Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How to determine dividend currency for GBP ETFs

Index tracking funds and ETFs
CleverClogs

How to determine dividend currency for GBP ETFs

Postby CleverClogs » February 2nd, 2021, 3:57 pm

I got a bit of a shock a few years back when an ETF I purchased in GBP coughed out dividends in USDs!
(It was SSGA SPDR ETFs Europe I plc S&P Global Dividend Aristocrats UCITS ETF (GBDV)

I am now planning to buy into some more distribution EFTs in GBPs and would like to be able to check whether I'll get the same issue. For clarity I've found most of these Irish domiciled funds are managed in USD as the underlying currency, but the LSE listing is purchasd in GBP. Clearly there is a currency conversion, but hopefully when done by the fund management it is better value than the retail rates Interactive Investor charge which are high IMO.

If you know how to check dividend currency for ETFs, please do share the knowledge. With thanks.

Examples are: CEUG, GSPX, IEEM

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: How to determine dividend currency for GBP ETFs

Postby daveh » February 3rd, 2021, 8:46 am

CleverClogs wrote:I got a bit of a shock a few years back when an ETF I purchased in GBP coughed out dividends in USDs!
(It was SSGA SPDR ETFs Europe I plc S&P Global Dividend Aristocrats UCITS ETF (GBDV)

I am now planning to buy into some more distribution EFTs in GBPs and would like to be able to check whether I'll get the same issue. For clarity I've found most of these Irish domiciled funds are managed in USD as the underlying currency, but the LSE listing is purchasd in GBP. Clearly there is a currency conversion, but hopefully when done by the fund management it is better value than the retail rates Interactive Investor charge which are high IMO.

If you know how to check dividend currency for ETFs, please do share the knowledge. With thanks.

Examples are: CEUG, GSPX, IEEM

go and look on the ETFs website and check past distributions - that will tell you what currency they are paid in:

So for state street for example:
https://www.ssga.com/library-content/pr ... b-2021.pdf

CleverClogs

Postby CleverClogs » February 3rd, 2021, 11:17 am

Thank you Sir, for your assistance.

Not good news in my cases: Euros, USD and USD!

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » February 3rd, 2021, 12:54 pm

Hi CleverClogs.

The other point I would consider, if relevant, is in what wrappers you hold the ETF's.

ISA's won't allow non-GBP, so conversions are done automatically for you - SIPP's do allow non-GBP, so don't auto-convert. I am also with II and have the same ETF's in both wrappers but they get treated differently in this respect.

Regards, Newroad

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 3rd, 2021, 3:03 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi CleverClogs.

The other point I would consider, if relevant, is in what wrappers you hold the ETF's.

ISA's won't allow non-GBP, so conversions are done automatically for you - SIPP's do allow non-GBP, so don't auto-convert. I am also with II and have the same ETF's in both wrappers but they get treated differently in this respect.

Regards, Newroad

I'm with II and HSDL, my non sterling dividends are all in ISAs and I get a slightly better rate at HSDL than II.

Eg my last USD dvi for VWRL was 23.04p with HSDL and 22.657p with II (which I think is the biggest difference, its been closer in the past, but always [so far] better at HSDL).

Return to “Passive Investing”