Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Is VWRL the best bet

Index tracking funds and ETFs
1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is VWRL the best bet

Postby 1nvest » August 8th, 2023, 4:04 pm

Julian wrote:
1nvest wrote:In non taxable accounts for accumulation funds you should automatically be referencing and reporting (in your self assessment tax return) the dividend value accumulated as though it was a actual dividend amount received, and increasing your records of average cost per share for that stock (as otherwise you might end up paying more capital gains tax than you should when you sell shares).

Own 100 shares of xyz that originally cost 100p/share, and later the fund reports a 5p dividend accumulated, so you declare a £5 dividend to HMRC, and increase your per share cost base from 100p to 105p/share.

I assume this is a simple typo, or else my understanding is totally wrong, but I assume you didn't meant to type that "non" in the bit that I bolded in the first few words of your reply, i.e. it is only taxable accounts where you need to account for dividends received by an accumulation fund but not physically paid out to you whereas for holdings in ISAs or SIPPs none of the record keeping you describe is necessary for tax purposes. (I suppose that even within an accumulation trust some people might want to separate out returns from income from those from capital growth for their own performance monitoring reasons but to lazy old me that feels like masochism!).

On that accumulation thing someone already mentioned VWRL/VWRP where VWRP is simply the accumulating (as opposed to distributing, i.e. paying out the dividends) version of VWRL. It is worth doing a bit of Google searching because many of the Vanguard ETFs come in both distributing and accumulating versions and Vangard's UK site doesn't always seem very good at making it easy to find the accumulation version.

Personally I became a convert to passive investing a few years ago. I still have a lot of actively managed ITs but their performance has been underwhelming so all new investments go into passives and as I top-slice my investments every year to top up income and make full use of my ISA and post-retirement SIPP allowances my active investment pool (ITs and some HYP shares) that form the pool of candidates to sell off so that I can let my passives run untouched until that active pool is gone.

There are already a lot of passives discussed here but I'll finish by throwing in one I think lesser known one because it's fairly new but might be of interest to those wanting maximum simplicity so covering as much market as possible with a single investment. Vanguard have done this as a mutual fund for a while but fairly recently anls announced an ETF that tracks the FTSE Global All-Cap index where the key difference between it and VWRL/VWRP is that the all-cap includes some global smaller cap representation as well as the medium and large cap found in VWRL/VWRP. The tickers for those Vanguard ETFs are V3AM.L (distributing) and V3AB (accumulating).

- Julian

Thanks Julian, indeed it should have read "in taxable accounts" :oops:

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 8th, 2023, 8:11 pm

Julian wrote:There are already a lot of passives discussed here but I'll finish by throwing in one I think lesser known one because it's fairly new but might be of interest to those wanting maximum simplicity so covering as much market as possible with a single investment. Vanguard have done this as a mutual fund for a while but fairly recently anls announced an ETF that tracks the FTSE Global All-Cap index where the key difference between it and VWRL/VWRP is that the all-cap includes some global smaller cap representation as well as the medium and large cap found in VWRL/VWRP. The tickers for those Vanguard ETFs are V3AM.L (distributing) and V3AB (accumulating).

A true global all assets/investments full replication is impossible, at some point sampled based has to be adopted. Buying in at ongoing cap weightings is also buying into yesterdays winners, some suggest starting with initial equal weightings and leaving that as-is to find its own forward time cap weightings to be better than that of buying more heavily into yesterdays winners.

Global assets at a top level might be considered as including stocks, bonds, commodities, land/properties main assets. A simple samples based 'index' for that might be to count your state/occupation pension as the 'bonds' exposure, your house/home as the land/properties exposure, gold as a common 'commodities index' and complete that with a stock index fund. Which might involve a single stock fund holding (assuming gold were held via the likes of Sovereign gold coins that are tax exempt and have no counter party risk).

How much that 'sampled' based 'index' might align to a full replication (mathematical measure) of a all world all assets portfolio??? I suspect generally not too dissimilar, more inclined to 'reasonably-align', modest/low (acceptable) tracking error.

In that context, the differences between the likes of VWRP and V3AB as the stock holdings in terms of the scale of total portfolio/holdings is IMO inclined to be relatively little (insignificant). But a nice find/highlight, thanks.

Hornblower
Lemon Pip

Postby Hornblower » August 11th, 2023, 12:35 pm

One possible advantage to VWRL over VWRP is purely psychological: You get to see the dividends coming in every quarter, and hopefully see that number increasing over the years. This might not be sensible if it's going to incur higher trading fees of course.

I must confess, I love seeing the divis arrive.

H

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 11th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Hornblower wrote:I must confess, I love seeing the divis arrive.

