Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

No-look November 2019

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Re: No-look November 2019

Postby Wasron » August 30th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Wasron wrote:
Pleasantly surprised by the portfolio value given the position of the FTSE and HK issues.

Great news - are you able to give a percentage-movement figure for the month's worth of abstinence?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The FTSE 100 has dropped just over 5%, my portfolio by around half that. Having a globally diverse portfolio has obviously helped.

If I’d been a slave to my phone I may well have had a short-term punt on Micro Focus yesterday, but that’s exactly the type of activity I’m trying to move away from.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 30th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Wasron wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Wasron wrote:
Pleasantly surprised by the portfolio value given the position of the FTSE and HK issues.

Great news - are you able to give a percentage-movement figure for the month's worth of abstinence?

The FTSE 100 has dropped just over 5%, my portfolio by around half that. Having a globally diverse portfolio has obviously helped.

Thanks - and this highlights why I recommend giving such abstinence a go if anyone finds it difficult not to keep a very close eye on their investments too regularly...

More often than not, it's all just market-noise, and we're often unlikely to 'do anything' with the results of very close and regular 'portfolio monitoring' anyway, and if any major noises were to become so important that they might be likely to materially affect a well-diversified portfolio, then it's also likely that we'd learn of such 'events' through more normal means anyway...

I'm still quite happy with my quick 'once-a-week' review, which usually happens on a Friday, and I think these once-a-year month-breaks go some way to embedding the idea that we're often just 'looking for looking's sake', and it's good to try to break that type of habit, I've found.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 14th, 2019, 5:47 am

Having given 'No-look November 2019' some further consideration, I think that given the close proximity of what might be a turbulence-inducing period for financial markets, the best thing to do might be to postpone this year's attempt, and perhaps re-convene next year when things may have settled down one way or another.

I'd very much prefer if we could please avoid discussing the political issue itself on this thread, as I think there's quite enough chat over on the Polite Discussions board if anyone wishes to get involved with that.

Hopefully this time next year we can collectively get ready to test our personal resolve in this area again.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 15th, 2019, 1:08 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Having given 'No-look November 2019' some further consideration, I think that given the close proximity of what might be a turbulence-inducing period for financial markets, the best thing to do might be to postpone this year's attempt...

Under the circumstances, perhaps the best course of action (for your sanity, at least) will be not to look :D

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » October 29th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Having given 'No-look November 2019' some further consideration, I think that given the close proximity of what might be a turbulence-inducing period for financial markets, the best thing to do might be to postpone this year's attempt, and perhaps re-convene next year when things may have settled down one way or another.

I'd very much prefer if we could please avoid discussing the political issue itself on this thread, as I think there's quite enough chat over on the Polite Discussions board if anyone wishes to get involved with that.

Hopefully this time next year we can collectively get ready to test our personal resolve in this area again.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

What do you think about reconsidering the postponement given the latest extension?

I think I’ll be trying it again either way. I did some portfolio management after my month of abstinence in August (swapping some HYP shares for more in the ITs), leaving me better placed to ignore it all for a month.

Regards,

Wasron

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 29th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Wasron wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Having given 'No-look November 2019' some further consideration, I think that given the close proximity of what might be a turbulence-inducing period for financial markets, the best thing to do might be to postpone this year's attempt, and perhaps re-convene next year when things may have settled down one way or another.

What do you think about reconsidering the postponement given the latest extension?

I think I’ll be trying it again either way. I did some portfolio management after my month of abstinence in August (swapping some HYP shares for more in the ITs), leaving me better placed to ignore it all for a month.

Hi there,

Well I'm game, although I'll admit to having a bit of capital just about ready to be dripped into the market, so I'm not sure how I'll fair this year if there's any sign of volatility over the coming month.

I'll certainly give it a go though - are we going to take some metrics similar to last year to see how variable things are over the month?

This is how we set out last year - does that sound like a good enough plan to mimic this time around?

