Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

For income

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Matchless

For income

Postby Matchless » June 1st, 2021, 7:51 pm

What are the best none Scottish based investment trusts for income over the next say 5 years.

jonesa1
Lemon Slice

Re: For income

Postby jonesa1 » June 1st, 2021, 8:46 pm

That all depends on how you define best (highest yield, biggest increase in yield, highest total return, lowest capital volatility, current exposure, how it generates income, etc, or some combination of factors) and how well your crystal ball is working.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » June 1st, 2021, 9:24 pm

As a starting point, Itsallaguess posts a monthly list of the highest yielding investment trusts in each sector:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29685

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2021, 9:41 pm

And what has Scottish or non Scottish got to do with it?

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 1st, 2021, 10:31 pm

Matchless wrote:What are the best none Scottish based investment trusts for income over the next say 5 years.

If you want certainty, choose from the Dividend heroes https://www.theaic.co.uk/income-finder/dividend-heroes

Some of them have low yield, you'll want to sieve them for your desired yield level.

All these companies have many years of unbroken record which they will defend to the last drop of their executive bonuses.
Amongst them I hold CTY, JCH, MRCH, ASEI, ATY (high charges), MUT, NCYF, HFEL, LWDB. All have good/adequate yields.
I don't expect much in the way of divi increases, but I confidently predict that there will be no drops.

As to non-Scottish, don't worry..... if the Nationalist crackpots look like winning, the Finance sector will leave Scotland like maggots leaving a corpse.

V8

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2021, 11:22 pm

88V8 wrote:
Matchless wrote:What are the best none Scottish based investment trusts for income over the next say 5 years.

If you want certainty, choose from the Dividend heroes https://www.theaic.co.uk/income-finder/dividend-heroes

Some of them have low yield, you'll want to sieve them for your desired yield level.

All these companies have many years of unbroken record which they will defend to the last drop of their executive bonuses.
Amongst them I hold CTY, JCH, MRCH, ASEI, ATY (high charges), MUT, NCYF, HFEL, LWDB. All have good/adequate yields.
I don't expect much in the way of divi increases, but I confidently predict that there will be no drops.

As to non-Scottish, don't worry..... if the Nationalist crackpots look like winning, the Finance sector will leave Scotland like maggots leaving a corpse.

V8

I do not recognise many of these EPICS but the fact is that any investor ought I think to be cautious about going for an income IT based solely on yield. As I have said about say Imperial Brands, it can be dearly bought income if the capital value does not increase and in some cases is gained at the expense of capital, such as from a number of ITs at the moment.

As for Scottish v otherwise, whilst I am not in the least a Scottish independence supporter, if independence came, I doubt very much that the Finance sector would leave Scotland like maggots or like anything else leaving a corpse. I would expect much of the finance sector to remain, like most other businesses, in Scotland.

Dod

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » June 2nd, 2021, 10:46 am

Do maggots leave a corpse?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:22 pm

everhopeful wrote:Do maggots leave a corpse?

Good question. The attempt at colourful language by V8 did not quite come off I think.

Dod

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:58 pm

everhopeful wrote:Do maggots leave a corpse?

I thought that. Surely they stick around and feed. Maybe it would be better to say maggots leaving an apple to move into a corpse. Or rats leaving a sinking corpse.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 2nd, 2021, 3:55 pm

88V8 wrote:All these companies have many years of unbroken record which they will defend to the last drop of their executive bonuses.

On a total return basis over 5 years, only one of these , namely LWDB, approached the return of an ETF world tracker - VWRL.
You seem to have paid a high price for "income".

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 2nd, 2021, 7:10 pm

scotia wrote:
88V8 wrote:All these companies have many years of unbroken record which they will defend to the last drop of their executive bonuses.

On a total return basis over 5 years, only one of these , namely LWDB, approached the return of an ETF world tracker - VWRL.
You seem to have paid a high price for "income".

I dare say you're right, over the past five years. but I presume the OP is looking for a reliable income and doesn't want to fiddle about with TR.
As am I.

Maggots leave a corpse by flying away when it becomes unhospitable to them
Maggots are gregarious animals and travel around in 'maggot masses'.
[url][url]https://australian.museum/learn/science/decomposition-fly-life-cycles/[/url][/url]
Not such a bad analogy, really.

V8

Matchless

Postby Matchless » June 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am

What I’m trying to fix on is say 6 none Scottish based ITs that embrace the major markets with minimal risk and duplication paying a 4-5% dividend - I start with CTY and but then it becomes more difficult perhaps what I’m looking for doesn’t exist at the moment.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 3rd, 2021, 10:18 am

Matchless wrote:What I’m trying to fix on is say 6 none Scottish based ITs that embrace the major markets with minimal risk and duplication paying a 4-5% dividend - I start with CTY and but then it becomes more difficult perhaps what I’m looking for doesn’t exist at the moment.

