironic that I should be defending HFEL, as I avoided it in the past because of its poor capital performance, but ultimately it's the future performance that really matters.

I bought into HFEL late last year, because of the dividend yield and because of its holdings and positioning. It holds infrastructure, technology (Samsung and TSMC - semiconductors), miners and energy, as well as a holding in VOF (Vietnam Opportunities trust), all of which I like. And as said, despite its past performance, it's the future performance that really matters. These links show its more recent performance (NAV and SP).

https://citywire.co.uk/funds_insider/in ... Period:12;

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... td-ord-npv

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » April 28th, 2022, 7:13 pm

scotia wrote:The (artificially?) high dividend is accompanied by a loss of capital.

Of course it is. Where do you think dividends come from?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 28th, 2022, 7:19 pm

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am glad that as reported at the time I sold HFEL in September 2021 and bought Schroder Oriental Income to replace it. So far it seems to have been a good idea.

Dod

Food for thought... investing in Vanguard's all World tracker ( VWRL) would have been a better choice in terms of TR.

As for HFEL v SOI over the last year...not a lot in it!

I can compare the two from November 21 ( 6 m window - Hargreaves comparator)

I'd keep an open mind on judging whether it was a good move but I've you personally are happy then so be it.

Once again you have done great on these charts, thanks. As you will probably know, I am not a HYPer but I am mostly an income investor so I think that SOI is a reasonable choice.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 28th, 2022, 7:22 pm

richfool wrote:Ironic that I should be defending HFEL, as I avoided it in the past because of its poor capital performance, but ultimately it's the future performance that really matters.

I bought into HFEL late last year, because of the dividend yield and because of its holdings and positioning. It holds infrastructure, technology (Samsung and TSMC - semiconductors), miners and energy, as well as a holding in VOF (Vietnam Opportunities trust), all of which I like. And as said, despite its past performance, it's the future performance that really matters. These links show its more recent performance (NAV and SP).

Future performance is all that matters. That much I do know, but what I do not know is what the future holds and we can only go on past performance. It is of course usually the case that after a longish period of underperformance, things one way or another improve. We'll see.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 28th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Dod101 wrote:
richfool wrote:Ironic that I should be defending HFEL, as I avoided it in the past because of its poor capital performance, but ultimately it's the future performance that really matters.

Future performance is all that matters. That much I do know, but what I do not know is what the future holds and we can only go on past performance. It is of course usually the case that after a longish period of underperformance, things one way or another improve. We'll see.

Dod

The performance tables I linked to (above), do in fact show that HFEL has done better than its peers over the most recent periods, 1 and 3 months (in terms of NAV and SP), which seems to confirm that the manager has been/is getting it right recently/currently, and gives me (some) optimism for the near future.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 28th, 2022, 8:12 pm

richfool wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

The performance tables I linked to (above), do in fact show that HFEL has done better than its peers over the most recent periods, 1 and 3 months (in terms of NAV and SP), which seems to confirm that the manager has been/is getting it right recently/currently, and gives me (some) optimism for the near future.

What I also find interesting is that China is now 4th in size of asset allocation. With Hong Kong 5th place. Australia is now the biggest area for asset allocation in HFEL. I don't keep a close watch on this, but I finding interesting nonetheless.

Meanwhile, my diversification of buying into JAGI has been absolutely awful.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 28th, 2022, 9:14 pm

I significantly reduced by holding of JAGI last year, when growth/tech stocks started falling and question marks arose over China and Chinese stocks. So currently it's my smallest holding in the sector.

My largest holding in the Asian Income sector is AAIF, which seems to be a more cautious animal, with a good dividend, current yield c4.6% (Disc to NAV -11%).

Incidentally, HFEL went ex dividend today (28/4/22). Div 5.90p per share. Pays: 27/5/22.

shawsdale
Lemon Pip

Postby shawsdale » May 2nd, 2022, 1:10 pm

Although not exactly in this area, the imminent (and regrettable) demise of JEFI (Jupiter Emerging and Frontier Income trust) is drawing me to examine where else to go for emerging market income with an East Asian/EM flavour once I receive the proceeds.

I've noted the very recent upturn in HFEL but its long-term capital performance is a concern.
I see from the recent HFEL interims that a portion of the revenue (about 2p per share in FY to Aug 2021) comes from option writing which may also partly constrain capital growth.

Open-ended funds and ETFs seem to be overlooked in many of the postings on this site, but a couple that have caught my eye are below (1 year and 3 year capital only performance to 29/04/2022 in brackets):

- Jupiter Asian Income, run by Jason Pidcock, formerly of Newton Asian Income (+3.4% over 1 year; +16.8% over 3 years)
- WisdomTree Emerging Markets Small Cap Dividend, DGSE, (+3.5% over 1 year; +10.5% over 3 years).

Of course these two only pay out about half of HFEL's dividend and lack the revenue reserve capability.

The wide variation in allocation to different geographies - Jupiter 1.5% to China, HFEL 13.6%, DGSE 7.3% - shows how important close analysis of underlying holdings is, particularly in the Asian and emerging market sectors.

As ever, further thoughts would be welcome.

monabri
Lemon Half

HFEL dividend

Postby monabri » October 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm

https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData. ... L&tab=news

"The directors have declared the fourth interim dividend of 6.00p (six point zero pence) per ordinary share in respect of the year ending 31 August 2022. The dividend will be paid on 25 November 2022 to shareholders on the register on 28 October 2022 (the record date). The shares will be quoted ex-dividend on 27 October 2022."

A bit more of our money paid back.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: HFEL dividend

Postby scotia » October 19th, 2022, 2:02 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData.aspx?code=HFEL&tab=news

"The directors have declared the fourth interim dividend of 6.00p (six point zero pence) per ordinary share in respect of the year ending 31 August 2022. The dividend will be paid on 25 November 2022 to shareholders on the register on 28 October 2022 (the record date). The shares will be quoted ex-dividend on 27 October 2022."

Updating my 5-year total return figures as previously listed on 28th April, HFEL is now under water

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: HFEL dividend

Postby Gerry557 » October 19th, 2022, 2:08 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData.aspx?code=HFEL&tab=news

Well it's always nice to see an increase in the dividend but I suspect even with the dividends I'll be underwater currently with this investment. Still I suppose its nice to have some cash back even if it just get put back by buying even more shares.

At this rate the shares might be negative by the time I get back to break even.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 19th, 2022, 6:42 pm

This used to be a standout amongst my ITs, being in loss. Not any more, although that does not make me feel much better about it.
I suppose eventually things will recover.
Humph.

V8

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » October 30th, 2022, 4:22 pm

Despite my reservations on this fund 240p is just too cheap so I ended up buying more this week...

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 30th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Very happy to no longer be invested here. Took a small capital loss, broke even accounting for dividends. Glad I sold it.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » October 30th, 2022, 5:19 pm

BullDog wrote:Very happy to no longer be invested here. Took a small capital loss, broke even accounting for dividends. Glad I sold it.

.. and what did you do with the proceeds, and how has it done in comparison since?

I notice that a lot of the high-flying trusts being bandied around several pages back have done just as abysmally since..

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”