Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Portfolio Review 2020

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
NoBidNoOffer

Portfolio Review 2020

Postby NoBidNoOffer » January 1st, 2021, 4:28 pm

I can remember posting a portfolio review in December 2019 and looking back I still wasn't sure what I was doing back then 12 months later well the world is most certainly a different place and so is my investment knowledge and portfolio.

I have a Funds only approach as I sold all my UK stocks in April 2019 as I attempted to ‘Brexit Proof’ my portfolio and little did I know it would help me with the Covid crash in March and more so the recovery in the US and Asia.

I somehow managed to buy the bottom of the dip in March (23rd) and topped up my existing funds as well as a rebalance in April. The top ups explain why my returns are probably better than those you’ll find in the funds stats for 1 year.

I sold 3 funds during 2020, LTGE, Fidelity Asian Dividend (Jan 2020) and L&G Global Index (July 2020)

I bought 5 Funds in 2020, BG Asia Pacific, L&G Global Tech, L&G Global Index (Jan 2020).

BG Long Term Global, BG Positive Change (October 2020).

My portfolio gave me a 39% return for the year which has been my best ever investing year. I know a hell of a lot more about my investing self now I actually have an investment strategy in place.

1. Not to panic when there's volatility.

2 Don't tinker resist the temptation.

2. ignore the noise from day traders, short term sellers, financial journalists, national news etc.

3. Remember it's 5-10 year strategy.

4. fund top ups are good.

5. I only invest in funds which I'm comfortable with as I will know Its' strategy and knowing , where it invests and which companies it holds. I now sleep very peacefully at night no matter how many times I look at my valuation.

6. I will hold my hands up and say I got lucky buying the bottom of the dip as I read that day that a hedge fund guy had started buying, so I did!

Lady Luck shone on me with Smithson, which I topped up in March at £9.10, which was below the initial £10 offer price. That was a once in a lifetime deal for many and there's a story behind it regarding over zealous bank security when I was looking to buy it a week earlier and luckily for me didn't happen.

I don't expect 2021 to give me similar returns but anything over 10% will be a bonus.

Happy New Year to you all.

% Holding - % Gain/Loss

AXA Framlington Global Technology Z Acc 12.65% +57.61%

Baillie Gifford Long Term Global Growth Investment B Acc 4.94%. +9.67% (added end of October)

Baillie Gifford Pacific B Acc 27.32% +51.25%

Baillie Gifford Positive Change B Acc 5.10% +13.25% (added end of October)

Fundsmith Equity I Acc 29.28% +26.35%

L&G Global Technology Index Trust I Acc 11.89% +48.13%

Smithson Investment Trust 8.83%. +57.16%

Region - USA 50%, Asia 30%, Europe 12% & UK 8%

Portfolio up 39%

comments are welcome

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Re: Portfolio Review 2020

Postby Adamski » January 13th, 2021, 1:24 pm

Nice portfolio! Impressed with the return, and timing. Missed this post as was on new year. Demonstrates benefits of a concentrated portfolio, without trackers or bonds, in the post Match bull market. Not sure I could be that brave though. Cheers

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”