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13961&start=20#p177459

Note that as well as some indices values, which I'll capture on this thread later in the week, there should be a capture of portfolio value and component values so we can do some rudimentary benchmarking later on, just to see what we've 'missed' whilst trying to 'not-look'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » October 30th, 2019, 8:01 am

IAAG,

Sounds good to me.

I too have some capital to deploy, so will probably confirm my selections for top-up tomorrow night, even though they’ll go through on the 10th.

Regards.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 31st, 2019, 6:49 pm

Here's some indices values at close of play tonight (Oct 31st) to allow us to compare things in a month -

FTSE 100 - 7,248.38
FTSE 250 - 20,021.50
FTSE 350 High Yield - 3,492.21
FTSE All-Share - 3,993.46

I'll be taking a record of my portfolio capital value tonight, and we are then able to benchmark any movement over the month of November against the above indices.

Even if anyone is interested in this process, but isn't wanting to take part in the 'No-Look' aspect of it, then I would still be interested to hear about the November fluctuation in people's underlying portfolio values.

I appreciate this isn't easy sometimes, and certainly if investments or sales are likely to be involved during that time, so this might be easier where people's portfolios are likely to be 'settled' over the November period.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » October 31st, 2019, 7:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
I'll be taking a record of my portfolio capital value tonight, and we are then able to benchmark any movement over the month of November against the above indices.

I’ve taken a snapshot of my SIPP this evening. Next look will be close of business on the 29th

Regards,

Wasron

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 18th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Well I'm strong and finding it easy enough, I'd normally check values most days, update spreadsheets weekly and keep an idea of next purchases that I make most months. I thought this board would be a bit like a "meeting" with support and regular heartfelt chat. We're over half way, I've not looked even though Halifax and AJ Bell have both sent me a few emails about corporate actions, my regular buys and dividend payments.

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » November 19th, 2019, 3:11 pm

kempiejon wrote:Well I'm strong and finding it easy enough, I'd normally check values most days, update spreadsheets weekly and keep an idea of next purchases that I make most months. I thought this board would be a bit like a "meeting" with support and regular heartfelt chat. We're over half way, I've not looked even though Halifax and AJ Bell have both sent me a few emails about corporate actions, my regular buys and dividend payments.

I’m not finding it too difficult either, although as a tinkerer I did sell my BBA Aviation holding this week, rather than hold the smaller company it’s about to become. But that was easy enough without looking at portfolio content at all.

The hardest bit has been not checking on the dividends received that AJBell keep emailing me about. It’s always a pleasure charting the gradual rise of the rolling last 12 months of dividends figure :)

Wasron

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 19th, 2019, 4:46 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Well I'm strong and finding it easy enough, I'd normally check values most days, update spreadsheets weekly and keep an idea of next purchases that I make most months. I thought this board would be a bit like a "meeting" with support and regular heartfelt chat.

We're over half way, I've not looked even though Halifax and AJ Bell have both sent me a few emails about corporate actions, my regular buys and dividend payments.

I don't tend to find it much of a struggle nowadays to be honest. I only really keep a watchful eye on my portfolio anyway lately, and take records on a Friday that now mainly feed into my income-projection tasks more than anything else, and I tend to find myself thinking about those more than actual portfolio value and component-level values.

I'd expect to hear anything major in the general news anyway, or stumble on something on-line when reading my general news sites, so I think after doing this 'No-Look' exercise for a few years now, and simply realising that where I thought I was 'adding value' by keeping the type of close scrutiny as I used to do in the past, both on my portfolio and any news-related items regarding my holdings, well very often it's a complete waste of time, and I've since found much more enjoyable ways to waste it!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

My p/f value increased by 3.17%.

The FTSE250 had a good month - Brexit related/Sterling strengthening.

monabri

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » November 29th, 2019, 9:03 pm

monabri wrote:

My p/f value increased by 3.17%.

