Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Portfolio analysis - L&G funds not recognized in x-ray

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Berzelius

Portfolio analysis - L&G funds not recognized in x-ray

Postby Berzelius » March 20th, 2021, 3:45 pm

I'm trying to do my first ever portfoilio review and re-balance. In particular, I want to understand how I'm split on equities vs bonds, the geographical split, and how I'm positioned on growth vs value stocks.

I have (i) a home-grown portfolio of funds, and (ii) a DC pension fund held with L&G
I've used the Morningstar instant x-ray tool on my own portfolio, and it's given me some useful breakdowns across different dimensions.

I tried to do the same for the L&G pension investments, but I've hit a brick wall. The pension is spread across ten different funds. They are all listed on the L&G investment management fund centre, and each has an associated fact sheet, but I can't find any identifiers (e.g. ISIN codes) that Morningstar x-ray will recognize. The only codes they have seem to be purely internal to L&G, for example "Commodity Index Fund" is LGCE.

I'm thinking that the only way to progress this would be one of the following:
- find some universally recognized codes for each fund (I've tried, and this now seems unlikely)
- for each fund, find an ISIN for a different fund that has the same characteristics, which I could substitute for the purposes of an x-ray portfolio analysis
- look for an alternative to Morningstar that will recognize the L&G internal codes and provide similar analyses (also seems unlikely)

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Portfolio analysis - L&G funds not recognized in x-ray

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » March 21st, 2021, 8:34 pm

I don't know how much detail is in the factsheets, but if you treat your portfolio as 100 units and then work out the proportion in each fund then you know the proportion each fund accounts for (i.e. Fund 1, 35 units, Fund 2, 15 units, Fund 3, 10 units, etc.)

Within that, with the aid of a spreadsheet and the factsheet for each, you could take the geographical split for each fund or the equity / bond split and then do a sum of the parts to work out the proportion for the portfolio as a whole.

Best wishes

Mark.

Berzelius

Re: Portfolio analysis - L&G funds not recognized in x-ray

Postby Berzelius » March 22nd, 2021, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, the fact sheets list only the top few investments. I had thought of trying to find a complete list and then doing some spreadsheet work as you describe, but it would be a lot of effort that I would have to repeat each time (presumably, as the investments change over time). Then I would also have to decide myself how each investment matched my dimensions analysis; yes, I could probably work out the geography, but I don't have the knowledge to decide on things like growth vs. value vs. blend

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”