In terms of the non-UK sector, dividend focused IT's, you could look at:

JGGI - JP Morgan Global Growth & Income trust, or
HINT - Henderson International Income trust (excludes the UK)
AAIF - Aberdeen Asian [Pacific] Income trust, (Jersey based), or
SOI - Schroder Asian [Pacific] Income trust
MCT - Middlefield Canadian Income trust (includes some US holdings)
EAT - European Assets trust, or
JETI - JP Morgan European income trust
BRNA - Blackrock North American trust
Last edited by richfool on June 3rd, 2021, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » June 3rd, 2021, 10:20 am

Matchless wrote:What I’m trying to fix on is say 6 none Scottish based ITs that embrace the major markets with minimal risk and duplication paying a 4-5% dividend - I start with CTY and but then it becomes more difficult perhaps what I’m looking for doesn’t exist at the moment.

let's teach how to fish...
https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compa ... desc=false

some AIC sectors you could filter by to get income...
Asia Pacific Equity Income
Global Equity Income
Infrastructure
Renewable Energy Infrastructure
Royalties
UK Equity & Bond Income
UK Equity Income

you'll see some property ones there too.

to get more info on the trusts own websites. a simple google/altavista/askjeeves search normally will get you to them. you can often see longer dividend history info etc.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » June 3rd, 2021, 10:21 am

From the a quick scan of the link I posted earlier, there seem to be many that would fit, for example:

Henderson Far East Income HFEL Janus Henderson Investors Asia Pacific Equity Income GBX 490.69 2.4 3.7 1.08 0.75 7.2

JPMorgan European Income JETI J.P. Morgan Asset Management Europe GBX 165.09 -9.8 7.1 1.04 0.86 4.4

BlackRock Frontiers BRFI BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Global Emerging Markets GBX 328.99 -5.7 4 1.4 0.81 4.4

Majedie MAJE Majedie Asset Management Global Equity Income GBX 173.21 -15.9 7.3 1.24 4.2 4.8

JPMorgan Japan Small Cap Growth & Income JSGI J.P. Morgan Asset Management Japanese Smaller Companies GBX 304.31 -6.2 - 1.14 - 4.6

BlackRock Latin American BRLA BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Latin America GBX 176.16 -10 5 1.15 0.32 4.7

BlackRock North American Income BRNA BlackRock Investment Management (UK) North America GBX 157.23 -4.3 13.2 1.06 0.52 4.3

Chelverton UK Dividend SDV Chelverton Asset Management UK Equity Income GBX 65.49 -3 6.1 2.09 1.65 4.4

Marwyn Value Investors MVI Marwyn Investment Management UK Smaller Companies GBX 101.5 -33.3 - 2.41 1.31 7.5

(I'm not recommending these, nor have I done any research on them except to check that they don't seem to be based in Scotland)

Matchless

Postby Matchless » June 3rd, 2021, 10:26 am

Thank you

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » June 3rd, 2021, 1:43 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:

let's teach how to fish...
https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compa ... desc=false

some AIC sectors you could filter by to get income...
Asia Pacific Equity Income
Global Equity Income
Infrastructure
Renewable Energy Infrastructure
Royalties
UK Equity & Bond Income
UK Equity Income

you'll see some property ones there too.

to get more info on the trusts own websites. a simple google/altavista/askjeeves search normally will get you to them. you can often see longer dividend history info etc.

You are going to need to provide a new fishing lesson in a couple of months. We are working on a cool new tool that will make the above more simple and intuitive. You will love it and if you don't I will just change my username so you cant tell me off.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » June 3rd, 2021, 2:15 pm

DavidM13 wrote:You are going to need to provide a new fishing lesson in a couple of months. We are working on a cool new tool that will make the above more simple and intuitive. You will love it and if you don't I will just change my username so you cant tell me off.

oh dear, I've heard this before. I spend most of yesterday working out how to undo the "improvements" mozilla made to their firefox brower. they completely ruined it! it's good how it is so please don't allow it to lose functionality or bloat in how it displays info. i have a bad feeling about this. it happens so often with websites and apps. developers can't for some reason just leave well alone. desperately trying to justifying their pay cheque i suppose.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » June 3rd, 2021, 3:22 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:
DavidM13 wrote:You are going to need to provide a new fishing lesson in a couple of months. We are working on a cool new tool that will make the above more simple and intuitive. You will love it and if you don't I will just change my username so you cant tell me off.

oh dear, I've heard this before. I spend most of yesterday working out how to undo the "improvements" mozilla made to their firefox brower. they completely ruined it! it's good how it is so please don't allow it to lose functionality or bloat in how it displays info. i have a bad feeling about this. it happens so often with websites and apps. developers can't for some reason just leave well alone. desperately trying to justifying their pay cheque i suppose.

You are going to have to trust me. I promise, the user experience is at the forefront of everything we are doing on the data and tools.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » June 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm

DavidM13 wrote:You are going to have to trust me. I promise, the user experience is at the forefront of everything we are doing on the data and tools.

i've been burnt too many times to trust on this topic. this user does not want any functionality to be lost. user experience usually translates to making it easier for new users who are not of the mind to explore and work things out. which usually results in simplification and losing of functionality. and they normally add in some random appearance changes which take getting used to but add nothing. not what i want for sure.

i won't reply any further on this as we're veering off topic.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”