H

Interesting.

VWRL top 5 Holdings :
Apple 4.52%
Microsoft 3.96%
Amazon 1.83%
NVIDIA 1.57%
Tesla 1.13%

VHYL (High yield) top 5 holdings:
Exxon 1.77%
J&J 1.75%
JP Morgan 1.73%
Proctor & Gamble 1.45%
Broadcom 1.44%

Both different in nature but all big USA weightings.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 11th, 2023, 1:27 pm

Hornblower wrote:One possible advantage to VWRL over VWRP is purely psychological: You get to see the dividends coming in every quarter, and hopefully see that number increasing over the years. This might not be sensible if it's going to incur higher trading fees of course.

H

This is psychological, we know that. You're buying that little psycho lift with more trading fees unless of coursde you're regularly adding to your portfolio and rolling in those accumulated dividends with new money. Then the only cost is for how long those uninvested accumulated dividends are out of the market.
I have one ISA dedicated to VWRP, I have do not miss the dividends but I have a SIPP and 2 other ISAs where I do get to see my dividends and get a kick out of keeping a rolling 12 month total. A big hit of joy came when it exceed my living expenses estimate. Another when it matched my earnt income.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » August 11th, 2023, 2:29 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Hornblower wrote:One possible advantage to VWRL over VWRP is purely psychological: You get to see the dividends coming in every quarter, and hopefully see that number increasing over the years. This might not be sensible if it's going to incur higher trading fees of course.

H

This is psychological, we know that. You're buying that little psycho lift with more trading fees unless of coursde you're regularly adding to your portfolio and rolling in those accumulated dividends with new money. Then the only cost is for how long those uninvested accumulated dividends are out of the market.
I have one ISA dedicated to VWRP, I have do not miss the dividends but I have a SIPP and 2 other ISAs where I do get to see my dividends and get a kick out of keeping a rolling 12 month total. A big hit of joy came when it exceed my living expenses estimate. Another when it matched my earnt income.

I choose accumulation funds whenever I am buying within my ISA or SIPP for the reasons you mention but outside my tax shelters I always buy the distributing version of a fund because I hate the concept of having to "feed" my investments each year e.g. if I have £50,000 in an accumulation fund that is declaring £1,000 of dividends each year even though they don't get paid out then I still need to come up with £337.50 each year(*) from other income in order to pay the tax liability on those accumulated dividends(**).

I'm also lazy so I didn't like the idea of the extra record keeping each year to keep income and stored capital gains separated out. With distributing funds the capital gain/loss on sale is easily calculated from the actiual buy and sell prices with no need to strip out accumulated income already taxed.

I suppose you could characterise both my aversion to needing to come up with the tax each year, and my laziness, are also both psychological factors so I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, rather adding another couple of thoughts on the psychology of the matter.

- Julian

(*) 33.75% dividend tax for a higher rate tax payer

(**) Or at least that's how I understand it. I've never actually put myself in the position to find out for sure since, based on my understanding of how it works - the idea of having to come up with money each year in return for simply holding and ignoring an investment - just didn't sit well with me so I've never had to declare tax on any accumulated income. I would be fascinated to hear if the whole premise behind my behaviour has been flawed - i.e. based on a misunderstanding of how the tax is handled on accumulated dividends - although that is only of academic interest to me now since all my new investments are now exclusively bought within my ISA or my SIPP.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 11th, 2023, 2:34 pm

Julian wrote:I suppose you could characterise both my aversion to needing to come up with the tax each year, and my laziness, are also both psychological factors so I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, rather adding another couple of thoughts on the psychology of the matter.

Julian - yes of course one should only use accumulating vehicles within sheltered accounts to prevent the tax and record keeping issues you mention and distributing for unsheltered funds.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 11th, 2023, 4:45 pm

Julian wrote:(**) Or at least that's how I understand it.

You understand correctly. ;)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 11th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Julian wrote:[

(**) Or at least that's how I understand it. I've never actually put myself in the position to find out for sure since, based on my understanding of how it works - the idea of having to come up with money each year in return for simply holding and ignoring an investment - just didn't sit well with me so I've never had to declare tax on any accumulated income. I would be fascinated to hear if the whole premise behind my behaviour has been flawed - i.e. based on a misunderstanding of how the tax is handled on accumulated dividends -.

That's how it works, although if income from all sources exceeds expenditure, it's just another part of the annual tax bill. If you are on PAYE and ask HMRC to not adjust for dividends, it just adds to the tax bill on dividends already received.

Scrip dividends can operate in a similar manner. Both make record keeping for CGT calculations more complex.

Return to “Passive Investing”