Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Greencoat KIDs

Closed-end funds and OEICs
eepee
Lemon Slice

Greencoat KIDs

Postby eepee » September 30th, 2021, 2:12 pm

The other day I went and bought Greencoat UK Wind and on the purchase page I had to tick a box I have never come across before.

Examining the horror chart that the purchase generated, I realised that I had purchased a fund for the very first time.

This gives figures for Ongoing and Transaction charges which are paid annually.

What I want to know is what happens if I sell them before the year is up?

Do I go by the Bid price or do I aditionally have to consider a proportion of the declared charges?

Regards,
ep

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Greencoat KIDs

Postby mc2fool » September 30th, 2021, 2:25 pm

eepee wrote:The other day I went and bought Greencoat UK Wind and on the purchase page I had to tick a box I have never come across before.

Examining the horror chart that the purchase generated, I realised that I had purchased a fund for the very first time.

This gives figures for Ongoing and Transaction charges which are paid annually.

What I want to know is what happens if I sell them before the year is up?

Do I go by the Bid price or do I aditionally have to consider a proportion of the declared charges?

Regards,
ep

You go by the bid price. All the charges etc in the KID, that you now have to certify you've read, are internal to the investment trust.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 30th, 2021, 2:39 pm

eepee wrote:Examining the horror chart that the purchase generated, I realised that I had purchased a fund for the very first time.

It's an Investment Trust which as a collective investment has these rather useless declarations and disclosures imposed on it. It's also a quoted instrument which means if you sell, you will get what a market maker will pay for it, less any commission they might charge.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » October 1st, 2021, 10:22 am

Thank you both.

It does raise another question.

What is the advantage of buying into a trust, especially one limited to (presumably) one type of product where the yield is given at a healthy over 5% yet the charges virtually halve that? Surely in the yield tables they should indicate the lower figure?

Regards,
ep

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » October 1st, 2021, 10:39 am

eepee wrote:What is the advantage of buying into a trust, especially one limited to (presumably) one type of product where the yield is given at a healthy over 5% yet the charges virtually halve that? Surely in the yield tables they should indicate the lower figure?

With Investment Trusts, figures for net asset value, actual dividend yield, total return etc. are always shown based on what a holder receives, after charges in other words. Be aware as well that the rules require ITs to add together charges for expenses and interest on borrowings, thus making a useful disclosure of neither. An advantage of ITs is that being closed end funds they can invest in assets that aren't easily valued or realisable. OEICs as discovered by investors in the Woodford funds can have problems if people want to sell when the fund holds illiquid assets.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 1st, 2021, 12:37 pm

Alaric wrote: OEICs as discovered by investors in the Woodford funds can have problems if people want to sell when the fund holds illiquid assets.

However, as far as returns on investment are concerned, the investors in the Woodford IT were even worse off! The OEIC investors got about 70% back - and the IT investors got about half of that!

See https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27323#p377145

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm

scotia wrote:
Alaric wrote: OEICs as discovered by investors in the Woodford funds can have problems if people want to sell when the fund holds illiquid assets.

However, as far as returns on investment are concerned, the investors in the Woodford IT were even worse off! The OEIC investors got about 70% back - and the IT investors got about half of that!

See https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27323#p377145

Yes but with respect that is a red herring as far as the OP is concerned. He is investing in Greencoat not a Woodford fund and The Woodford trust was manipulated anyway by the OEIC off loading a lot of stuff (unquoted wasn't it?) to the IT.

If I were the OP I would tick the box to say you have read the KID and then ignore it. He can find out all he needs to know from the Annual Report of Greencoat and the daily figures on yield etc.

Dod

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » October 1st, 2021, 2:02 pm

Alaric wrote:
eepee wrote:What is the advantage of buying into a trust, especially one limited to (presumably) one type of product where the yield is given at a healthy over 5% yet the charges virtually halve that? Surely in the yield tables they should indicate the lower figure?

With Investment Trusts, figures for net asset value, actual dividend yield, total return etc. are always shown based on what a holder receives, after charges in other words. Be aware as well that the rules require ITs to add together charges for expenses and interest on borrowings, thus making a useful disclosure of neither. An advantage of ITs is that being closed end funds they can invest in assets that aren't easily valued or realisable. OEICs as discovered by investors in the Woodford funds can have problems if people want to sell when the fund holds illiquid assets.

Well said.

CTY for example is forced to disclose a fee of 0.81% in its KID, when 0.45% of it isn't going in to the managers yacht fund but is being used to support its leverage. On what planet does forcing firms to lump in to exactly the same pot what is basically an investment decision with management fees seem a good idea. Of course if you want to see the cost of the debt (ie. interest rate and time to maturity) then you can look at the difference between the Par and Fair NAV. It isn't reflected in the KID charge. All very unsastisfactory.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » October 1st, 2021, 2:21 pm

DavidM13 wrote:On what planet does forcing firms to lump in to exactly the same pot what is basically an investment decision with management fees seem a good idea.

It was an EU Directive, but one influenced by the FSA. Repeal or replacement by something more useful is likely not on any Government list.

There's a perverse effect that British investors remain free to invest in shares on American stock exchanges but not collections of these shares in the form of US quoted ETFs. That's down to an absence of KIIDs for collectives based outside of Europe.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » October 1st, 2021, 2:59 pm

eepee wrote:Thank you both.

It does raise another question.

What is the advantage of buying into a trust, especially one limited to (presumably) one type of product where the yield is given at a healthy over 5% yet the charges virtually halve that? Surely in the yield tables they should indicate the lower figure?

Regards,
ep

Two points.

Firstly, the 5% dividend yield is post costs. This will be the case for every collective investment scheme.

Secondly, included in the 2% of costs shown on the KID are 0.66% of financing costs - interest paid on the debt incurred by UKW. So not a charge or fee in any meaningful sense.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”