Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

StevieFolio

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

StevieFolio

Postby Gostevie » March 10th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Dear Fools,

This is a table of my current ‘main’ portfolio of companies and trusts. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

For background, I am 57 years old and took early retirement last August, although I might take on some consultancy work if and when we come out of lockdown. I am single, live alone in a studio flat in London, and currently have enough cash to last me for several years, plus a smaller ISA and a handful of Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs).

The yield figures above are based on my own estimates so might not be entirely accurate, in fact they almost certainly aren’t, but I think are close enough.

Very best wishes,

Gostevie

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: StevieFolio

Postby TUK020 » March 11th, 2021, 5:27 pm

My initial reaction is not on the high yield components of the portfolio, but more along the lines of asset allocation.
If I were sat on this, I would be tempted to put 5% into a physical gold ETF as insurance (i.e. what happens to the markets if China invaded Taiwan, and the world's semiconductor foundries got blow up), and 5% into one or more growth/speculative ITs as a longevity punt - what would help with nursing costs in 35 years time?
Monks or SMT or something like that.

andyalan10
Lemon Pip

Postby andyalan10 » March 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm

A large part of me admires your simple portfolio, as I can't seem to get below 30 or so shares in my own. Then I think to myself - Is there any private pension in addition? Are you/will you be entitled to a full state pension? Because if either of those are the case then I really wouldn't worry too much about diversification and might just look for one or two more individual shares "for fun".

I'm not familiar enough with the various trusts to know how they pan out in terms of international and sector diversity, but personally I am still finely balanced between "the UK market is very cheap" and "the UK economy is very stuffed". So haven't done any conscious rebalancing in recent times.

Andy

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 14th, 2021, 9:36 pm

There's quite a sizeable allocation to oil, tobacco and real estate. I wouldn't be comfortable with so much in arguably "old economy" sectors.

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » March 14th, 2021, 11:29 pm

andyalan10 wrote:A large part of me admires your simple portfolio, as I can't seem to get below 30 or so shares in my own. Then I think to myself - Is there any private pension in addition? Are you/will you be entitled to a full state pension? Because if either of those are the case then I really wouldn't worry too much about diversification and might just look for one or two more individual shares "for fun".

I'm not familiar enough with the various trusts to know how they pan out in terms of international and sector diversity, but personally I am still finely balanced between "the UK market is very cheap" and "the UK economy is very stuffed". So haven't done any conscious rebalancing in recent times.

Andy

Hello andyalan10. Thank you for your valued input.

I will be entitled to a full state pension in just over 9 years (assuming the goalposts aren't moved) and currently hold a very small holding in Boohoo as a bit of a gamble plus some VCTs and plenty of cash. I really don't know if the "UK market" is cheap or expensive, and to be honest I don't think that many others do, even though some think that they do. For me, not knowing, and knowing that one doesn't know, is better than thinking that one knows when really one doesn't. That seems to be a trait amongst younger people.

I will probably put some cash into more speculative or "fun" stocks when I can stuff another £20k into my ISA next month.

Very best wishes,

Gostevie

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 15th, 2021, 5:54 am

Gostevie wrote:
For background, I am 57 years old and took early retirement last August, although I might take on some consultancy work if and when we come out of lockdown. I am single, live alone in a studio flat in London, and currently have enough cash to last me for several years, plus a smaller ISA and a handful of Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs).

Gostevie, how much debt? Be honest now... ;-)

GS

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » March 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Gostevie wrote:

GS

I now have no debts, unless you count one credit card that I use for grocery purchases etc. and pay off in full every month.

Gostevie

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 15th, 2021, 9:55 am

Gostevie wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
Gostevie wrote:

GS

I now have no debts, unless you count one credit card that I use for grocery purchases etc. and pay off in full every month.

Gostevie

Ha ha, hope you enjoyed having the chance to write that :-)

Regards the portfolio, it looks pretty good to me, though I don't know the individual funds, just looks like some decent diversification. I'd suggest two things:
1. Review the funds and take note of any that have silly fees.
2. As the bull market gets longer in the tooth, look to hold a bit more cash (or medium gilts/solid corporate bonds if their yields back up nicely). If you do so by selling some of your current holdings, prioritise the funds you identified in step 1 with the excessive fees.

GS

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”