Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

RVF Portfolio - Damaged goods.

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
ReallyVeryFoolish
Lemon Slice

Re: RVF Portfolio - Damaged goods.

Postby ReallyVeryFoolish » June 9th, 2020, 3:51 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Having sold HSBA a while ago but bought back into them in December 2019 (often a bad idea in my book) I dumped them overboard yesterday morning and replaced them with M&G (MNG). The share price trajectory of both those companies is very similar having both lost money a similar amount since December 2019. As a candidate for the world's worst share trader it was nice to see a blue day for MNG share price after I bought. Usually when I buy the share price drops.

I gave up on HSBA due to the political sideshow in Hong Kong that looks likely to be far from over yet. It was another mistake of mine buying back into HSBA having previously got out. We live and we learn.

RVF

Seems I am not the only one worried about business in Hong Kong, from the FT -

“Hong Kong as we know it is dead,” said an adviser who works with hedge funds in the city and elsewhere in the region. “It will become just another city in China. The hedge fund community will move on to Singapore and elsewhere,” added the adviser, who like many in the industry requested anonymity in order to speak freely.

To perhaps access the article without an FT account try googling for the words - "Hong Kong hedge funds eye exit as national security law looms"

RVF

Dod101
Lemon Half

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2020, 6:57 am

As I have said before, I think HSBC should throw in its lot with China and move its domicile back to Hong Kong. It already has its HQ building there and a very large market. Hedge funds are different because they have very little infrastructure to worry about and could move very quickly. Whatever happens, HK is going to be simply another city in China, at the absolute latest by 2047 if not before but it is a matter of degree.

I sold some HSBC shares last week, about 15% of my holding, but that was more to do with having too much rather than the idea of getting out of them.

I will leave the rest most likely and just wait and see.

Dod

ReallyVeryFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby ReallyVeryFoolish » June 27th, 2020, 4:27 am

Perhaps I should be happy that nothing much is happening at the moment in the RVF Damaged Goods portfolio. The MNG purchase in place of HSBC has done nothing which is helpful compared to HSBC recent passed share price history. And M&G are very unlikely to become embroiled in a political football match with the Chinese government any time soon. Hopefully the MNG dividend will survive. I'm hopeful. Still, the ISA part of the portfolio which is/was focussed on UK shares yield remains a train wreck and deep, deep underwater. Pressing on with Plan C now. I hope in the next week or two to have an agreement in place for consulting work based at home in the UK once I retire from fulltime employment. The clock is ticking down nicely with "R" day still set to the 31st July. I have worked out that to fully repair the capital value of the combined ISA/SIPP portfolio I need about 50 to 60 days of work. The income from the consulting work will be going into my SIPP. I have four years contribuion carry back available to to me to contribute new capital to my SIPP. This is RVF's final opportunity to accrue some capital before I entirely retire and forget about work completely. I am fortunate to be able to rebuild the portfolio like this. At least my planning has been robust enough to allow me to retire-ish on the planned date. Some won't have been so fortunate.

RVF.

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”