The FTSE250 had a good month - Brexit related/Sterling strengthening.

monabri

My p/f value increased by 2.2%, so somewhere between the FTSE 100 and 250

The mid caps like Paypoint and Telecom Plus did very well (as did Centrica), all up over 10%.

Private Equity, International ITs and property did less well. Three of my bottom 10 performers went ex-div in the month, which in BP’s case allows for its drop.

As with my last no-look experiment, i’ll be trying to follow this up with daily price checking creeping back into my life as little as possible 8-)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 29th, 2019, 9:28 pm

I should clarify...

I have included the value of the dividends for the shares that went XD in the month. Ok, the payment has not arrived but the share(s) have gone down as a result of going XD - I'm "correcting" for this by including the divi as though it has been paid. The difference would reduce the 3.17% by 0.4% to 2.77% otherwise.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 30th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Interesting results so far, and I'll borrow monabri's useful index-data as well, to help compare my own results -

Compared to the above, my HYP (which is a hybrid of around 60% single-shares and 40% Investment Trusts) rose 2.3% including dividends, so also somewhere between the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 gains over the same period. As monabri has said, it looks like there's been quite a small/mid-cap bounce over the period, which might have been expected given what seem to be the current political headwinds.

The exercise this year for me has proved to be as easy to carry out as last year, and I will now drop back to what is my normal routine of monitoring at the end of every week, usually on a Friday, which provides a good enough drum-beat for what I see now as a really settled investment strategy that I'm following.

As I've said elsewhere, I do spend some time actively dividends-received every month, across a couple of separate accounts, and capturing those in my dividend-tracking spreadsheet, which gives a great rolling view on how my income-strategy is progressing.

I will hopefully be looking to explore some early-retirement plans at some stage, and my dividend-tracking spreadsheet is my number-one tool for gaining the confidence I'm going to need whenever such plans grow any proper wings, so I consider the time spent on that data-gathering as quite a worthwhile pursuit.

For the number of years that I have been gathering this data, it's already given me some real confidence that not only am I pursuing a strategy that I really enjoy, but one that with a fair wind is likely to deliver the results I'm asking of it within the time-scale required for that delivery. I feel so lucky to be able to tick all those boxes, as I did struggle to initially find an investment approach that did so - and it was a frustrating couple of years whilst I experimented with a few different approaches that seemed to tick a couple of them at any given time, but never all of them at once, so to now be in a position where they are all ticked is something I really am very happy about.

Tracking capital values and share-prices though? Well, that's not for me nowadays really, except when it might come to opportunities for sales or purchases to be made, which is infrequent enough for those processes to be satisfied by my once-a-week portfolio-view on a Friday.

Thanks for everyone's interest this year. With a fair wind (and without wishing to dwell on the matter here...) we might hopefully see a more settled period in 11 months time when we hopefully return for next year's test....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

For me, Income units up 1.35%, accumulation units up 1.41%.

TJH

PS. Regarding Dividends from shares gone XD but not yet received, they would have added about 1% to the figures.

TJH
Last edited by tjh290633 on November 30th, 2019, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added data.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » December 1st, 2019, 8:00 am

Crikey, I must do this more often! My unit price rose 11.6% during November, the third highest monthly rise on record. It appears to have been driven by Persimmon, Marks & Spencer, and ITV.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » December 1st, 2019, 9:42 am

Do not have the unit values as I keep my ITs seperate from my Shares (for comparison reasons and they started at different times) but looking at capital increase over the month it was 2.36% for the whole portfolio. I have to put my hand up and say I did look at my portfolio as wanted to do something with my Greene King money. I also updated my dividends received in the speadsheet as they were paid. How about a "no look 2020" to make it interesting :lol:

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » December 1st, 2019, 10:27 am

I also cannot admit to following NLN as I also wished to deploy my Greene King cash.

I will though be taking December off and therefore, goodbye No Look November, hello Advent Abstinence.

See you in January (barring no exciting rns!).

Cheers, OLTB.

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”