Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

No-Look November 2020

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

No-Look November 2020

Postby Itsallaguess » November 1st, 2020, 4:03 pm

Some UK-market benchmarking stats for anyone interested in No-Look November 2020 -

Even if people aren't able to take part in the 'No-Look' aspect of the exercise this year, I'd still be interested to hear of any static-portfolio percentage-changes compared to the above benchmarks, which I'll update at the end of November so we can do some comparisons.

I'm accumulating some cash and dividends at the moment, so this year won't be too much trouble hopefully. To be honest, the last couple of years have been so volatile generally that if anything, it's getting easier to be more hands-off with my LTBH approach, but this regular exercise has certainly helped to create a better mindset for me in this whole area...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: No-Look November 2020

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 1st, 2020, 10:00 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Some UK-market benchmarking stats for anyone interested in No-Look November 2020 -

Even if people aren't able to take part in the 'No-Look' aspect of the exercise this year, I'd still be interested to hear of any static-portfolio percentage-changes compared to the above benchmarks, which I'll update at the end of November so we can do some comparisons...

...Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Saw this and took snapshots of the fairly "static" parts of my portfolio at the ends of Oct and Nov. FTSE 100 finished at 6266, so about + 12.4%. My "HYPish" shares (19 holdings, mainly FTSE 100) were + 10.7%. My "Income IT" shares (19 extremely diverse ITs so not really relevant to the benchmarks) were + 10.1%. Amusingly, in comparison, the "more growthy" shares were + 6.2%!

Otherwise, I have just been keeping a casual eye on things as usual... 8-)

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » December 1st, 2020, 10:53 am

My SIPP is up 15% in the month, but I haven’t got the breakdown between HYP and ITs.

I didn’t manage the whole month this year though, couldn’t resist a peak after the vaccine announcements...

Wasron

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 1st, 2020, 4:36 pm

With grateful thanks to CryptoPlankton for prompting me to update the following table, and we can now see the 'No-Look November 2020' metrics that we might wish to compare our untouched portfolios with over the month -

I've got a primarily high-yield portfolio, with a running yield of about 4.4% which I'm really quite happy with, and it consists of around 50% single-share HYP-like components, and 50% globally-diverse income-oriented Investment Trusts, and I'm very pleased to say that over the month of November my untouched portfolio grew by 15.53%, not including dividends-received.

I should say that whilst the market has been generally kind to us this November, the above result has primarily been achieved by the very good recent performance of an overweight holding, and as much as I do prefer to have things more balanced generally, it's always nice for the odd conviction decision to sometimes come good, at least...

Generally though, we should focus on the primary objective of this 'No-Look November' exercise, which is to gently remind ourselves that relatively mature portfolios often don't need the daily-scrutiny that we sometimes convince ourselves that we need to perform, and if simply left alone for a period of weeks, they'll normally continue to behave themselves without any issues, and go on delivering to their investment-remit....so it's hopefully a good reminder that it's really quite possible to get on with things other than 'portfolio monitoring' sometimes...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”