Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

OLTB’s Passive Portfolio

Index tracking funds and ETFs
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

OLTB’s Passive Portfolio

Postby OLTB » February 3rd, 2020, 10:40 pm

Evening all.

Well, my stop loss for my shareholding in Sylvania Platinum (SLP) kicked in today and as this was a rolling stop loss, made a little profit. Annoyed at yet another unsuccessful individual investment, I rolled the proceeds into my passive portfolio and bought equal amounts of EQQQ (NASDAQ tracker) and CHIP (China top 500 tracker - fortunate timing from recent highs because of the virus). As these investments won’t be touched for 15 years or so, hopefully I can just leave them to grow, adding as and when dividends or other capital becomes available.

Cheers, OLTB.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: OLTB’s Passive Portfolio

Postby MaraMan » February 4th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Sorry to hear that you haven't done do well out of SLP, I have held it for almost exactly 2 years and its nearly doubled in price in that time. I usually run rolling stop losses on these, but still question whether they are effective on volatile stocks. Do you mind me asking what stop loss you set?
I don't intend selling SLP in the forseeable future as it seems to me that they should continue to do well, but that's a long term view and I accept that it may be a bumpy ride.

MM

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » February 4th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Thanks MaraMan

I had it set at a 20% drop and I think following the recent results when the share price dropped and then yesterday when the price dropped again (which I wasn't expecting by the way - when the sale notification came through, I was surprised), that limit was reached. As you say, perhaps volatile stocks are not suited to rolling stop losses.

I am down quite a bit on my 'punt' shares, so maybe I just wanted to stop the rot!

Cheers, OLTB.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » February 5th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I also have had a few misses and found that my rolling stops losses have given a mixed result. Knowing when to sell is an art I have yet to perfect, but I agree that there is nothing wrong with a safety first approach. The likes of SLP will be aways be a rocky road, but I picked them after Investors Chronicle recommended them and I like that they pay a modest divi. Now where should I set that stop loss............don't want to lose all my notional profit as I have done on too many occasions.

MM

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » September 22nd, 2020, 4:14 pm

Afternoon all

Following receipt of various dividends within my SIPP, I had enough to top-up one of the constituents of my passive portfolio and elected for the China Tracker element as that was below target weighting. This is the Wisdom Tree S&P China 500 etf (TIDM: CHIP). My passive portfolio now is as follows:

I could have elected to top-up the Global Value etf (VVAL) as this is also behind target weight, however, 'value' stocks don't seem to have done so well over the past couple of years (the EQQQ etf has been a good balance against 'value'). Of course, things could change at any moment and I hear that tech stocks are overvalued so perhaps 'value' could bounce back at some future point. With more dividends in the pipeline for this month, I might have enough for a further top-up.

Any comments welcome!

Cheers, OLTB.

spasmodicus
Lemon Slice

Postby spasmodicus » September 27th, 2020, 12:18 pm

OLTB wrote:
I could have elected to top-up the Global Value etf (VVAL) as this is also behind target weight, however, 'value' stocks don't seem to have done so well over the past couple of years (the EQQQ etf has been a good balance against 'value'). Of course, things could change at any moment and I hear that tech stocks are overvalued so perhaps 'value' could bounce back at some future point. With more dividends in the pipeline for this month, I might have enough for a further top-up.

Any comments welcome!

Hi OLTB, I am interested to know how you decided on the target weights for that portfolio and whether they change with time. It seems that each component is chosen for its individual investment style, e.g. tech stocks, emerging markets, value etc which will be to some extent uncorrelated, thereby improving diversity. I have have been building a regionally differentiated collection of ETFs but I am struggling to decide how to weight and rebalance the components.

regards,
S

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » September 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Hi spasmodicus and thanks for the comment above - the asset breakdown was taken mainly from Tim Hale's book, 'Smarter Investing' - that's where the main bulk of the portfolio sits. The EQQQ and China trackers are there as I think that's where the growth will be for the next decade or so (my time scale before possibly needing the funds to draw on for retirement). I've set 4% as the max limit as I don't want to go too heavy with this 'guess' and if they go overweight, I would trim.

Cheers, OLTB.

Return to “Passive Investing”