Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

China ETF

Index tracking funds and ETFs
ron505

China ETF

Postby ron505 » April 4th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Hello

Anyone got any experience/advice re investing in China through index tracking ETF's?

I'm contemplating this one:

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... -ucits-etf

Thanks

Ron

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Re: China ETF

Postby gbjbaanb » April 5th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I wouldn't go anywhere near a China-only investment at the current time. When the dust settles, people are going to start questioning our dependance on them, and I'd say there will be some sort of hit to the chinese growth story. The pandemic could be a blip, or it could be a real game changer.

Other SE ASia countries are more likely to take trade away from China if companies in the West are pressured to reduce their presence. At best, I'd wait and see what kind of fallout will occur.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 6th, 2020, 10:17 am

gbjbaanb wrote:I wouldn't go anywhere near a China-only investment at the current time. When the dust settles, people are going to start questioning our dependance on them, and I'd say there will be some sort of hit to the chinese growth story. The pandemic could be a blip, or it could be a real game changer.

Other SE ASia countries are more likely to take trade away from China if companies in the West are pressured to reduce their presence. At best, I'd wait and see what kind of fallout will occur.

Maybe, but I find it interesting ( and a touch counter-intuitive) that my China IT (JCGI) has actually risen YTD!

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » April 6th, 2020, 11:06 am

I know, but that's only because so-far China has dealt with their virus problem (whether that's in reality or just by PR/media manipulation) whilst the rest of the world is screwed. I woulnd't expect that to last - or at least, now's the chance to sell China whilst its high and buy everywhere else while they're low.

Long-term, that might not perform quite as well as you'd like, or in comparison with other regional funds.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » April 6th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Like 77ss, my China fund (ticker: CHIP) is up 4.13% since I invested on 3rd Feb this year - this is a long term punt though and only for a small proportion of assets.

Cheers, OLTB.

Return to “Passive Investing”